The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
1971short4X4

braided steel power steering hoses

I am looking to replace the power steering hoses on my 1968 2wd from stock to braded steel lines.

Can someone tell me a source to get both the feed and return hoses in some nice braded steel lines ? what is the cost? also what fittings do i need to specify for each end of the feed and return line. (stock quick ratio ps box and stock integral resevoir ps pump)

thanks so much
tom
1971short4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
mikemileski

Re: braided steel power steering hoses

I had to replace one of my hard lines that had messed up threads on one of the tube nuts. All I did was buy two Earl's -6 inverted flare fittings (see pic), the one with 1/2-20 threads, along with two -6 swivel fittings and some -6 braided hose and made a line up. The Earl's fittings screw into the radiator and the transmission just like the original hard line did. Let me tell you, it was a lot easier feeding that flexible braided line though the motor mount area compared to a steel hard line. It works perfectly and I'll eventually do the other line so that they match.

Mike Mileski
Tucson, AZ
Attached Images

mikemileski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
mikemileski

Oops, I just noticed that you said power steering hoses, not tranny hoses. The process should be the same. Match the inverted flare fitting you need to buy to the tube fittings on the ends of your existing lines and then make your braided lines to fit.

Mike Mileski
Tucson, AZ
mikemileski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Alex Hayley

Remember that one of the hoses is a high pressure line. I don't know if this is beyond the pressure that a homemade braided hose can handle. Regardless, I had mine made by Royal Brass and Hose. I sent them my old lines and they replaced the rubber hose with braided line.
Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Racinaround

edited

Last edited by Liz; 12-01-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: vending
Racinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
tk-mpl

I just went to a bulk hose supplier and got some stainless covered teflon hose and got the fittings and built them. They should have all the fittings to do it. You could go with Russel fittings but they are $$$.
Trevor
Dominator 2600's all around.
Porterbuilt tubular control arms.
Magnaflow 3" dual exhaust.
tk-mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
1968SWBBigBlock

I had zero luck trying to find the correct fittings from any source other than street rod shops, jegs or summit.
It is my understanding that the high pressure side exceeds the psi rating for most "russel" style hoses.
You can buy a kit from one of the above sources for around 250 bucks.
It will come one end assembled the other side you will trim to fit and install your own ends.
This set up is on my wish list.
I agree with the above - I ran my tranny lines with jegs fittings and braided hose - looks much nicer and much easier to deal with than the hard lines from the factory
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Sammy

If you had a line for them to copy. you could go to a Tractor Supply that has the proper equipment for high pressure lines. Another place to check would be a Speed shop. I have seen some local fabricators at auto swap meets that make custom lines. The price for a pressure PSL was about $40 - $50. Good Luck.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Racinaround

I got busted for putting my phone # here but if you figure out a way to contact me i can show you what to do

trying to be helpful, Rick
Attached Images

Racinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
bigsnookmaster

I made my own. I bought the fittings and hose from Jeg's. They are stainless AN fittings, Not aluminum! The hose is teflon, and it's a PITA to make them, way harder than typical braided stainless hose, but it is doable. I'm not sure exactly what size they are, but they are specific for power steering. Good luck
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #11
mosesburb
I had a V-8

The hose must be Teflon lined for durability. They are a ***** to make compared to standard silicone lined hose, but within a year or so, the silicone lined hose will start seeping through the braided jacket. I have done it both ways, but will only do Teflon lined hose from now on.
The adapter fittings you need are going to be:

Qty (2) 5/8-18 inverted flare to -06 (One for the pressure fitting on the pump and one for the return side of the box)

(Qty (1) 11/16-18 inverted flare to -06 (steering box pressure fitting)

The hose end fittings you will have to decide yourself on which ones will work (plan on being wrong at least once--I have a good size stash of fittings for and because of this reason)

The Teflon lined hose will not slip over the return hose nipple on the pump reservoir. You will need to either weld on a -06 male fitting to the hose nipple, or use regular silicone lined braided hose for the return line. The regular silicone lined hose is more than sufficient for the return side and will slip over the nipple (secure with standard hose clamp), but it has a different outside diameter, so it will look different.