The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
gopokes

Lifting cab

Hey guys I need a little help. I am getting ready to shorten my longbed down to a shortbed and want to do it without taking the cab all the way off. I am using my truck as a dd right now and am affraid if I take the cab all the way off I will be going down a bad path... I already told my wife this wouldn't take up the garage for too long. Does anyone know how high i can lift the cab off of the frame without actually removing it completely?? I think if i can get it up a few inches it will give me enough room to cut and reweld the frame. I will be reinforcing it like glock35ipsc did on his build. I have read that faq like 20 times. My brother will be helping me with the welding and says it shouldn't be a problem (he's been welding for over 20 yrs). I just wanted to get some more input before jumping in with both feet. Thanks!
gopokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Lifting cab

I don't see how you could clean and weld properly with the cab on the frame at all.
I would say get everything ready, then on thu upcoming 3 day weekend, pull it in on friday after work and you'll have 3 1/2 days to do it.
You don't want to take any short cuts on the welding you'll do to the frame.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
gopokes

That's kind of what i was worried about but i saw the one they did on sporttruck.com and they didn't take the cab off. That's what gave me the idea. But I would definitely take your word for it before than do something unsafe. You guys don't know how much I appreciate all the posts on this website. Looks like I'm taking the cab off! How long does it normally take to get one off. Hopefully I will have some progress to post on here before too long. Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

2 guys with strong backs, no beer, an engine hoist, no one nagging and complaining for you to do this or that... you should be able to pull the whole body off the frame in less than 8 hrs... that's added time IMO for rusted bolts and stuff. (assuming you do have air tools and a torch on hand)
I'd say 2 guys with the same equipment who know these trucks inside and out could have it done in less than 5
Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
gopokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
2 guys with strong backs, no beer, an engine hoist, no one nagging and complaining for you to do this or that... you should be able to pull the whole body off the frame in less than 8 hrs... that's added time IMO for rusted bolts and stuff. (assuming you do have air tools and a torch on hand)
I'd say 2 guys with the same equipment who know these trucks inside and out could have it done in less than 5
Thanks longhorn man, but no beer?? Just kiddin, that can wait till after. I will have help from my bro, we grew up on the farm so we have been working on cars, trucks, tractors, and whatever else that needed fixing. But neither of us have ever taken a cab off of a truck, I just didn't want to end up with my truck still in pieces on Monday morning needing a ride to work.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

it may be a good idea to have one lined up though... just in case.
You could just call in sick!
Keep us posted.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 03-24-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

I strongly recommend that you cover every possible obstacle and plan ahead. I'd buy all the parts you could possibly need - you can always return them - it's better to have and not need, then get halfway into a project and be ass-out because you don't have the parts.

I would strongly recommend getting a cab mounting/bushing kit (in case you weren't planning on it)

I'd test the fuel lines coming into the cab - they might come apart easily - and might need replaced.

You're going to have the cowl off - spend 40 bucks on the cowl screen inserts/guards and take the opportunity for an easy convenient upgrade.

don't forget to have the new brake lines -

just my $.02
blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

also, have you considered the driveshaft issue????? Do you have an extra to be cut down - you mentioned it was your DD, right?
blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
71 super

It can be done with the cab lifted. Lift cab, cut the frame, slide it back, make the second cut and slide the frame back and weld using a diamond shaped plate. Then you can cut the rear of the frame at your lessure. Be sure that you get good measurements and triple check them before you cut. I have seen the Z cut and seems to be the best route imo, also be sure to bevel the edges to get maximum weld contact. 2 day weekend should get it if no distractions or fires etc. Remember you will be working near gas lines and rubber so keep the extinguisher close at hand. Good luck.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
gopokes

I have thought of the brake lines, driveshaft, and fuel lines. Haven't thought about the cowl and body mounts. Thanks blazer! I was doing some searching online and found a site that did a frame cut behind the cab. Has anybody on here tried this?? I'm already starting to feel something coming on for that monday!!