The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
1971_c10

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Awesome build!!

Thanks!!!

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #2
Seventy Two

Subscribed
Seventy Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
1971_c10

A little update guys, sorry for being away for a while. Between work travel and the holiday I got a little behind on things. I've been waiting for a 2nd set of headers to trial. Shipment went from 12/23 to 1/3 and hopefully the 1/3 sticks. In the meantime I've knocked a couple items off the honey-do list.

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Hart_Rod

Sweet build! Did you figure out the regulator mounting yet? I mounted mine to the back of the fuel rail.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
slowcpe

Very nice build! I went through a similar delima but never considered a complete chassis. I went with a PB Level 1 and c-notch rear.

It's been awhile since I looked at headers but I believe there is a guy on here with a similar setup that used Kook's TBSS long tubes. Since I work at a snails pace and turbo is still an option, I haven't looked into it any further. I did get a quote for custom headers and it was $2500-3000.

My buddy has a set of Boze wheels on his mustang and they are very nice. Wheels are similar to yours.

I recommend Bowler as well. Close to me and that's where I bought my t56 magnum from.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
RRR18

I like the passenger side mounting for service issues. I like center for appearance issues.

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:09 AM   #7
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Sweet build! Did you figure out the regulator mounting yet? I mounted mine to the back of the fuel rail.
Thanks Rob! I've been through a few of your build threads and love them and I've even pointed a few people towards the ChubTubz ...

I haven't quite figured out the regulator yet. Your option is very interesting, I hadn't thought of putting it straight on the fuel rail. I'll have to see if I've got clearance for something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Very nice build! I went through a similar delima but never considered a complete chassis. I went with a PB Level 1 and c-notch rear.

It's been awhile since I looked at headers but I believe there is a guy on here with a similar setup that used Kook's TBSS long tubes. Since I work at a snails pace and turbo is still an option, I haven't looked into it any further. I did get a quote for custom headers and it was $2500-3000.

My buddy has a set of Boze wheels on his mustang and they are very nice. Wheels are similar to yours.

I recommend Bowler as well. Close to me and that's where I bought my t56 magnum from.
Thanks Ryan! I'm actually following your build too! Was just getting caught up.

I know the thread you are talking about on the headers. Those are on the "trial" list a couple after the current set. I have called a couple shops local in CO and gotten rough estimates between $3200 and $5000 for custom headers. So I'll spend a bit on shipping headers back and forth, since Summit is so good on that stuff, but after 3 or 4 trials, and nothing, I'll probably bite the bullet on custom headers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR18 View Post
I like the passenger side mounting for service issues. I like center for appearance issues.
My dilemma exactly! I've come up with a 3rd option today that I'll see what it looks like once a set of headers shows up for trial fit. The 3rd option is putting the regulator down on the frame rail just in front of where the cab firewall would intersect, and the filter on the frame rail farther back under the cab. The regulator would still be easy to get to assuming header tubes aren't in the way (the No Limit frame rails are ~3" wider around the engine vs stock). I'll also check out Hart_Rod's idea too.

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Very nice build, thanks for getting in depth & sharing all the details.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
68bowtie

awesome build, very impressive.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #10
HellaciousA

Great build--I'm looking to purchase a pro-10 frame myself in the next couple months. My cab just got done being sand blasted and primed. Need to get the metal work done and then I'll buy the frame. I have a 05 lq4 and 4l80e waiting to go in, which will then be turbo'd.

I had some questions for you regarding the frame

1. Any tips on the shipping? I work at a body shop so I was planning on having it shipped there and then having a tow truck bring it home. I've seen some people cut out 3/4" plywood circles to bolt to the hubs as wheels to make it easier to roll. Or did you just put some dollies underneath it move it around?

2. What was the lead time for them to build the frame and get it to you?

3. Is there anything about the frame you didn't like or that you wish you would have changed? This will be one of the most expensive parts of my build, and I've been doing a lot of reading and comparing against the various frame companies.

4. How much clearance do you have between the passenger side frame rail and your
engine? I'm looking to run my downpipe in between there and was curious.

Thanks for the insight--can't wait to see your finished project.
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Auto
HellaciousA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #11
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaciousA View Post
Great build--I'm looking to purchase a pro-10 frame myself in the next couple months. My cab just got done being sand blasted and primed. Need to get the metal work done and then I'll buy the frame. I have a 05 lq4 and 4l80e waiting to go in, which will then be turbo'd.

I had some questions for you regarding the frame

1. Any tips on the shipping? I work at a body shop so I was planning on having it shipped there and then having a tow truck bring it home. I've seen some people cut out 3/4" plywood circles to bolt to the hubs as wheels to make it easier to roll. Or did you just put some dollies underneath it move it around?

2. What was the lead time for them to build the frame and get it to you?

3. Is there anything about the frame you didn't like or that you wish you would have changed? This will be one of the most expensive parts of my build, and I've been doing a lot of reading and comparing against the various frame companies.

4. How much clearance do you have between the passenger side frame rail and your
engine? I'm looking to run my downpipe in between there and was curious.

Thanks for the insight--can't wait to see your finished project.
Thanks HellaciousA! Here's some answers to your questions:

1) Shipping ... oh, I've kept UPS in business lately, at least that's what it feels like. I, like you, are on the opposite side of the country from No Limit (they used to be out your way in CA), so I looked at driving out to pick it up and by the time I paid for cost of fuel and hotels, it was cheaper to ship. I got lucky and have an uncle who was able to borrow a flatbed trailer that is normally used to haul tractors and other heavy objects. So I picked the chassis up from the local UPS shipping depot (UPS freight, separate from the normal UPS). They put it on the trailer, which was a little precarious as the chassis ships on it's side, so we had to lay it down. If I didn't have the flatbed trailer, my plan was to have it received at a local shop and then bust it out of the crate, put some wheels on it and rent a u-haul car trailer to haul it home. The biggest thing about receiving it at a shop is the shop would need to have a dock and forklift. So if the body shop you work at has a dock and can rent a forklift that would be your easiest bet. It will save you a bunch of cash shipping to a commercial address that can handle receiving. You could ship it to your home, but it's much more than the usual $75 lift gate fee.

Once I got it home, unloading was a challenge. We did use some furniture dollies and an engine hoist, but despite the furniture dollies rated to 1000 lb each, they really didn't like 600 lb over 2 dollies. Total shipment is around 1100-1200 lbs. Then I put it on jack stands, busted it out of the crate, and didn't move it from there until I got the wheels. If you could borrow a set of wheels that fit your brakes and have the right bolt circle that would be beneficial until you get your final wheels. Since there is no body, backspace doesn't matter. I would not haul it on a car trailer with 3/4" plywood wheels. They would work ok rolling around a shop, but I think the lateral loads on a trailer would just break them. Since I didn't move it once I got it un-crated, I didn't bother with the plywood temp wheels.

Piece of advice (aka lesson learned): If you pick it up on a trailer, make sure it gets loaded onto the trailer so that when you unload it you don't need to spin it around. My "shop" (oversized 2 car garage) is small and we unloaded it to only find out the front was at the back, so I needed to rotate it around which was a bit of a pain. So, if you are unloading it into a garage, and you want the front of the chassis not next to the garage door, make sure you load the front of the chassis facing the back of the trailer.

2) It was about a 12 week lead time. I forget the actual, but it was close to that. Rob did say if they were slow they could do them in 8 weeks, but they haven't been slow in a couple years, so I'd expect 12-14 weeks.

3) I haven't found anything major, so far I love everything about it. The only thing so far is I wish the front bumper mounts had been drilled for the factory brackets.

4) So space is interesting. The frame rails are 29" apart, about 3" over stock, but space is still at a premium. I took a photo to help you understand the space a little better. I put a tape measure against the top of the cylinder head, so looking down to the chassis it looks about 5" to the frame rail. As you can see though, this is only around the rear of the motor, and keep in mind I have the motor shoved way back. The suspension up front does eat into that space. Only thing I'd say though is you might skip the fuel line option. Rob routes the fuel lines down the passenger side and puts a "bulk head" right below the cab for the fuel lines. This is a very nice feature, but does constrain you a bit on where the fuel lines get routed.

Hope all that helps! Let me know if there is anything else or other photos you'd like to see. I'm glad to help out.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2017, 11:55 PM   #12
goldenburb

Way COOL Build.
Hope to see your ride out on Golden Cruz night this summer.
goldenburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenburb View Post
Way COOL Build.
Hope to see your ride out on Golden Cruz night this summer.
Thanks man! I hope to get out to Golden this year. I was bummed to not make any last year. But such is the life of custom hot rod building.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #14
jus2qwk

awesome build!
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1103c...chevrolet-c10/
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=598758
jus2qwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #15
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus2qwk View Post
awesome build!
Thank you!

------------------------

And to give you guys an update ... header ship date of 1/3 didn't hold. Next checkup is 1/17. Kinda stinks.

In the meantime, I've put the front clip back on and will be going through the task of getting the bumpers fitted. In the process, I found out why the front bumper never really aligned correctly. The previous owner had hand made some upper mounts using some 1/4" steel strips, a torch and brazed on a nut. Well, when he brazed the nut on, he did so at different distances from the bend in the bracket. So those are going in the trash can and I ordered a repro bracket kit from Summit (which is just Goodmark parts). I may have paid a couple bucks extra going through Summit, but their customer service has been awesome for me so I'll use them for most anything.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #16
1971_c10

Had a busy last weekend ... so I'll start with the front bumper.

Whew ... fitting the front bumper has been a micro PIA. Mainly for a couple reasons: 1) I'm a bit OCD when it comes to getting the body features aligned; 2) the bumper itself isn't truly symmetrical; 3) the bumper mounts aren't quite the same as the factory. So keep in mind, the No Limit chassis doesn't have any holes drilled in the bumper mounts. I'm assuming this is so you can mount whatever you want with a clean slate, be it an OEM style bumper, roll pan, or a steel bar.

So it's a process of putting the bumper up, eyeballing fit, taking it down, shifting things around, repeat. Oh, and the grill is in that mess too.

After a few hours of trials, I finally got the holes for the bottom bumper mounts figured out. I then proceeded to punch a couple 1/2" holes in my nice pretty chassis. Hence the 4th reason it took me so long to get here. I didn't want to screw it up. The bottom holes set the height, and subsequently the alignment to the fenders.

Next up were the upper mount brackets and getting those positioned and holes drilled. The upper mounts set the tilt of the bumper.

So for those of you that want the details for measurements, here they are.
For reference, I used the cross bar that is the radiator support as the reference for front to back measurements, the outside face of the bumper mount for the side to side and the bottom for up/down.

Bottom hole: About 1/2" up from the bottom of the bumper mount, wrap this around onto the front of the mount, then about 1.25" in from the outside. My lower bumper holes were 26" apart, so that drove the 1.25" based on the outside to outside of the bumper mounts being 28.5"

Top Hole: I used the OEM style upper bracket. This one is 5 5/8" forward from the cross bar. I then put the hole close to the center, maybe a little outside of center. But I made sure I did the same thing on the left mount I did on the right mount.

I may wind up slotting the bottom hole to improve the mounting just a touch, but for right now it's just a 1/2" hole.

Then last set is the outside holes. They have a bracket I'll need to modify since the frame rails are roughly 3" wider vs stock. These mainly keep the bumper from flopping around and give it some additional structural support. So far I've sectioned 1.5" from the bracket, but I think I need a little more.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2017, 12:03 AM   #17
1971_c10

The other fun I had was ... HEADERS! They arrived 1/16. So I got them installed. These look pretty good. They clear the steering shaft and have great clearance to everything around the engine. Now, I don't have gaskets installed which will change the clearance around the steering shaft, but there is at least room to modify the tube if I need to, either by hammer or having a shop rework the routing a bit.

Also, these are long tube. They do come pretty close to the chassis cross member, so hopefully a shop can deal with the tight turns the exhaust would need to make. The other detail of the collector is the O2 bung points to the chassis rail and I'm not sure if there is enough room for the sensor. I have the sensors, but haven't tried to install one just yet. Worse case, I am thinking a shop can either cut and rotate the collector or just add another bung on the inside of the collector.

Here are the details of these headers:

Hooker Blackheart 304 Stainless for a 68-72 A-Body
1 7/8" primaries
3" collector
PN: 70101318-RHKR
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #18
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Very Very nice!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #19
Advanced Design

I agree the headers look fun...bumper fitting...more like work. Nice job on getting it there, most folks won't comprehend the time spent getting bumper in right place.
We do though, appreciate the updates.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #20
knomadd

Nice looking project. I'm in to see how you progress. I like what you've done so far.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #21
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOCKISH View Post
Very Very nice!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
I agree the headers look fun...bumper fitting...more like work. Nice job on getting it there, most folks won't comprehend the time spent getting bumper in right place.
We do though, appreciate the updates.
Thanks! Yeah, and to make it more fun I was solo during all those trials. There were a couple times an extra hand would have come in handy to tighten a clamp! lol

And the chassis is so straight and square, it's pointing out other body alignment issues, like a low front corner on the passenger fender, and a rocker/door alignment on the passenger door that was there when I bought it, since I haven't touched the door alignment, but now shows up. Oh this will be fun on final assembly with pin stripes in the paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Nice looking project. I'm in to see how you progress. I like what you've done so far.
Thank you!

----------------------------------

And spent the day yesterday cleaning up the shop and organizing. Reason? The body will be coming back off in the coming days. Time to work towards finishing up the firewall mods.

Couple thoughts/questions for you guys:

-I'm thinking of relocating the fuse box since the number of wires has gone down significantly since I will now have a wire feed in the trans tunnel for the engine harness. Have you guys done relocations? If so, where? A couple thoughts I've had are under the driver seat (saw this on a another build) and in the kick panel.

-Parking brake: I'm toying around with changing this to a parking brake handle on the floor next to the floor shifter. Any thoughts or experience moving the parking brake from the OEM location? Even if I keep the OEM foot brake, I make look to modifying the cable routing so it does not exit the firewall. Thoughts?

Thanks guys! I love the feedback.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:25 AM   #22
rob32472

I have always thought of building a recess in the kick panel for the fuse panel. As far the e-brake the electric systems make for a clean look. You have an awesome build going.
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #23
knomadd

Check out the e-stopp for the parking brake if you're wanting to get rid of the cable exiting the firewall. It's electric, like Rob suggested. It's a bit pricey, but I've heard good things. Was wanting to do this myself, but couldn't afford the extra cost when I was doing my firewall.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:05 PM   #24
1971_c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob32472 View Post
I have always thought of building a recess in the kick panel for the fuse panel. As far the e-brake the electric systems make for a clean look. You have an awesome build going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Check out the e-stopp for the parking brake if you're wanting to get rid of the cable exiting the firewall. It's electric, like Rob suggested. It's a bit pricey, but I've heard good things. Was wanting to do this myself, but couldn't afford the extra cost when I was doing my firewall.
Thanks guys! I checked into the e-brake today and found the e-stopp unit through google. It definitely looks like a well put together package. But wow, it does come with a price tag. Something I'll have to consider. Right now, I'm looking at around $100 to retro-fit my OEM pedal and convert it to a "down" cable so it won't exit the firewall. The e-stopp setup is ~$500. So that $400 difference is a good chunk of a driveshaft or exhaust. Fortunately, I can delay that decision a bit. It is a very tempting option.

And started pulling the body back off yesterday. Once I get the body off I'll finalize the driveline setup and get a driveshaft on order (hopefully the last long lead time item). I only live about 20 min from Mark Williams Enterprises so I'll probably buy local for that purchase!
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #25
1971_c10

Hey all, sorry for the delay in updates. We lost a family member on Jan 24th ... that's never easy even when it is somewhat expected.

Back to the truck, the body has been completely removed. That also gave me a different perspective on the header collector situation. It looked better from the bottom, but when looking from the top, not so much. Plus, the headers are hitting my transmission bell housing even with gaskets now installed (the shift the header off the head oh so slightly). So I may call Holley and ask them about it. Plus the #3 tube got really close to the steering shaft. Had about 1/16-1/8" clearance, not much. So with a better picture on fit, I'm started to have 2nd thoughts. It's mainly around the collector alignment. It's worse than I initially thought. I can re-work the #3 tube and put a could dents in the 2 tubes hitting the trans, but that sharp turn after the collector might be more pressure loss than I want to deal with.

Any one have any thoughts?
Attached Images