The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
May70

6L series trans column shift?

Ive done a few searches on this topic without a whole lot found.

Today I saw a swapped truck with a claimed ididit column and 6L trans. I tried getting answers out of the guy but he literally couldn't tell me anything about it. He was persistent its a 6l on a column and it worked flawlessly.

I called ididit last week and they said they do not have any product that supports 6L and up trans missions, no exceptions without a ton of work and they even said not worth it. They said the only way that could possibly happen would be with:
• Drastic modification to the column (drilling out linkage slides)
• Fabricating your own linkage system
• Even then the lever would be clear down to the floor with the needed range.
I don't have a lot of knowledge on this subject. My research seems to conclude people either do some sort of dial switch like the new trucks have OR have a console shift setup for the 6L series and up.

Does anyone on this forum have a column shift 6L setup? I am probably going to end up with a 6L to at least sell from the swap I pull from but I would like to know if its possible or not. I do not want a late model column in my truck, either period correct or something like the ididit style. I dont care about manual shift other than a non-overdrive selection for towing.

Thanks

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #2
67-C10

Re: 6L series trans column shift?

I'm in the same boat. Just dropped in my 6l90e. The pattern isn't any different than a 4l though. It's still P,R,N,D,3,2,1. My stock lingage isn't going to clear the speed engineering headers. I think I have to go lokar or similar setup for linkage but hope someone chimes in hear with some other options or pics.

Project 67 short step Build Thread

01 Sierra Crew 6.0
2015 Ford F150 Work gave me truck i really wouldn't buy a ford.
67-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
littlehopper

While I have not done the swap yet, I am a GM technician. I can say the “6L” range is PRNDM so the lever should not be any lower than an original lever goes. The 6L uses switches/buttons to select desired gear only when in M(manual).
I’m thinking with some ingenuity one can either rework original linkage to function properly or utilize a cable like 6L donor for clearance/routing options. Modification to stock 6L manual shift lever is probable to obtain proper engagement.

Joe
littlehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
Jason Banks

Here ya go...
https://www.swaptimeusa.com/store/p2...Cable_kit.html

I watched his video about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0bgZnvmP7Y

I'd call him and ask about your application.

Looks like it might take some modification on our non squarebodies...
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:26 PM   #5
Jason Banks

I remember when that video came out. I went looking to see if I could figure out a way to do my 4l80 with a cable but decide to stick with the LOKAR ACA-1800 rod. It was just barely long enough.

I did see Jegs and others sell some generic cables:
https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Aut...87075/10002/-1
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:44 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
My '67 Chevy Panel Truck has an LS1/4l60e combo in it with Hooker cast iron headers and I am using the full stock Chevy shift linkage including the TH350 shift selector arm, cross bar and frame bracket . I have a GM tilt with a column shift. I don't think I have any pictures of it though. I will have to look.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:36 AM   #7
Bob B.

littlehopper is right. The 6L80 usually has only 5 shift detent positions. P, R, N, D, and M for manual. Some 6L90's in HD trucks have 6 shift detent positions, P, R, N, D, M, and a manual L. These transmissions do not have detents for every gear. I would think any cable shifter designed for a Hydra-Matic ought to work with the addition of a switch to manually select gears when the shifter is in 'M'. Be advised that if you are not doing a complete LS swap with a GM PCM you will need an additions stand-alone TCM for the 6L transmissions, and they run close to $1000. The internal TCM in the 6L valve body is part of the vehicle's CAN-BUS and can't function alone.

Last edited by Bob B.; 03-24-2022 at 12:44 AM.
Bob B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:47 AM   #8
Hatzman

What does the Manual position do in an LS SWAP? I am new to LS swaps and know nothing about the mechanics behind the L60e

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618848
Hatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:24 AM   #9
Richard

FWIU the M position allows manual control of shifting in a 6L80/6l90. I have a steering wheel paddle shifter setup from PSi along with harness for my LSA and 6L90. Hoping it works with little problems as I was told.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:41 AM   #10
Joyridin

I just put the Lokar ACA-1809 on my 6l with a column shift. Worked great! I have Speed Engineering headers and there was no problem. I had to bend the rod in 2 places to get it to not hit, but they state you may have to do this. My 6l came out of a truck. It has P-R-N-D-2-1. I do not have it running yet, but those are the shifting areas on the trans through the column.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:45 AM   #11
67-C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
I just put the Lokar ACA-1809 on my 6l with a column shift. Worked great! I have Speed Engineering headers and there was no problem. I had to bend the rod in 2 places to get it to not hit, but they state you may have to do this. My 6l came out of a truck. It has P-R-N-D-2-1. I do not have it running yet, but those are the shifting areas on the trans through the column.
Cool , I'll be ordering this kit up today. You got any pics of where you bent it at?

01 Sierra Crew 6.0
Old 03-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #12
May70

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehopper View Post
While I have not done the swap yet, I am a GM technician. I can say the “6L” range is PRNDM so the lever should not be any lower than an original lever goes. The 6L uses switches/buttons to select desired gear only when in M(manual).
I’m thinking with some ingenuity one can either rework original linkage to function properly or utilize a cable like 6L donor for clearance/routing options. Modification to stock 6L manual shift lever is probable to obtain proper engagement.

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B. View Post
littlehopper is right. The 6L80 usually has only 5 shift detent positions. P, R, N, D, and M for manual. Some 6L90's in HD trucks have 6 shift detent positions, P, R, N, D, M, and a manual L. These transmissions do not have detents for every gear. I would think any cable shifter designed for a Hydra-Matic ought to work with the addition of a switch to manually select gears when the shifter is in 'M'. Be advised that if you are not doing a complete LS swap with a GM PCM you will need an additions stand-alone TCM for the 6L transmissions, and they run close to $1000. The internal TCM in the 6L valve body is part of the vehicle's CAN-BUS and can't function alone.
So my swap may come from a 2009/2010 chevy express fedex truck (vin comes back as an express 3500 with a 6l90). Guy I know has one and is confirming they will let my pull engine/trans/etc. The dash has P,R,N,D,M,1. I assume 'M' is manual shift mode and '1' is just first gear? I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it, so I went back and looked at the photo I snapped of the dash.

Ive never driven a newer truck with this technology so would this truck have some sort of +/- switch on the shift lever?

I don't really care for the option to shift manually unless that is the only way to avoid the OD gears. In my 90, it had P,R,N,OD,D(just locks out OD). I just need to be able to lock out the OD gears. How can I accomplish this?

Ididit made it seem like it was a massive hassle to even attempt this so I am now conflicted.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations

Last edited by May70; 03-24-2022 at 02:01 PM.
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #13
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-C10 View Post
Cool , I'll be ordering this kit up today. You got any pics of where you bent it at?
I tried to take pics, but you cannot see the rod due to the hydroboost. I had to bend it slightly right where the firewall goes from straight down to slight angle back. I also had to bend it about 2" above where the rod mounts to the lever that mounts on the trans. The lower bend was to clear the 6l trans lines. We are only talking a few degrees in each bend. I also had to shorten the rod about 3", but you may not have to do that as I moved the column an inch or so.

Really, it went smooth as silk. Considering all the other hassles I've had, the linkage was great.
Attached Images

Last edited by Joyridin; 03-24-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:44 PM   #14
67-C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
So my swap may come from a 2009/2010 chevy express fedex truck (vin comes back as an express 3500 with a 6l90). Guy I know has one and is confirming they will let my pull engine/trans/etc. The dash has P,R,N,D,M,1. I assume 'M' is manual shift mode and '1' is just first gear? I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it, so I went back and looked at the photo I snapped of the dash.

Ive never driven a newer truck with this technology so would this truck have some sort of +/- switch on the shift lever?

I don't really care for the option to shift manually unless that is the only way to avoid the OD gears. In my 90, it had P,R,N,OD,D(just locks out OD). I just need to be able to lock out the OD gears. How can I accomplish this?

Ididit made it seem like it was a massive hassle to even attempt this so I am now conflicted.
The shifter has a +/- to select the max range in m mode. So set in m and select 4 it only goes 1-4th. I got mine from a van as well. In D it will run 1-6. I also pulled the BCM as the shifter connects to that as well as the AC and tow haul mode button. I know that there is an option in software to run the up/down buttons directly to the ecm and not use the BCM but I have other plans and taking that route. Overdrive on the 6 speed is both 5th and sixth and 4th isn't true 1to1 like old trans. It's closer to 1.1 if I remember.
If there letting you yank the stuff out of the fedex van grab the harness coming into the cab with the BCM gives you some options if you want and wasn't much extra time yanking it out. Gas Pedal in the 2011 I pulled had the square connector for gas pedal and the pedal itself didn't fit well at all. Swapped over to one out of an impala just need to repin the connector and swap ends as it's oval shape.

01 Sierra Crew 6.0
Old 03-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #15
67-C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
I tried to take pics, but you cannot see the rod due to the hydroboost. I had to bend it slightly right where the firewall goes from straight down to slight angle back. I also had to bend it about 2" above where the rod mounts to the lever that mounts on the trans. The lower bend was to clear the 6l trans lines. We are only talking a few degrees in each bend. I also had to shorten the rod about 3", but you may not have to do that as I moved the column an inch or so.

Really, it went smooth as silk. Considering all the other hassles I've had, the linkage was great.
Thanks for the pics. I'm running a 2011 6l90 that doesn't have the thermostat in the trans output lines so have a little more room to spare there.

01 Sierra Crew 6.0