The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
pantydropper

Talking the '68

My grandpa bought this from his uncle in the 70's and had it parked since 1996 in Nevada. Then he passed (RIP) almost exactly 1 year ago, and my grandma gave me the truck. I've rode in this truck since 3years old (now 32) and been hoping one day I could finally call it mine. Always loved the SWB but this is a LWB and I love it for totally different reasons.

It was one hell of a trip to dig the axels out of the dirt and bring it back home 300+ miles away. finally got the garage cleaned out and the girl backed in....

Now the project starts! to chop or not to chop, to patina or to primer out. SBC or BBC?! lol many years of reading and dreaming.. now the real work starts.. and I can honestly say im a little overwhelmed lol

just got to figure out a starting point.. First project. check it out. let me know what you think..

later alligator.

First day home... FARMTRUCK ANYONE?

Camper off..

finally in the garage.

the engine bay... TIRED 307

... after a little scrubbing

Interior Before

then some more cleaning...

pantydropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: the '68

I am in a similar boat: I got my truck from my dad and he bought it new off the lot. It has been parked for 21 years, but in a garage. I am confident I can get it running by summer.

You realize you are going to have to renew or replace the gas tank and every inch of your fuel lines right?

It's your truck but for me, I wouldn't change anything major. At one time I was all about chroming the truck but now I just want to keep it as close to original as I can.

For now, I'd stick with fixing what you have to fix to get it road worthy: you'll have plenty to keep you busy just doing that. By the time it's on the road, you'll have a better idea what you want.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
swamp rat

I love the whole trucks passed down thru family thing, sentamental value rules., i bought mine from my step dad.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
SCHRUMGMC

I have a truck that my great grandfather bought brand new and my Grandfather owned it as well and now I have it
If I was you I would drop a 350 in it and wax it, put new tires on and drive
Please do not chop it or do things that screw the look up, well I mean you can but then it would ruin things...just my opinion
Old 05-05-2015, 12:19 AM   #5
pantydropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I am in a similar boat: I got my truck from my dad and he bought it new off the lot. It has been parked for 21 years, but in a garage. I am confident I can get it running by summer.

You realize you are going to have to renew or replace the gas tank and every inch of your fuel lines right?

It's your truck but for me, I wouldn't change anything major. At one time I was all about chroming the truck but now I just want to keep it as close to original as I can.

For now, I'd stick with fixing what you have to fix to get it road worthy: you'll have plenty to keep you busy just doing that. By the time it's on the road, you'll have a better idea what you want.
I hear what you are saying about keep original, that's why I been thinking about patina. I def want to pull the old tired 307 out and put a nice new engine and trans. I plan to move the tank out of the cab and under the bed at some point. I hear its dangerous to have the tank in the cab for obvious reasons.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:23 AM   #6
pantydropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
I have a truck that my great grandfather bought brand new and my Grandfather owned it as well and now I have it
If I was you I would drop a 350 in it and wax it, put new tires on and drive
Please do not chop it or do things that screw the look up, well I mean you can but then it would ruin things...just my opinion
I hear ya tho man. that's why im torn.. at first I just want to start ripping it apart.. but its actually in pretty good shape (or at least everything is pretty much intact)

I got the custom bug on one shoulder

and the sweet little "keep it original" on the other..

I think since its a LWB keeping it original is probably the best thing I can do for it?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:32 AM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantydropper View Post
I hear what you are saying about keep original, that's why I been thinking about patina. I def want to pull the old tired 307 out and put a nice new engine and trans. I plan to move the tank out of the cab and under the bed at some point. I hear its dangerous to have the tank in the cab for obvious reasons.
Oh boy, that one (gas tank in cab) has been discussed at great length on here and even I started a thread about it. The consensus is that it's NOT a danger, in fact, the tank is much less exposed to road damage or to a rear-ender collision than it is if it's put under the bed. You also run into all sorts of "where do I put my filler cap?" issues back there as well. Now one thing you may have to worry about is where your vent line runs. I hear the 1968's vented gas fumes into the cab, but I can't speak from experience.

I may one day move my tank but I refuse to put in an "in bed cap" in as it's a truck, not some show piece, and I'll be hauling in mine. I also have a tow hitch I have to look out for....

I would like some space behind the seat for a tool bag, rifle sock, etc. (It's WV and not CA....people carry guns here where ever they go).

I do hope you keep it original as much as you can. Yes, you may want to get a new engine as rebuilds are expensive. If you had a 283 in yours I'd try to bum you out of it.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:33 AM   #8
68bowtie

did someone say BIG BLOCK??? yes please!! but don't touch that paint, it looks awesome...

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:44 AM   #9
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Your adventure began when you went and picked up the truck and brought it the 300 miles home. If your truck was mine I'd get her roadworthy, even with the original drivetrain if possible, and then drive the truck for a while and get to know her and you will soon figure out which direction you want to go with her. That truck even has factory air.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #10
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Your adventure began when you went and picked up the truck and brought it the 300 miles home. If your truck was mine I'd get her roadworthy, even with the original drivetrain if possible, and then drive the truck for a while and get to know her and you will soon figure out which direction you want to go with her. That truck even has factory air.
If she were mine, here's as far as I would go...after the roadworthiness, that is....Maybe get the rear tire more straight than I did...and remember the left bedside...but, you know....
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 05-05-2015 at 12:59 AM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
pantydropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
If she were mine, here's as far as I would go...after the roadworthiness, that is....Maybe get the rear tire more straight than I did...and remember the left bedside...but, you know....

lol that's badass.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Just clean her up and drive that beauty!

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #13
zellway

Thats a nice start. I can't wait to see that path you take on this.
1970 C10 step Project Jiminy http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=682647
RUST!? Thats just mother natures way of telling all of us.....MINE!!!!
zellway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #14
Justin@EntropyRad

killer fambly truck
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #15
cooperhw

Just take little bites at it. get her running (if you can). Make the brakes work.
Radiators, windshields, seats, and rust holes fixed are all nice things but make that truck where you can go out any time you want, fire it up, and drive to the stop sign and back. All the rest can come later.
Once it can move around as needed you will define "YOUR" clear path of what you want for YOUR truck.
If you notice not one of us has said "tear it down to the ground for that nut an bolt restoration". The reason is we have all seen too many young guys who do that and the trucks eventually get sold off as a failed project or parts and we try to steer folks away whenever we get the chance.

JMO
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #16
tommys72

Polish that paint, paint the wheels white, slap on some wheel covers. Get her running , driving and stopping safely....then drive the freshly painted white wheels off of it! Nice truck and family history behind*it.

Tom

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #17
chopnchaneled

Thumbs up Re: the '68

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post

X's 2
Get to know her first, Then one step at a time.
My avatar is what i finally came up with.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #18
pantydropper

Thanks for all the words of advice, very inspiring. I've read many other builds and first trucks on this forum (ive been a member for almost a year now, first time posting)

But there's something that feels way more inspirational when its YOUR truck.

I've done belts, hoses, took radiator to shop to be flushed and cleaned up, plugs and been trying to work on the brakes..

So far it starts up and actually purrrrsssss.. but I think the transmission is gone has fluild but wont ever shift into gear. brakes are GONE. and I need some rubber badly.

I found #'s on the block and they don't match the truck. my Gandma said that my gramps changed the engine at some point in the late 70's. looking up the numbers it looks like its a old 1970 307 out of like a Camaro or chevy car.

I really want to get a nice fire breathing 350 and a smooth transmission (along with BRAKES) so I can enjoy it and not worry about getting stuck somewhere...

Im going to continue to post pics, and hopefully start my very own "build" thread here in the following weeks. stay tuned.

again thanks for all the words of wisdom my fellow GM BROS!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #19
pantydropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellway View Post
Thats a nice start. I can't wait to see that path you take on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chevorlet View Post
Just clean her up and drive that beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
did someone say BIG BLOCK??? yes please!! but don't touch that paint, it looks awesome...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad View Post
killer fambly truck
THANKS ALL

FACTORY AIR AND ALL!! It looks like all I need is the Compressor..
and it was definite adventure starter bringing her home!

about killed us digging it out of the solid desert ground.. not to mention I had to drive 40mph 300miles home over DONNER SUMMIT.. lol otherwise I got really bad wobble/jack knife going.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #20
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

How about pics of the SPID?

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #21
pantydropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsriv2 View Post
How about pics of the SPID?
You ask and you shall receive..

and a pick of the block #s
Old 05-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #22
Oregon 1967 GMC

Red Cloth trim I love it. Pantydropper cool as hell name dude and I couldn't agree more with some of the advice esp. about repairing the rust etc and as you work on it you'll refine your thinking (and budget!) on which direction you want to go. I'm still deciding myself but have settled pretty much on stock, except dropping in 400 block, front disc, suspension upgrade, air conditioning..list keeps growing but I kept gas tank behind seat POR15 did amazing job and looks new inside, will just fix door window regulators no electric etc..put in new front glass..trying to keep it clean..and see what wallet allows next. Oakdale, is that the redneck part of California?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:56 AM   #23
pantydropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC View Post
Red Cloth trim I love it. Pantydropper cool as hell name dude and I couldn't agree more with some of the advice esp. about repairing the rust etc and as you work on it you'll refine your thinking (and budget!) on which direction you want to go. I'm still deciding myself but have settled pretty much on stock, except dropping in 400 block, front disc, suspension upgrade, air conditioning..list keeps growing but I kept gas tank behind seat POR15 did amazing job and looks new inside, will just fix door window regulators no electric etc..put in new front glass..trying to keep it clean..and see what wallet allows next. Oakdale, is that the redneck part of California?
lol thanks for the compliment and advise im def going to get her road ready. and I need brakes, BAD!!!!! how do you plan on doing front disc and suspension?? donor truck parts or aftermarket?

BTW OAKDALE CA is COWBOY CAPITOL OF THE WORLD! hehe

Best,
PantyDropper

Old 05-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #24
C/10 King

Hey, I just had breakfast at Ryder's in Oakdale, nice truck!!!
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:53 AM   #25
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantydropper View Post
BTW OAKDALE CA is COWBOY CAPITOL OF THE WORLD! hehe
wait i thought all californians were beach bums and hippies. i'm confused...

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote