The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
lenguini

[B]Has anyone used New Fenders ?[/B]

If you have followed my build ,you will see I have decided to use new outer front fenders and I'm wondering if anyone has some pictures on how theirs fit along the top....., where bolted to the inner fender.

Thanks,
Ed.

My build thread-project truck dream 65"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510863
lenguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
dean jendro
Old and crusty

Re: [B]Has anyone used New Fenders ?[/B]

If you haven't bought any save your money. They don't fit!! The materials are inferior (thinner than stock and easily dented). You will be better off buying the best set of used fenders and repairing them or repairing the ones you have. It sounds like a lot of work but you'll put far more work and money into those junk re-pop fenders, that are being imported and sold by everyone that sells after market parts for our trucks, than you will in repairing old ones.

There are many threads on this site that address this topic and if you look at enough of them you will realize the folly of these inferior parts.

Dean
dean jendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
lenguini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean jendro View Post
If you haven't bought any save your money. They don't fit!! The materials are inferior (thinner than stock and easily dented). You will be better off buying the best set of used fenders and repairing them or repairing the ones you have. It sounds like a lot of work but you'll put far more work and money into those junk re-pop fenders, that are being imported and sold by everyone that sells after market parts for our trucks, than you will in repairing old ones.

There are many threads on this site that address this topic and if you look at enough of them you will realize the folly of these inferior parts.

Dean
Thanks Dean.And yes I went through the pain with after market inners and rad support,Friday morning they went back to the supplier.Ended up with some nice originals.
I have a set of new outers but Im hoping any pics people post here will show me that their fitment is not much better than mine.

Cheers,
Ed.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
rustbucket66

In my blog about this, near the end , is what I had to do to make mine work. The upper bracket at the rear of the fender was not where it should be, and prevented the fender from getting close enough to the cab. There are pics on how you can correct it, if you have the same problem. It is called "How do you fix this? Repo body parts".
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
dean jendro
Old and crusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguini View Post
Thanks Dean.And yes I went through the pain with after market inners and rad support,Friday morning they went back to the supplier.Ended up with some nice originals.
I have a set of new outers but Im hoping any pics people post here will show me that their fitment is not much better than mine.

Cheers,
Ed.
The new set I got suckered on are laying in a corner somewhere. I keep them around to remind myself how much I hate junk parts. I wouldn't even attempt to resell them as I wouldn't do that to anyone. It's been too long since I bought them to send them back or I would. Good luck.
Dean
dean jendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
k1rodeoboater

...mine fit up just fine. Had to do a little tweaking to them but they both bolted up without near as much trouble as some of the other guys on here. They are lighter than the OE ones though.

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
lenguini

Hey folks Im looking for pictures here please.

Cheers,
Ed.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Who did you buy yours from? And was there a brand name on them?

And like Ed said, he is hoping to see some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1rodeoboater View Post
...mine fit up just fine. Had to do a little tweaking to them but they both bolted up without near as much trouble as some of the other guys on here. They are lighter than the OE ones though.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
lenguini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Who did you buy yours from? And was there a brand name on them?

And like Ed said, he is hoping to see some pics.
Hey Cap,mine were purchased here in Kelowna...,and they are made by or at least distributed by a company called Dynacorn.

Thanks for reminding everyone to post pics !

Cheers,
Ed.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I bought mine through Golden State Pickup Parts when they first came on the market in 1998. They were advertised as being genuine GM replacement parts made on original GM tooling, so I naively expected authentic GM fenders. Delivery was delayed for 3 months, supposedly because there was a sheet metal workers strike going on at GM.

I couldn’t believe how crappy they looked when they finally showed up. The front seam on both fenders was completely malformed and had to be filled. The position of the upper rear bracket allowed the fender to fit on the truck okay front to back, but the thoughtless assembly mangled the upper edge and could be seen when mounted. This is the only before picture I have of the new fenders:

The crown of the fender stuck out about ½” more than the door, in the center of the panel. It took a while to flatten it out without kinking the support bracket underneath. And as noted previously they are thin compared to OEM.

Reading about other members experiences, it seems the quality of these fenders has actually gotten worse than when I bought mine.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #11
lenguini

Really need some pics of the after market fenders mounted....., along the top where they meet the inners.

Thank you,
Ed.

Last edited by lenguini; 03-18-2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: spell
Old 03-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
lenguini

Happy Sunday everyone,just getting to the top of the page.

Really need some pics of the after market outer fenders mounted....., along the top where they meet the original inner fenders.

Thank you,
Ed.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
derail

Not really sure if this is what you're looking for or not. Let me know if you need something more specific. Excuse the lumber in some of the shots, I'm building a fence and everything is crammed into the garage.
Attached Images

derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
lucifer

Cool Re: [B]Has anyone used New Fenders ?[/B]

Yup bought a new set from CCP and they were a joke. Didn't fit worth a hoot!!!

Look for some real ones and fix em...

regards
Old 03-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
k1rodeoboater

Quote:
Happy Sunday everyone,just getting to the top of the page.

Really need some pics of the after market outer fenders mounted....., along the top where they meet the original inner fenders.

Thank you,
Ed.
I'd take pics for you but mine are off the truck while I do repairs LOL. Hopefully they will be back on sometime in the next 6 months .

They basically look exactly like stock. the washers on your bolts may not clear the folded up lip depending on how wide they are. If they are I put them into a vice and hit the edge with a flap disc on my grinder till it was short enough to fit. The only other trouble spot I had was by my cowls. I had to bend that tab back a little bit to make the fender fit back there. Aside from that a slight bit of trimming to the back side of the fender right up at the very front of the inner fenders was all that was needed and they bolted right up. They're not perfect, but they're better than what I had on the truck and I got them at dealer pricing. I was lucky to meet a guy through craigslist who restores old trucks as a side business, he orders direct from triplus and charges me dealer cost so he can keep his account there. If he doesn't order so much product a year he loses his account and his operating expenses go up. For us it was a win/win situation.

The biggest difference is on the front of the fender where there is the spot welded in part that matches up to the header panel. That doesn't have the best gaps in the world, but it's better than not having any aftermarket part out there.

I've seen a lot of guys *****ing about how they hate their repo fenders and wouldn't sell them to anyone so they just sit in a corner, yet I've never seen someone giving a set away....YMMV

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
lenguini

Quote:
Originally Posted by derail View Post
Not really sure if this is what you're looking for or not. Let me know if you need something more specific. Excuse the lumber in some of the shots, I'm building a fence and everything is crammed into the garage.
Hi and thank you,exactly what I was looking for.

How did you find these fit at the front grill area upper and lower ?
Could I talk you into a couple close up pics both sides of that as well ?

Cheers,
Ed.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
derail

Not a problem. That's why we're on here. The worst part of mine (bought at classic parts) are where the bottom meets the grill surround. I haven't really tried to tweak it too much yet and I'm sure it can be done. To tell you the truth, it doesn't really bother me. With the grill and bumper on, it's not super noticeable. The dent you can see on the driver's side front was damage from shipping that I haven't fixed yet.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
derail

And here is four more where you can see the bottom. The passenger side is a little worse than the driver's side.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
lenguini

Quote:
Originally Posted by derail View Post
And here is four more where you can see the bottom. The passenger side is a little worse than the driver's side.
Thanks for the pics,this will help alot.I appreciate it !

Cheers,
Ed.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

To my knowledge, Dynacorn does have their parts made overseas (Taiwan, China) to their specs. which according to the owner, is better than the majority of other suppliers. Of course that could have changed since I spoke with him about 6 years ago. So I take it, yours don't fit for crap?

Quote:
Hey Cap,mine were purchased here in Kelowna...,and they are made by or at least distributed by a company called Dynacorn.

Thanks for reminding everyone to post pics !

Cheers,
Ed.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
lenguini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
To my knowledge, Dynacorn does have their parts made overseas (Taiwan, China) to their specs. which according to the owner, is better than the majority of other suppliers. Of course that could have changed since I spoke with him about 6 years ago. So I take it, yours don't fit for crap?
Yes Cap,they are Taiwan and a better stamp than most parts,but as you put it fit like crap.
I'm talking to a member here on the site and will be getting original fenders from him.

Cheers,
Ed.