The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
bsmith76

New to the forum in need of some info.

Hello everyone. I am somewhat new to forum I had a username years ago and forgot what it was. After about 10 years I finally am about to start my 66 C10 Swb project the truck was my grandfathers and in rough shape so I acquired a 65 c10 lwb for a parts truck. I'm going to make 2 into one. I am still not sure if I want to go bagged or static drop. I seen the post earlier on this. I will be using the truck as a daily driver and doubt the bed sees any weight at all in it. Ive looked at suspension parts from cpp, porterbuilt, and ece. I'm looking for a comfortable ride that me and my girlfriend can enjoy. I've looked at many post on here with amount of drop and the look I'm going for is 4.5"-5" front and 6-7" drop in back. I have a 454 I'd like to put in the truck and have read several post on fitment. Headers seem to be a problem. Is there any other things I should be concerned about?

Here are a few pics of the donor truck. The truck rally's are not going on that was pics from seller I bought it from. My grandfathers has been in pieces for years I started project years ago and strayed from it with another car I restored. Thanks for any feedback.
Posted via Mobile Device
bsmith76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: New to the forum in need of some info.

Welcome back to the forum

The only real problem with big block headers in these trucks, is with the original clutch linkage, when the engine is in the original location. If you go with an auto trans, that is not an issue. If you want a manual trans, the easiest solution is converting to a hydraulic clutch. All in all installing a big block is not a big deal. There's just a few things that need to be done to make it easier. Such as trimming the top of the frame flange in the engine compartment. Also choosing a motor mount style that will work with the exhaust you want to run. I did mine almost 20 years ago, and I have since learned a couple things that would have made it a little easier. Let me know if you need any help.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
bsmith76

I was going to go with a 700r4 or th400. On Cutting the top flange do you have any pics of what needs removed. Also I will need to get motor mounts what do you suggest to get?

Does anyone have an opinion in which would give me the better ride I was looking at tubular trailing arms and tubular a-arms. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
bsmith76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It is difficult to keep a 700R4 behind a big block without spending big bucks. The TH400 will hold up no problem.

As for the frame flange, I don't have any pics handy. I always just use a '73-'87 frame as a pattern as what needs trimmed. I use poster board to make a pattern. A '68-'72 frame will work also, as they were available with big blocks also.

For the motor mounts, I prefer the '73 and up mounts as I like their design. A lot of guys don't like their looks. If you decide to use those, you will want the frame brackets from a C20 truck. Those will fit the early frames better than ones from a C10. Another motor mount is the '68-'71 big block brackets and mounts. Although the motor mounts themselves are a little difficult to find and $$$ when you do. Both of these will work with big block headers or exhaust manifolds. In all reality, you can use the motor mounts and brackets you have. However, you may have slight head/valve cover to firewall clearance issues. The '67-'72 small block motor mount brackets will move the engine to the forward set of holes. So you have 4 options for motor mounts. With the last 2, there may also be issues with the headers hitting the motor mount brackets.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
11echo

Quote:
Captainfab ...It is difficult to keep a 700R4 behind a big block without spending big bucks
I don't mean to high-jack this post, but I was planning to put a 700R4 behind a 454(street engine) ...what issues do you have with that trans?
11echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
rcbildr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11echo View Post
I don't mean to high-jack this post, but I was planning to put a 700R4 behind a 454(street engine) ...what issues do you have with that trans?
They can't handle that kind of torque, and (where I live) they are quite spendy to rebuild. And from what I read and heard people talk about them, even if they are built up they are still kinda delicate. I would rather use a TH-400 and then set up a gear venders overdrive.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut