The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
rs74

I need some schooling on different models.

Okay. So I am fairly new to these year trucks as far as knowing all the ins and outs of them. What I want to know is:

1. What are the steps in the models for these years. Do we start out with customs as a base model, then go to CST in certain years and Cheyenne/Super Cheyenne in other years.

2. For every different model that is made. What options are specific to each model. I mean I assume that if a custom is a base model then probably not to many options. The if we step up to a Cheyenne does that mean we start talking A/C among other things.

I hope this makes since. I am just trying to learn what all the models are and what options would fall within those models. I know what I am thinking just hard to put into words I guess.
What makes a CST a CST, What makes a Cheyenne a Cheyenne, What makes a Super Cheyenne a Super Cheyenne and so forth. I would like to know from the basic model up to the most optioned model.
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
rs74

Re: I need some schooling on different models.

I should probably just start with Chevy and not get into the GMC models at this time. I would like to get Chevy down first.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
jocko

You are primarily referring to "trim levels" - and it goes like this, in order of precedence (for trim levels):

69: Custom - Custom Sport Truck (CST)
70: Custom - Custom Sport Truck (CST)
71: Custom - Custom Deluxe - Cheyenne - Cheyenne Super (mid-year release)
72: Custom - Custom Deluxe - Cheyenne - Cheyenne Super

Custom: The base model - standard interior with molded door trim panels with armrests, dash pad, color-keyed steering wheel, side marker lights, rear view mirrors, series nameplate, painted hubcaps, painted bumper

Custom Deluxe: Adds patterned cloth seat cover, embossed door panels, dome light, lighter, high note horn, windshield/rear window bright moldings, Deluxe nameplate below (left justified) Custom.

Cheyenne: Adds: embossed vinyl seat cover, woodgrain on door panels, carpet, headliner, Cheyenne badge on fender, chrome front bumper, deluxe marker light bezels, cargo light, woodgrain lower body moldings and tailgate trim, bright fuel filler cap.

Cheyenne Super: Adds: houndstooth seat cover (black never an option - just olive, parchment, blue), full gauges, woodgrain dash bezel and woodgrain insert with aluminum plate backing on glovebox, Super nameplate left justified under the Cheyenne on each fender, stainless upper body moldings, chrome hubcaps.

The pics below shows what the different trim levels brought you:
Pic #1 & #2: 1972 trim levels
Pic #3 & #4: 1971 mid-year Cheyenne Super release
Pic #5 & #6: 1971 trim levels
Pic #7 & #8: 1970 trim levels
Pic #9 & #10: 1969 trim levels
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 01-25-2013 at 01:31 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
rs74

Thanks Jocko, that clarifies things up a little. Now as far as A/C, could you get that on any truck even if it was a base level truck?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
jocko

Pics 6-10:
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
Thanks Jocko, that clarifies things up a little. Now as far as A/C, could you get that on any truck even if it was a base level truck?
yes
Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
mydixiewrecked

I was just looking for this as well. Thank you!

Could you get a manual transmission on any year? I've been searching my local craigslist and haven't seen one.

Does the two tone paint mean it's a Cheyenne truck?
mydixiewrecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydixiewrecked View Post
I was just looking for this as well. Thank you!

Could you get a manual transmission on any year? I've been searching my local craigslist and haven't seen one.

Does the two tone paint mean it's a Cheyenne truck?
Welcome to the site mydixiewrecked. Yes, manual could be had on any truck, automatics (RPO M49 TurboHydromatics i.e. TH350 or TH400) were options (with some restrictions on which could go in what - such as 4x4's normally got TH350s, etc if an automatic trans option was selected).

No, a cheyenne could be had with solid color, standard two tone (i.e. different roof, usually white), or deluxe two tone (white/red/white/red, for example) - as could other models.
EDIT: Although Cheyennes weren't available pre-71, note that deluxe two tone was, but it was a little different: instead of white/red/white/red in 71/72, where as in 69/70, the red and white example for 69/70 would have been white roof/red body/white below the lower trim molding.

Last edited by jocko; 01-25-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #9
70cst

Hey mydixiewrecked

to the forums and from Ohio.

4x4 Trucks never cam with a Big Block.

Big Blocks that was optioned with an automatic came with the 400 Automatic.

Check out the LINK Below.

http://http://www.sporttruck.com/tec...pickup_trucks/

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #10
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
Okay. So I am fairly new to these year trucks as far as knowing all the ins and outs of them. What I want to know is:

1. What are the steps in the models for these years. Do we start out with customs as a base model, then go to CST in certain years and Cheyenne/Super Cheyenne in other years.

2. For every different model that is made. What options are specific to each model. I mean I assume that if a custom is a base model then probably not to many options. The if we step up to a Cheyenne does that mean we start talking A/C among other things.

I hope this makes since. I am just trying to learn what all the models are and what options would fall within those models. I know what I am thinking just hard to put into words I guess.
What makes a CST a CST, What makes a Cheyenne a Cheyenne, What makes a Super Cheyenne a Super Cheyenne and so forth. I would like to know from the basic model up to the most optioned model.
Check out this LINK

http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...pickup_trucks/

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
You are primarily referring to "trim levels" - and it goes like this, in order of precedence (for trim levels):

69: Custom - Custom Sport Truck (CST)
70: Custom - Custom Sport Truck (CST)
71: Custom - Custom Deluxe - Cheyenne - Cheyenne Super (mid-year release)
72: Custom - Custom Deluxe - Cheyenne - Cheyenne Super

Custom: The base model - standard interior with molded door trim panels with armrests, dash pad, color-keyed steering wheel, side marker lights, rear view mirrors, series nameplate, painted hubcaps, painted bumper

Custom Deluxe: Adds patterned cloth seat cover, embossed door panels, dome light, lighter, high note horn, windshield/rear window bright moldings, Deluxe nameplate below (left justified) Custom.

Cheyenne: Adds: embossed vinyl seat cover, woodgrain on door panels, carpet, headliner, Cheyenne badge on fender, chrome front bumper, deluxe marker light bezels, cargo light, woodgrain lower body moldings and tailgate trim, bright fuel filler cap.

Cheyenne Super: Adds: houndstooth seat cover (black never an option - just olive, parchment, blue), full gauges, woodgrain dash bezel and woodgrain insert with aluminum plate backing on glovebox, Super nameplate left justified under the Cheyenne on each fender, stainless upper body moldings, chrome hubcaps.
Not exactly but it is close.
67 through 70 the base trucks were simply a series, for example 20 or C/30. Then the Custom (which morphed into the Custom Deluxe on later trucks). Top of the line was the CST Custom Sport Truck (which became the Cheyenne). There were also Custom Camper name plates that trumped the series/trim fender emblems 67-71. So you can't always tell from the fender what is inside, like Jocko's 71 Cheyenne Super badged Custom Camper/20

Best thing to do is start with some brochures that you can buy online, from board vendors or eBay. Reprints are good for this and cheaper/easier to find. There are some online but not all models are covered, even so you can learn a lot from a Blazer brochure and more from an RV model overview.

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/GMTrucks/index.html

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/brochure...ruck&year=1967
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #12
SS Tim

On GMC think of these Chevys as nearly the same. Though not exact it will get you close.
Custom ~ C/30 ~ Custom
Super Custom ~ Custom ~ Custom Deluxe
Sierra ~ CST ~ Cheyenne
Sierra Grande ~ Cheyenne Super
Old 01-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #13
SS Tim

Funny the only trim option I can think of as being restricted was carpet. You could have a stripper (6cyl 3OTT) truck with buckets, carpet and the full 400 custom deluxe two-tone with all the moldings. Then of course that also worked the other way like a Cheyenne Super 30 stepside pickup with only the window trims, cargo lamp and front bumper as exterior dress up.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
nobolt

was there any option for 2 tone paint in the 67 trucks? i have seen different color grilles and roofs. but what about below the trim line?

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
SS Tim

Only the conventional (ivory roof) Two-Tone was offered in 67.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
nobolt

thanks Tim, i cant even find that in my brochure. correct me if i'm wrong....hood and eyebrow trim didn't start 'til 68 ? what about tail light trim?

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #17
SS Tim

68 had both the front eyebrow/hood trim and the tail lamp trim. Also the 68 grill panel would have been silver or ivory on most trucks both with and without the trim. Do you have the download from the GM heritage center? Lot of information there, just not the specifics you asked this morning.
http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-h...tion-kits.html
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
nobolt

that place is less than an hour from here....but i guess it is off limits to the general public!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobolt View Post
that place is less than an hour from here....but i guess it is off limits to the general public!
Actually I was refering to the model year data packs that are downloadable.

However it is not a difficult problem, just start a local 67-72 Chevy club and reserve the tour. $20 a head (30+) for a Saturday tour.

Group Tours

Group tours are available to groups, clubs, or staffs, and require a 30-person minimum. A fee of $10 per person is charged for tours scheduled during normal business hours Monday through Friday. A fee of $20 per person is charged for tours scheduled after hours or on Saturdays. Sunday and Holiday tours will be quoted by the GM Heritage Center event coordinator. Guests should allocate about 1.5 hours for their tour.

Cameras are welcome. Strollers are prohibited. Children must be accompanied and supervised by an adult. Guests are NOT permitted to touch the vehicles, enter vehicles or open doors or hoods.

Schedule an Event or Tour

For more information or to schedule a tour, please email the GM Heritage Center event coordinator at gmhc@gm.com or call 586-276-1498.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
rs74

So in a nutshell, other than trim levels all other options could be pretty much obtained on any of these trucks in any fashion. Would I be correct in saying that?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
SS Tim

"Most" would be a better choice than "all" but yes.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
EZ4U2C

Man you got to love those old avertisments. No ones talking on a cell phone!
God loved me so much he gave me John 3:16

Buy American and bring our jobs back home.

Trust what you believe in and believe in what you trust.

Don't blame the gun, Blame the person who made you use it!

1970 swb
2002 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
2004 Dodge 4x4
EZ4U2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
"Most" would be a better choice than "all" but yes.
Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #24
mydixiewrecked

Thanks for the "Welcome" guys! I just got the itch for one of these trucks after going to Barret Jackson last week and seeing the orange and white Cheyenne Super. Fell in love with it...only problem was it went for 50K LOL

Sounds like I will be looking for a 72 model, preferably a cheyenne, 2wd, swb, and a stick
mydixiewrecked is offline   Reply With Quote