The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
terd ferguson

Another what's it worth...

GMC V6 hood badges. And '64-'66 windshield stainless trim (goes in the windshield rubber). What's it worth? And how do I remove the windshield trim without damaging it? Thanks.

The back story is that I went to a new (to me) junkyard today and pulled a couple of V6 hood badges. I didn't have a lot of time so that's all I got today. I'm going back for the windshield trim and a good grill support and GMC grill next week. There's also a good GMC hood I'm thinking of grabbing, but hoods are hard to sell due to shipping costs. That's about all the good stuff they had between 7 trucks.

I love getting people stuff to get trucks back on the road.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"

Last edited by terd ferguson; 07-26-2009 at 12:25 AM.
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Another what's it worth...

I don't know about a 64 chev truck, but I bet this method is the same:
On 567 chev cars we pull the windshield, by razor blading the rubber so not to break the glass. then when the windshield is free, we pull the rubber out of the car with the stainless in it, and then remove the stainless. it is held in the chanel with a fishhook like grip , and is best removed by peeling the rubber off of it.

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 07-26-2009 at 07:45 AM.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

This will save the stainless. Remember where there's one accessory there should be more. Look in the glove compartment for a light.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
terd ferguson

Thanks for the tips. I wish there was a way to get the stainless out without removing the windshield. Is there?

And thanks for the tip about the other accessories aero. I'll check the glove box. Anything else I should look for that I don't know about?

Last edited by terd ferguson; 07-26-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Terd I am going to PM you about the hood..
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
Terd I am going to PM you about the hood..
Reply inbound.

Can anyone post a pic of the part of the stainless windshield trim where it goes into the rubber? I appreciate the help.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by terd ferguson View Post
Thanks for the tips. I wish there was a way to get the stainless out without removing the windshield. Is there?

And thanks for the tip about the other accessories aero. I'll check the glove box. Anything else I should look for that I don't know about?
just bring a good box cutter and a few extra blades.

here would be the deal..if the winshield is good, it would probably be worth more to the yard out anyway,it would save them the labor.

if it is junk, you could remove it like it says how to in the manual, by peeling the rubber from the inside while pushing on the glass...(this is a real easy way to ruin a good winshield, so don't try it with a good one).or you could just kick it out.

when you get it out just set it in the hole, so weather dosen't get in the cab.

there is no reason to try to save the rubber, the windshield and trim are worth way more than new rubber.

I think the only way this trim works is to install/uninstall in the rubber out of the truck.
if you try to pry it out , it will end up bent.

just let the yard know what you have to do, I doubt they will care about the rubber, and if they do don't let them charge you more than $15 for it(a little less than 1/2 of a new one)
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
just bring a good box cutter and a few extra blades.

here would be the deal..if the winshield is good, it would probably be worth more to the yard out anyway,it would save them the labor.

if it is junk, you could remove it like it says how to in the manual, by peeling the rubber from the inside while pushing on the glass...(this is a real easy way to ruin a good winshield, so don't try it with a good one).or you could just kick it out.

when you get it out just set it in the hole, so weather dosen't get in the cab.

there is no reason to try to save the rubber, the windshield and trim are worth way more than new rubber.

I think the only way this trim works is to install/uninstall in the rubber out of the truck.
if you try to pry it out , it will end up bent.

just let the yard know what you have to do, I doubt they will care about the rubber, and if they do don't let them charge you more than $15 for it(a little less than 1/2 of a new one)
Thanks. If I gotta take the windshield out to get the trim out clean, that's just what I'll have to do.

Does anyone have an idea of what I should ask for these?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
TopFuel1966

If your rubber is old and dry like mine the trim will come out fairly easy without removing the glass. I cut the rubber on both sides of the trim with a sharp box knife. After removing the rubber from the outside edge of the trim and sliding the connector clips to the side of the joints I was able to pry up VERY CAREFULLY on each of the four sections of the trim. They came out with absolutely no damage. Just take it nice and slow.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuel1966 View Post
If your rubber is old and dry like mine the trim will come out fairly easy without removing the glass. I cut the rubber on both sides of the trim with a sharp box knife. After removing the rubber from the outside edge of the trim and sliding the connector clips to the side of the joints I was able to pry up VERY CAREFULLY on each of the four sections of the trim. They came out with absolutely no damage. Just take it nice and slow.
Thanks for the tips. I'll try that first before removing the windshield. I just want to make sure to pry really carefully. The last thing I want to do is bend the trim up.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
terd ferguson

Can anybody suggest a fair price for me to ask for this stuff? I'm not looking to get rich, just a fair market value (and I'll probably ask a little less). Thanks again guys.

Last edited by terd ferguson; 07-27-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
terd ferguson

There is slight pitting inside the V, the rest should polish up nicely. Here's a pic of the badges if it helps...

Last edited by terd ferguson; 07-27-2009 at 09:54 PM.