The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
timh2703

Steering column confusion

My next step on my 56 chevy stepside is to purchase a steering column, and most of the steering column manufacturers suggest to install the seat first to get the correct measurement. I don't have a seat yet so is there anyone who has done this who has the correct length for a tilt column for a 56 chevy truck? I've contacted two different manufacturers and each one told me a different column length confusing me more. Also with the different brands on the market is there one better than another? Thanks for the help
timh2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Steering column confusion

You really should have the seat unless you are a smaller framed person. It is really easy to get it too close to the seat, especially if you get a relatively "plush" one. Keeping the gas tank behind the seat makes it an even tighter fit.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh2703 View Post
My next step on my 56 chevy stepside is to purchase a steering column, and most of the steering column manufacturers suggest to install the seat first to get the correct measurement. I don't have a seat yet so is there anyone who has done this who has the correct length for a tilt column for a 56 chevy truck? I've contacted two different manufacturers and each one told me a different column length confusing me more. Also with the different brands on the market is there one better than another? Thanks for the help
I don't have the measurement of these two columns, but i can get them for you if the pictures don't help... the first one we used the stock column drop and the 2nd one we used an after market drop... but you can see by the first about how far it stick out of the drop and then measure to the floor and let it stick through the floor as much as needed.. the part that stick through the floor depends on what is in the way, etc headers or anything else..
Attached Images

parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
parkwood

forgot to say but both of these are ididit column's... one with column shift and one without..
Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
mr48chev

Those are a couple of nice installations. I'd have to agree that a guy/gal really needs the seat that they are going to use in the truck to fit the column and wheel so that it is fully comfortable. I've driven way too many miles with things that just were not right and it turns what should be a relaxed and fun trip into work real quick some times.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
parkwood

I agree with Mr 48 if you want the perfect fit by all means get the seat you'll be using... we did have the seat frame with one of the trucks but one we didn't but we ended up putting the columns back pretty much in the stock loc. and both were tilt columns so that helped..
Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
timh2703

I can see the need to have the seat now and it makes total sense but for reference could I get the column lenghts that you have? Could you tell me what color orange the second truck is painted?
Thanks for the help
timh2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh2703 View Post
I can see the need to have the seat now and it makes total sense but for reference could I get the column lenghts that you have? Could you tell me what color orange the second truck is painted?
Thanks for the help
After looking around i'm not sure what the lenght of the columns are. the ididit book i have just give part numbers to retrofit columns.. the one for the '47-54 truck have about 5 different part numbers for paintable, chrome, power coat, polished alum... check them out at www.ididitinc.com

as for the color on the orange truck it's Prowler Orange by PPG, but it looks copper in the sun..