The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
botmfedr1

knock offs....anyone have any opinion on this??

Ok, so i bid and won on some molding parts. The seller sent me an email stating that they accidentally sent me the wrong part, and to return them and they would send the correct part...ok- no problem...

But then i got the parts... and i must say, although the packaging does state GM, and it's nearly torn apart, and aged....the parts are pristine!!

My concern....i got screwed. Has this happened to anyone? I mean, the parts are so damn clean, scratch free, and the smaller plastic envelops are partially deteriorated, but the part DOESN'T EVEN FIT IN THE ENVELOPE!!! it will fit in the larger, paper type packaging,,, but it don't make sense...i have seen original parts.. and this don't smell right.

Forget the political way to raise this concern...if i am wrong, and these parts happened to survive 40plus years in storage, (yet the packinging is nearly gone) then i guess i am wrong... but as the saying goes..."don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining!!"

Anyone care to offer some words on this before i start raising hell on ebay??

thanks,
Mondo

Name:  image-15.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  image-18.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  39.6 KB

Last edited by botmfedr1; 07-21-2011 at 04:06 PM.
botmfedr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
DANTIP

Re: knock offs....anyone have any opinion on this??

I can't speak for the parts you have but I have two thoughts. First, I own and have sold many NOS parts that have been in packages of varying condition. Many packages do deteriorate due to moisture, handling, etc. even though the parts inside still look perfect. My second thought is assuming the part numbers on the packages are correct, I would fear someone using NOS parts on a restoration then buying reproduction parts and putting them back into the GM packages and claiming they were NOS. I believe many board members ( I don't know enough to be very helpful on trim parts) can spot reproduction parts and would be able to back i up with facts. If that can be done, you MAY have some recourse through Ebay. Does it look like the parts would fit properly? Does the finish look correct?
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
botmfedr1

Oh I agree, there is NOS parts out there. But I truly can't believe that these molding wouldn't show any age whatsoever !

I am going to post pics of the sleeve packaging that the parts came in... The sleeve is 3" wide, and the parts are much to wide to fit in... I'm sure there are honest NOS dealers out there, but I just received a response that a true NOS dealer would never have to worry about- if! If they were genuine parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

There is also the "GM" authorized repo part.It usually comes in a GM wrapper and is aftermarket but sold to GM as "Genuine GM Replacement part".
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I am one person among many who just don't like buying what I can't see, at least through eBay. I like to think that the folks on this site are trustworthy, and I have done business with some of them, when I have the money to buy what I'm looking for. I have also sold some of my stuff and hope that those who bought them are as satisfied.

Your deal sounds like Bait and Switch, to me. Not Kosher, at all.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
botmfedr1

this item was not listed as a Genuine GM Replacement part...it was listed as an NOS GM part....furthermore, the seller even sent old packaging. I am not a smart man, Jenny...but i know when i see knock off... I guess you would have to see the items, because photos don't do this thing justice.

Note:

* If you look at the photos... you will see how the molding didn't even fit in the package to begin with.
* The finish is the wrong color for this type of molding.
* There is a 1 inch square, that appears to have some grinding done...
Name:  image-27.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  image-21.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  measurement120.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  image-23.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  27.8 KB
Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
botmfedr1

ChevLoRay,

I think so too. I wrote the seller and told him i though his item was fraudulent, and not to worry about sending me the "correct" part, and to refund my money...

He wrote back saying, "what makes you think that ill refund and send the right piece"

i am not very happy right now, to say the least. i have seen "NOS" pieces being sold on ebay, and the seller states, " the box is not included"....why wouldn't they sell the box? so another dumbass, like myself can come along....?

Last edited by botmfedr1; 07-22-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: for clarification..
Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
dukcaln

my thought, if you didn't spend an arm and leg, chalk it up as lesson learned. but get the last laugh. if you used a visa or something or a check card call your bank and tell them you got scammed... they will get your money back
Old 07-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by botmfedr1 View Post
i am not very happy right now, to say the least. i have seen "NOS" pieces being sold on ebay, and the seller states, " the box is not included"....why wouldn't they sell the box? so another dumbass, like myself can come along....?
Not sure on this deal but it does look a little fishy.........

I can tell you on the "box not included" what is normally the issue is that the item comes in quantities.....like dome light lenses...they come 5 to a pack...so you can sell 4 and keep the one in the pack for yourself to recoup the insane expense of an NOS dome light lense

There are several parts out there like that and I've bought and sold parts on a trust system with people I feel I can trust....but honestly wouldn't do that with a guy on ebay unless the part was won for less than the reproduction price....
Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
IndyRich

I agree with the fishyness....also this being a 1967 tail light trim piece...i believe they would have come with the bluish protective film on it. I know the 69-72 NOS are just in a normal clear on one side, GM on the other sidetype packaging, but I think the 67 had the bluish film on it. certainly not a clear plastic bag like that.
IndyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
botmfedr1

All very good points. I thank you guys for your insight and your experience. I just got another email from him...this time his explanation is a bit longer....

"Dear botmfedr1,

i sent a mess saying i meant what makes you think that the piece wasnt nos
and ill refund you and send the right piece you took it the wrong way it
was a mistake on us and we will take care of the problem"

i responded, by asking why this wasn't explained in the first place? I am not upset about him sending me the wrong part, shoo...i got months before i actually get to install the trim on my truck...My whole argument is that i know aftermarket when i see it.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
Shane
Account Suspended

how can you look at it and tell it's aftermarket?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
ChevLoRay,

I think so too. I wrote the seller and told him i though his item was fraudulent, and not to worry about sending me the "correct" part, and to refund my money...

He wrote back saying, "what makes you think that ill refund and send the right piece"

There is a cottage industry on e-bay designed to defraud and PayPal actually helps them in that process. I just settled a $1600.00 claim on a seller which took 6 months. The ONLY thing that allowed me to recover funds was the credit card I used to set up my paypal account. Visa automatically takes the sellers side in a dispute but American Express supports the buyer. I filed through paypal and got the normal run around with "Do Not Reply" e-mails until I called Amex. They credited the charge back immediately and went after the seller's Bank to recover the money. It took an additional three months but they got back the original price and all of the shipping charges. The only cost to me was shipping the stuff back to the seller "signature required" with a copy of the tracking number to American Express.
Now I will not do business with anyone who insists on paypal and I will never purchase via e-bay again. Buyer Beware!

I am also very, very suspicious when someone asks for pictures of rare, NOS parts.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

People asking for pix of rare, NOS parts? I am pretty naive, I guess. But, I can see where those unscrupulous people would use that picture, like a pervert would try to convince some teenage girl that he's their age and/or same sex...by using a picture that he deemed "age appropriate".

But, I have a few NOS parts for our trucks, that I bought from a guy who worked with me. He had bought them from our local Chevy dealer when he was redoing his '70 Short stepside. Am I gonna sell 'em? Probably. Only thing is that the packaging for some of them is kinda weak, and the tape had already been cut on the boxes. I am kinda anal about stuff like that, but trust between the seller and me was for real. In my opinion, it's all about trust.

On here, Wes is who I have dealt with for a few parts and he's trustworthy in my book. I'm sure the other vendors are, too. Site membership has its' priviledge.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
RagingAsian

what was the name of the seller that you were dealing with? ( I just got the same parts in the similar fashion..)
Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
RagingAsian

I am very disappointed. because now I feel like that I have been de fruaded because I have a similar item from the same seller. damn it.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #17
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Ok, so i bid and won on some molding parts. The seller sent me an email stating that they accidentally sent me the wrong part, and to return them and they would send the correct part...ok- no problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingAsian View Post
what was the name of the seller that you were dealing with? ( I just got the same parts in the similar fashion..)
By chance, does the ebay seller in question here go by id: washprotim??? Mel
Classic Bowties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #18
botmfedr1

classic bowties,

pm sent.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #19
botmfedr1

I won't say everything NOS is a knock off, by no means. I bought some taillight lenses, still in the box, proper part number and fit perfectly. But they were a little dusty, and the labels were cracked, peeling and very brittle. IMO, i believe there are real good honest dealers out there, and on here... but not all of em.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #20
botmfedr1

Question:

Does anyone have any idea when Chevy went to digital fonts on their labels??? Most of the NOS stuff i have seen has the smooth font style on all the labels. I am not an authority on fonts, but as far as i can remember, i thought the digital fonts started appearing late '80's????

Just a thought....alot of NOS labels on ebay come with digital labels...
Old 09-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
botmfedr1

Sorry to beat a dead horse guys....but i just noticed some more NOS parts on sale here. And what gets me is that the labels are digitized for One.

2. when did GM stop making these parts? Surely not April of 2000!
or maybe i am an idiot and should simply go to my nearest dealership and get some NOS parts. Funny, cus I have a '97 Camaro that i am finding very hard to get original stuff for.

3. the boxes are aged....and the labels look aged, But clearly say 'www.gm.com".

Im sorry, and i have to apologize to you guys, but i think i may have to take my hobby elsewhere. F**k, isnt anything sacred anymore!

tschuss...
Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #22
MUDSLT

can you pm me of the sellers info so I know not to buy from them..Because I do a lot of biz on ebay..Thanks
MUDSLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #23
71 super

If it is the one Mel mentioned, I too have had trouble with him, parts were gm but the packing and shipping was absolutely garbage- NOS upper side trim folded in two because he was too cheap to ship in pvc and on top sent USPS parcel post. they were folded to fit in a delivery truck
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote