The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2023, 03:18 PM   #1
vardenafil

is this a points system Distibutor or regular one?

sorry for the dumb question is this a points style distributor or the old school style. im going to rent a timing gun from a local auto store but id like to watch some videos on how to adjust the timing first. im not to sure which style i have.

Name:  fff.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  65.5 KB
vardenafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:23 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: is this a points system Distibutor or regular one?

That's actually an HEI distributor. No points inside.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:28 PM   #3
54blackhornet

Points are old style, HEI came later in 1975. It looks like an original Delco GM version. They are difficult to find now. Use a dial back timing light if possible.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:25 PM   #4
68Gold/white

Thats as good as you can do for a distributor. There are small tuning things that can be done to improve it. If it runs, you are likely OK.

The distributor hold down bolt takes a 9/16 wrench. To advance the timing pull on the vacuum advance in the direction of the vacuum hose that is connected to it. to retard, obviously do opposite.

THe power wire that connects to the distributor (says dist on cap where wire connects) needs to be 12 volts. The points dist used resistor wire to the dist.

If its runnung now with less than 12 volts don't worry, just put on your to-do list soon...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 05:48 PM   #5
PbFut

Adjusting the timing is stupid easy. Getting the right setting is the trick. The timing light (gun) has a 2 clips for power. 12v+ and 12- that you clip to the battery. The trigger is a 3 wire with a clip that goes around the #1 pug wire. You can place the trigger anywhere on that #1 Plug wire but best if away from other wires or the coil. Clean off the timing indicator plate so you can see the marks. There will be a groove or timing mark on the crank pulley. Clean so you can see it well enough that when the strobe effect of the timing light flashes, you will see the marks. Even though the crank is turning, the strobe effect of the gun will make the mark appear stationary. There is a 9/16 bolt head holding a collar around the distributor shaft where is passes into the top of the intake manifold. Loosen the bolt just enough so you can rotate the distributor. You can look for video but honestly it's that simple. Setting the amount of advance you want is a whole different story and you will want to study up on the technique you want to use. I personally like the vacuum gauge, and feel method the best. There was a writeup recently on this form on a method to use. Many said it worked great for them. I found the truck stubbled off the line for me. Did my own method and the truck is back to running perfect. Tuning is like playing music with your motor. The sound and feel will tell you what's right.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 07:44 PM   #6
vardenafil

Thanks for all the replies guys. So far hen doing the timing I should go by feel and not 12 or 14 otd? Right now the truck idle real nice but kinda high. When I give it throttle it seems to lack power and rattle real bad. I was thinking of checking the timing just to rule that out
vardenafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:36 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Until we hear the rattling, we can't say much about the timing...or whatever else it may be.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:40 PM   #8
PbFut

Advace the timing till it starts to sing proper. Drive. Make sure you have good premium fuel. If you get destination retard some. Use a vac guage to help set air fuel. It's not perfect. My favorite tool is a wide band a/f guage. It gets you dialed in fast and makes seting the jetting up in a carb very simple. You can see exactly what your adjustments do to the efficentcy of the combustion. Worth every penny to buy a good one and the effort to install. Best addon I did for the truck.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote