The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
Porkchop

steering column

I just got a steering column that I ordered from a junkyard a few weeks ago. It's a three speed. The thing is that they removed the steering shaft that's attatched to the rag joint and the steering wheel and sent me the rest. This does me no good because it doesn't fix the problem I have with my old column. The problem with mine is with the pieces that are located on the shaft. It's obvious that they just removed the wheel and slid off the rest of the column while leaving the rag joint and shaft still attatched.

So, what is the definition of a steering column? I thought it included everything from the wheel to the rag joint (although I did tell them they could keep the wheel so I could save on shipping). I don't know if this is my fault or theirs.
thanks
brad
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

My definition would be for the column to have the shaft in it but not have the shaft extension attached.

Do you need the shaft or the shaft extension?

If you need a shaft, I have one that you can have if you are in the area, (Muskegon).

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
71swb4x4

That doesn't sound like a column to me. I would expect the steering shaft. It's like purchasing an engine, with no crankshaft.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

The last column I bought at a jy didn't have the shaft.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
pjmoreland

That's bogus in my opinion. The shaft should be included.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4
That doesn't sound like a column to me. I would expect the steering shaft. It's like purchasing an engine, with no crankshaft.
I agree with this one...like getting an engine with no crank shaft.
I'd call and raise hell, what did they charge you for this half a column?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:54 PM   #7
Porkchop

Well, to be honest, the column is for my ford not my chevy- but thanks anyway for offering me the shaft Jim.

I paid $125 for it, but it needs to be cleaned up and painted. I emailed them today stating that I thought the shaft should be included, so I'll have to see what they say.
thanks for the responses
Old 07-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

What year ford?
IMO, for 125 bucks...assuming it is a non tilt, that sucker should be pretty much perfect. AND COMPLETE. A non tilt column ain't worth much more than 50 bucks.
Onless you are dealing with a later column like locking with ignition switch and all that jazz.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
junkyardjohn

THAT SHAFT IS CALLED THE SECTOR SHAFT, & NO IN 95% OF THE COLLUMNS I'VE BOUGHT (& i've bought several dozen) THE SECTOR SHAFT IS NOT INCLUDED, & THEY CHARGE EXTRA IF YOU WANT IT. IT'S KINDA LIKE BUYING A FENDER & CRYING CAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE TRIM. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
Porkchop

It's for a 69 f100 and has no tilt or switches. I am not sure what year column I got because there are a few differences near the base of the column. Either that or there are pieces missing. So even if I wanted to use my old shaft I couldn't.

John, are you talking about the shaft that is attatched to the steering wheel? It just seems to me that every time someone shows columns for sale or pictures of columns that they have purchased, they include the shaft.

I really don't think it's that absurd to expect that the shaft be included. I mean, what kind of market is there for columns without the shaft? Especially in certain cases where people are swapping to a tilt (you can't use a non tilt shaft). I can't think of a situation involving this type of basic no frills steering column where anyone would need to buy the column minus the shaft; what else is there to break other than the shaft or the pieces that relate the shaft to the rest of the column?
thanks for the responses
Old 07-29-2005, 08:43 PM   #11
junkyardjohn

The Sector Shafts Are The Same For Tilt & Non Tilt Alike. All The Ones Are The Same From 69 To 72 (67 & 68 Had One Piece Shafts I Believe) So Most People Don't Need Em. They Are Around $18 At Most Of The Yards Around Here. John
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #12
Longhorn Man

John, are you thinking about the same shaft as he is? He is talking about the one the steering wheel bolts to....not the same in tilt and non tilt...becouse you can't tilt a solid bar.