The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
jrdz2120

Need carb help!!!

I drove my truck to work today and it started to stall at every stop light. On the way home it died in traffic and had to push off the freeway. I took the air cleaner off and looked down inside and fuel was pouring out off the front passenger side jet. I could get it started and drove it home riding on the trottle to keep it on. Once home both front jets where dumping fuel when off.It has a Holley four barrel single fuel feed carb 80457-s that is about six months old. Any suggestions on what broke and should I replace it or fix it.
Thanks.
jrdz2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Need carb help!!!

I'm not famiar with Holleys but there should be a float and needle valve to maintain fuel level and prevent overfilling. It could be that the float or needle valve is not working properly. Maybe a piece of debris got lodged in there.

Maybe some Holley owners can give some advice.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

you have some trash under your needle valve, letting all that fuel flow through.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
smoked68

Stuck Float. Been there done that, that is a Holley signature. Sometimes tapping on the boul with a heavy rubber mallet or in my case a large screwdriver will unstick said stuck float...huh?? Get used to it, it WILL happen again. First time it happened whilst my son was driving the truck, he called me, I told him the remedy and I listened to what sounded over the phone like Yosimety Sam was on the other end, anyway I heard the tap tap tap then he said ok what now. Crank it and have fun, yeah right, it cranked and off he went a happier fella. Good luck, Holleys are a pain when they are messin with you.
4 bolt 383 Stroker,Weiand Super Charger, disc brakes, 9 inch, 391 gear, 20" Eagle wheels, muncie 4 speed/ Hurst shifter, 4/7 drop, Hedman midlengths, 3 inch exhaust w/ 2 chamber flows. 1966 Mustang with 306 roller, c-4, 9 inch Detroit locker rear. 1965 Fastback Mustang w/347 stroker, top loader 4spd, 9 inch detroit locker. 1966 Mustang coup, 306 roller, c4, 9 inch. 65 Cobra, 427, T6oo, 9inch, of course. First gen Hayabusa, airbox mod and running 2 exhaust cams.. Zoom Zoom Zoom
smoked68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Stock72c10
classic=of recognized value

Don't forget to keep said rubber mallet in your glove box for future use.
Stock72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
jrdz2120

Thanks i'll give it a try.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
68Stepbed

Mkae sure you have a good, clean fuel filter also. In the future, look into a dual feed conversion kit with the center hung floats. You can install screens over the fuel inlets to keep said debris out of your needle and seats. These screens are NOT replacements for a fuel filter though.

If tapping the bowl doesn't free up the floats, you'll need to take the needles out and clean them. It's not hard to do. You need to buy a book on how to work on Holleys if you're unsure on what to do.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
jrdz2120

Thanks for the info, I have the old edelbrock I took off to use for now while I mess with the Holley. It is a 750 that is why I put the Holley 600 on.Thanks.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

Classic, had it happen to my 670 Avenger less than a year ago, called Holley, they said "yes, that happens"...they told me I could ship it off to them and they'd rebuild/fix because it was a known issue on the avengers (all holleys really), but I think I'm going to attempt my first complete carb rebuild instead. My new holley has been a year without trouble (knockin' on wood).

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

Clean those bowl areas REALLY well before you put it together...some of them are cast funny and material flakes off.

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
Psycho71

If the material flakes off, call Holley right away. I got one of the Street Avengers that came in a bad lot. The primary metering block flaked of big time. Sent them pics of the problem, and pics of the numbers on the carb. In three days there was a brand new carb sitting on the porch, no charge. And they never even sent me the info to send the old one back. So a new billet metering block later, and I'll have a spare carb too.

Mine evidently flaked in one of the passages on the metering block and leaned one side of my motor out. Luckily I have a dual bank A/F ratio gauge and it told me there was a problem before I ran it lean too long.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 12-31-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
Wrenchbender Ret

If it is dirt in the needle & seat, here is an easy fix that usually works. Clamp off the rubber fuel hose with a vise grip or C clamp. Start the engine & run it till it runs out of gas. Remove the clamp & restart the engine. The rush of gas will wash the foriegn material through & solve the problem. If it doesnt work the first time try again. If it still doesnt you need to go into the carb. Most holleys you can remove the needle valves without pulling the carb. If people have that much trouble with Holleys I'm glad I run Roch. Q-Jets.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
suville

Q-jets when set up correctly is the best deal goin for a N/A street engine the biggest majority are 750 but again if set up correctly will rival ANY Holley for performance and mileage. If you doubt this just look at the record holding super stock drag racers they are limited to stock equipment! But the key is the person of facility doing the set up. I'd recommend giving Shawn Murphy at SMI a call, http://www.smicarburetor.com/products/?sfID1=28&sfID2=9 , hope this works for ya!
suville is offline   Reply With Quote