The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
doubleb's69

Brake light issues, Need help.

To start off I am not any good at anything to do with wires or electronics but I try to learn. I noticed the other night that my brake lights are not working. I have tail light and turn signals but no brake lights. I eliminated the tail lights because I know that they run on a different circut. So now I am confused as to why I would have turn signals at the rear but no brake lights since they use the filament.

I used a test light to check the pressure switch and the pedal switch and each had power. The pedal switch had power in and out when depressed.

I turned on the four-way flashers and only the front worked. Eventually I wiggled some wires around under the dash and got everything to work including brake lights and then it quit again.

So does anyone have any suggestions for me. There are a couple of shows coming up that I would like to attend with my truck so brake lights a really important to be on the road.

Thank you in advance,
Bud.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Brake light issues, Need help.

Pretty simple. Orange wire to the switch is power from the fuse block. White wire from the switch goes to the turn signal switch up the column harness, then is distributed down both the green and yellow wires which go the the right and left turn signal bulbs respectively. Start testing following the path thru connectors and such. Test the wires at the firewall harness that feeds the rear also
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
BMERDOC

Check the connector at the firewall. Its located next to the gas pedal. Make sure its not corroded or loose. Because your wiggle test worked you have zoned in on the problem and probably need to look no further. Usually these problems are associated with grounding problems, smashed wires or multiple trailer harnesses installed over the years but those are normally at the back of the bed.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
76k10

My passenger brake light does not work. Turn signal does though. Where would y'all recommend checking first?
76k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76k10 View Post
My passenger brake light does not work. Turn signal does though. Where would y'all recommend checking first?
Is this a trick question?

If the driver's side works, look at (test) the bulb on the driver's side. Then, if the bulb works in the driver's side, and you have two people (including yourself),
test the passenger's side socket with one of these new-fangled thingies:

Wait a minute...You stole doubleb's thread....Never mind....
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76k10 View Post
Its considered rude to hijack someone elses thread, I'm not balling you out I'm just letting you know because I'm sure you didnt know that, but now you do and you can avoid it in the future.
Keep on truckin!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
76k10

I didn't think I hijacked anything. My question relates to the OP and the no one has posted on this thread in a while. I was just trying to recycle a thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
76k10 is offline   Reply With Quote