The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

Door Speakers

I was wondering if anyone has speakers mounted in the doors. I've been wondering if when it rains, does water seep down in there and get them wet? My objective is to fill the door holes and go with kick panels, but I haven't seen any kicks I like and don't want to fiberglass them myself. Any help or comments appreciated.
Pl4yboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
sb69chevy

Re: Door Speakers

I have infinity 6x9s in my doors. I've had them for a year or so. Haven't had any problems, yet, and I don't have any stripping across the window bottom on ds. I'm sure they must get a little wet.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

The PO of my truck installed them into my door. I replaced the ones he had in there with some Kickers 16 months ago and when I pulled them out last month they didnt look like they had gotten wet. The Paper sticker was still on the magnets. I'm also going to move them later and weld up the holes in the doors

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

Well there's about to be a legal issue between me and my body man. Two years and less than half the work done. It's not going to be pretty. Anyways, Since it will be going to a new shop soon, I was thinking of having them leave them if they weren't going to ruin. I'm still scared though. I have an 800$ set of Rainbow 6.5 Comps to put in and I don't want to ruin them.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
vfrdude

You can get some foam enclosures like these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OciVDcq...sp?g=762&avf=Y

They should protect you speakers.....

'95 Honda VFR750F

Used to have a '71 Chevy Stepside, Guards Red, Lowered 4" rear, 3" front, White Oak bed wood, 700R4 w/373 gears until some low life stole it!
vfrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

Those defeat the purpose of my 800$ speakers. I'm an audiophile. Music has to sound perfect to me and those are nowhere near the volume I need to get the clearest sound. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
mnunn454

I'm redoing my interior now. While I prefer high quality sound, It's not a top priority for me so after considering various speakers in the kick panels, what they'd interfere with and how they'd look, I decided to install 6X9's in the door.

Holes are now marked. Cutting begins Saturday. Assuming I can keep it from rattling, I may install a plastic shield over them (like an inside awning) so they don't get wet. My preference was the kicks but it just won't look or work the best with my foot style parking brake arrangement.

I did put new window scraper/rubbers in. That should minimize the amount coming in. Also, make sure the door drains are open and clear. My doors each had a pound or so of fallen undercoating in them.

Good luck on your build.
29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe

Last edited by mnunn454; 02-27-2007 at 08:21 PM.
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnunn454 View Post
I'm redoing my interior now. While I prefer high quality sound, It's not a top priority for me so after considering various speakers in the kick panels, what they'd interfere with and how they'd look, I decided to install 6X9's in the door.

Holes are now marked. Cutting begins Saturday. Assuming I can keep it from rattling, I may install a plastic shield over them (like an inside awning) so they don't get wet. My preference was the kicks but it just won't look or work the best with my foot style parking brake arrangement.

I did put new window scraper/rubbers in. That should minimize the amount coming in. Also, make sure the door drains are open and clear. My doors each had a pound or so of fallen undercoating in them.

Good luck on your build.

I've been thinking of filling the area I need surrounding the speakers on the inside of the door with the expandable foam stuff.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
nvrforgotten52

my buddy used two plastic tupperware looking things he got online for speakers. and they go inside the door behind the speaker to waterproof it. similar to those foam things. but those foam things look ok too.. they might give you a liitle more air space but with 6.5s how much airspace would you need?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

Not too much, but those look tiny to me...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:29 PM   #11
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

they have plastic inserts that go in and the top half keeps water from dripping down on them and the bottom half is open to allow for free air speakers.

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #12
ClassicRedneck05

I have Fusion Power Plant 6x9s in my doors but my doors have holes and im not the person to fix them im hoping to find a memebr aroeund my area who could give me a hand but i also have a set of Kick panels that are fiberglass covered with black cloth im not using never found a use after i made them

1972 Chevrolet K-20 LWB 502 LiFtEd
ClassicRedneck05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:00 AM   #13
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameeks View Post
they have plastic inserts that go in and the top half keeps water from dripping down on them and the bottom half is open to allow for free air speakers.

Thats what i have in my truck from the previous owner
Attached Images

1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...

Last edited by kelsfine69; 02-28-2007 at 12:08 AM.
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 AM   #14
muddpile

Use those foam/plastic covers. I did in my vette (with a high dollar component set as well). What I did for airspace, was cut the back and part of the bottom off them, just so they are like a roof over it. Unless rain defy's gravity, they'll stay dry.
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:19 AM   #15
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpile View Post
Use those foam/plastic covers. I did in my vette (with a high dollar component set as well). What I did for airspace, was cut the back and part of the bottom off them, just so they are like a roof over it. Unless rain defy's gravity, they'll stay dry.
Thats a good idea... Might use it.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:21 AM   #16
ClassicRedneck05

these are the kick panels i have they are fiberglassed and then i covered them with black cloth they are made for 6.5" speakers and so far im not using them
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 AM   #17
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

Redneck, how do they fit and how do they mount?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:42 AM   #18
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pl4yboy View Post
Those defeat the purpose of my 800$ speakers. I'm an audiophile. Music has to sound perfect to me and those are nowhere near the volume I need to get the clearest sound. Thanks for the idea though.
Most component speakers are designed to work without an airspace requirement. Either way, mounting them to a 20 gauge tin can will not give you the clearest sound.

I am building a buildout in my door panel for optimum sound quality.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:47 AM   #19
ClassicRedneck05

Quote:
Redneck, how do they fit and how do they mount?
on driver side mounts in regular location use self tapping screws hold it in place drill throuh it then into the cab section thats the mounting then mke sure u have ur speaker wre ran into ti already before doing that then place your 6.5 speakers in and screw them down real simple did this answer the question?

Old 02-28-2007, 01:49 AM   #20
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

jimmy, thats why I was planning on kicks in the first place. I've been into car audio pretty heavily for the past 3-4 years and I realize that it wouldn't sound good in the doors without some sort of enclosure built into the door. Plus, with a kick enclosure, I can angle the mid and tweeter more toward the body than toward each other...
Old 02-28-2007, 01:50 AM   #21
Pl4yboy
Freeeeee Mason...

Sorry for the double post, but yes that answers it. I may try to build mine like that.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:52 AM   #22
ClassicRedneck05

i may be selling them shown in the pics above

Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 AM   #23
Warren

Is there no better way or place to put speakers than in the bottom of a door firing into your feet. After doing live sound and recording studios and friends that build some pretty high end home speakers seems odd to me but I am not up on car Audio.

A friend told me his friend was building speakers with Dyn Audio components and he cant get the drivers for a while as Audi bought the rights for their cars. If that is the case and the Dyn Audio stuff is as good as he says are they mounting speakers in the bottom of the doors in the Audis?. These trucks are so large inside, is there no better placement for these?

Warren
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #24
jimmydean

Quote:
jimmy, thats why I was planning on kicks in the first place. I've been into car audio pretty heavily for the past 3-4 years and I realize that it wouldn't sound good in the doors without some sort of enclosure built into the door. Plus, with a kick enclosure, I can angle the mid and tweeter more toward the body than toward each other...
You don't need an enclosure, that's what I'm saying. The problem with mounting speakers in the doors is the doors themselves. As long as you aren't mounting the speaker to the door, you are fine.

For 90% of the people out there, slapping a speaker in the door will sound good enough for them. But if you are spending more than $200 on a pair of speakers, then mounting them to 20 gauge steel is money wasted.

Line the inside of the outer door skin with about a cubic foot of sound deadener behind the speaker location. Then build a mount for the speaker out of 1/2" or thicker medite. At the very least, make a ring to mount the speaker to so the motion of the speaker is absorbed. Otherwise, the door will vibrate and ruin the sound of the speaker.

You want to avoid mounting the speaker strait to the sheet metal. I am building custom door door panels that have support for speakers. The bottom of the door is a great location, but mounting a $400 speaker to a 37 year old piece of steel is a bad idea. You will have enough problems with rattles as it is.

Just my $.02
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #25
ClassicRedneck05

when i got my truck the holes were already in the door i put dynomat inside of the door where the speaker would be and just mounted mine in there never had any probs verry little rattle and i know why haha but i only use Fusion components but mine is directly mounted to the door with no probs i understand its prob not the best idea but it works for me some of you may wany to go the toher way around