The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
GREASEMONKEY72

i need some answers asap PLEASE

where should i run the wires for the tach to on the fuse panel? (autometer tach) it was working right but now its not so i need to know where it should go

my speedo wont go over 85 and is also about 5mph off at lower speeds according to my brothers 05 f250, but i pulled it all out tonight and it looks like the cable turns a magnet and it turns something else which in turn makes the needle move, but i couldnt get the needle to come off to pull it apart further and i would like to know if i should even worry about the speedo or if i should be looking at the trans where the cable goes in

and also would the tires affect the speed reading?, according to the side wall they are 31s even though they are actually like 29in tall i think

any and all help and insight is greatly appreciated

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
cableguy0

Re: i need some answers asap PLEASE

tires will definately affect the speed reading on the speedo. a couple inches too tall will make you 5 mph off.need more info on the tach. should be 4 wires one ground one to the distributor and one for the light in the tach to turn on with dash light and one for power to the tach. distributor should be green/power red/lights white/ground black. the power wire needs to go to a keyed ignition source meaning that the terminal only has power when the key is turned on. check your ground before you do anything else. also make sure that the green wire is still connected to the distributor
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
GREASEMONKEY72

im a retard in more ways than one..haha...i shouldve known about the tires(brain fart) but anyway yea the 4 wires you named are correct ofcourse and the rpm reads fine but the other night the light wasnt coming on and when i stepped on the brake the needle went crazy then my brother put it into the ac fuse (i dont have ac) for a temp fix and it worked fine but tonight it doesnt, but then i havnt checked the ground, i didnt put the tach in the PO did and now im confused, but i do intend on getting a secondary fuse panel just for the tach

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 02-28-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
cableguy0

no need for a secondary fuse panel.there are enough places to simply add a tach there a few spade terminals on the fuse block you just need to find one that doesnt have power with the key but has power with the key on.im going to bet you have a bad ground. grounds are the most overlooked thing in every electrical system in a vehicle.your only issue the actual tach light? for all it matter you can run the tach light to wherever your tach is getting power and have it lit all the time. it wont hurt anything i ran mine that way for years.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
GREASEMONKEY72

i forgot about checking the ground and i dont know why its usually the first thing i check, but ill check it and see what happens

any info on the rest of my issue with the speedometer???

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 02-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Chevy_Man
Tightwad

I found that a gps works pretty good when wanting to check your speed, just check the gps in something that you know the speed is right and then jump in the old truck...

Eric
72 Chevy LWB
84 CJ 7
05 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab
30X40 DOGHOUSE(shop) with many add ons
Chevy_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
GREASEMONKEY72

i dont have a gps

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 03-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
GREASEMONKEY72

well i fixed my tach and it was the ground, thanks for the help guys, but im still wondering about the speedometer

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 03-01-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
cableguy0

its possible your cable is binding up. is the speedo bouncy at lower speeds? or does it just stop at 85 and thats the only issue?