The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
1956cameo

? about coil drop springs

I was looking thru my parts catalog and saw that they sell 3" drop front coil springs and 5" drop rear coil springs. The coil springs are much cheaper than the 2.5" drop front spindles. However when I look at threads where people have dropped their trucks they always use drop spindles. I was wondering why? Would I run into problems if I used a 3/5 drop on my rig by just using lowered coil springs? Also I want to go as low as I can without having to notch or bag the frame. Is 3/5 too far to go without problems? I have heard some people say it is; and others say it is fine. Whats your take?

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Dynomutt

Re: ? about coil drop springs

You can run that setup, it will just about (if not) put you on the bumpstops on all four corners. All coil just limits your suspension travel and makes for a REAL rough ride. Just my opinion of course.

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446194
Dynomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Other considerations are 3" front lowering coils will rattle around in the spring pockets when going up curbs are running over pot holes in the road. Also lowering springs mess with the alignment where drop spindles usualy do not. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
mrhino
Account Suspended

it's a easy way to lower your truck and have disc brakes if your truck does not have them. 2 birds, one stone
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Shon

I really like my 3/4 drop springs from CPP!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Shane
Account Suspended

most folks do not go beyond 2" - 2 1/2" of drop in springs due to camber issues.

you can go lower than that by combining the 2 1/2" of drop in the spindle (which does not change camber geometry) with a mild spring and still get 4"-5" of drop in the front.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
breezy

I'm new here but have sold parts my whole life. I done a little research and lowered the back of my truck 4 inches with some junk yard springs. I bet you are wondering what they are from. Well here it is. Rear springs from a ford tarus or mercury sable station wagon. Somewhere around a 96 model will work. Can't remember the exact years that are the same, but you can find out at a good yard with a Hollander lookup. Must be from wagon. They are cargo springs in the wagons. To bolt them in you can use your oem hold downs or get some smaller ones from the unibody mount bolts on a pontiac transport. They fit very well in the new springs. If you have ever priced springs for a old ford wagon you can almost get them for FREE. Nobody wants these things. Then I got some front spindles from belltech. 3" front. Truck sits real well for me and handles and drives great. Total cost with an alignment was 400 or so. You will need to center your rearend after lowering. I did this with an adjustable pan hard bar made from stock car parts. If you have a local speed shop you can usually get 2 eyelets and the piece the screw into for 30 bucks or so.You will need some spacers to center eyelets on the mounting bolts. I used some machine washers they are not as big around on the OD. Hope this helps you out. Look in welcome area for a pic of my truck. Good luck
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
1956cameo

Thanks for all of the comments everyone. I know absolutely nothing about customizing suspension so everyones input is greatly appreciated.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote