The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
69 gmc

Paint spray guns?

I was hoping to get some opinions on paint gun brands, which one works best for the best price. *Notes* I am looking for a durable, affordable, quality gun that wont break the bank. I'm having a shop do the exterior paint job and I want to have a nice gun for painting odd parts, i.e. radiator support, and just about everything under the truck.

Any comments are appreciated.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Jurassic-1

Re: Paint spray guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 gmc View Post
I was hoping to get some opinions on paint gun brands, which one works best for the best price. *Notes* I am looking for a durable, affordable, quality gun that wont break the bank. I'm having a shop do the exterior paint job and I want to have a nice gun for painting odd parts, i.e. radiator support, and just about everything under the truck.

Any comments are appreciated.
Harbor freight has a purple gravity feed gun. it is a Sata NR3000 copy. it sells for around $16.00 and $26.00 with the regulator and guage. it has a plastic cup and brush to clean it also a wrench. I teach Autobody in a high school and some of my students have these guns. If you take care of it it works well. Chech magazines like Hot Rod they run harbor freight ads. I have seen these guns for less than $10.00 on sale.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Tinkermc

can't get much cheaper than that, I use a Sata for everything. Mine just cost one heck of a lot more.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
74baggedbug

If I'm doing small stuff I use my cheap harbor freight special .. But on my overall paintjobs or stuff that has a lot of metallics I use my SATA...
Posted via Mobile Device
74baggedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
AirSpeed

I build custom loudspeakers and started with the Harbor freight HPLV guns to paint them, they worked pretty good for a while, I would always end up having to do a lot of color sanding after though. I decided to try one a bit better and bought a Sharpe Finex, around $110, what a difference! It sprayed so much better and was a lot easier to adjust. The finish would barely need any sanding. I bought a smaller Finex as well for tight areas and used both to paint my truck. I now use the harbor freight gun exclusively for primer. Sharpe has excellent customer service as well, they helped me out a lot when I first bought the gun. I use a regulator at the gun, make sure you get a real regulator, not one of those with only a valve, a regulator keeps the pressure constant no matter what pressure you have in you compressor. I bought my compressor from harbor frieght, it's a two cylinder with only a 30 gallon tank, it kept up fine painting my truck but next time I will probably buy one with a bigger tank. It puts out a lot of air, I believe 12 cfm at 30lbs. The most important thing about a compressor is the CFM not pressure. I only mention that because I have heard a lot of people emphasize high pressure and never even check the air flow capabilities.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Fldawg

It's been awhile since i fooled around with paint but Binks gun were the ticket back then
don't know if they still make them
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Big D

I have upgraded to a Sata HLVP gun , But before that I used a hundred dollar Devilbliss that served me well for 3 or 4 years.

I have used the el-cheapo Harbor Freight guns before they were always troublesome. It would always get about 3/4 thru the job and start sputtering . I still use cheap guns for primering and such. Nice thing about the name brand guns is that they can be rebuilt fairly cheap, The others are pretty much throwaways.

64 1/2 Mustang convert

A bachelor's life is no life for a single man."
- Samuel Goldwyn
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Rochlow

I'm using my grandfather's 40 year old Binks Model 7. Awesome spray gun for the time and can still be bought for under $100
Posted via Mobile Device
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
69 gmc

Thanks for the great amount of help. This project would be going nowhere without you guys.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

I, too, have the Finex (3000 model w/1.3 tip) which I've just started using. you can get them for $115-119, including shipping, on e-bay.

since I'm a total amateur, I'm still working on my skill. but I think I'm going to like it. I had narrowed my selection down to the Finex and the Devilbiss Finishline, ended up choosing the Finex because of the wider achievable spray pattern (but then, what do I know?)
Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
Bags

I also have a Finex 3000 with a 1.3 tip. It is my second one due to a bent needle on my first one. It was $65 for a new needle and tip, or $140 for a new gun. I went with a new one. I got around 2 years out of the first one with no issues while using it multiple times daily. Now days I only use it for spraying primer although I did do one complete paint job with it when I first started painting. It sprayed sealer and base like a champ. I think it is an awesome gun for the money. I still use it as my primer gun, but have since stepped up to an Iwata LPH-400 1.3 for base and an Iwata W-400 for clear. Long story short, I would definitely recommend a Finex 3000 as an affordable, dependable gun for any priming, painting and clearing of miscellaneous parts.
Bags is offline   Reply With Quote