The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
AHRMA17L

What to do...

First time post here. I have been out of cars and trucks for nealy 20 years after selling my 69 Chevelle, 69 Camaro, and 69 Custom 20 a little over 20 years ago.

I have regained an interest and have been looking for a 69-72 1/2 ton for a while in the $5,000 range. I hadn't found anything worth owning aside from a few 3/4 tons, but they still weren't "nice." I am looking for a nice daily drive, not a show truck.

So on an impulse, I buy this thing. One owner since 1978, completely stock and original. 350, 4BBL, Turbo 400, 12 bolt posi with heavu duty suspension and swaw bars. Runs like a top.

So what's the catch? RUST.

With two small kids and a house in the burbs, I don't have a lot of time or space. I can do all of the mechanical work, but body work is out of the question. I can paint the truck at my dad's (he was a car restoration guy).

What do you guys think? Should the project be tackled? Rockers, front fenders, roof rail, cab corners. One strong point is that there is no rust in the bed.

AHRMA17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
cforshey71

Re: What to do...

Not sure what area you're in but I just pulled my cab out of the shop for literally all the same rust spots here in AZ. Your doors will most likely have a few spots that are rusting through as well. Basically my project cost me about $1400 after I spent $350 to have it media blasted. Just giving you an idea of what you're looking at if you take it to a shop. Hope this helps
cforshey71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Number 1: Grind/scrape out the rain lip above the windshield,treat with rust stop,prime,seam seal it,and put matching paint on. You can get spray cans mixed up at an automotive paint supply house. The fenders are a bolt-on deal,so have those handy before starting in on the cab. You can fix that cab corner w/o replacing the complete corner. I'd leave that be and concentrate on the rockers/outer floor,which can be done in relatively little time in the driveway. Leave doors on for measuring and alignment. Then,cut an area from the corners and cut a piece from the patch panel. The doors may still be ok. I'd pull the interior panels and clean them out as best you can,dowse with rust stop,prime,and paint,making sure the drain holes are good and open. Replace the window seals to prevent water from getting down there. All this can be touched up with color-matched spray bomb until the day you ever do a serious tear-down restoration

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
AHRMA17L

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Number 1: Grind/scrape out the rain lip above the windshield,treat with rust stop,prime,seam seal it,and put matching paint on
...The fenders are a bolt-on deal,so have those handy before starting in on the cab.
...The doors may still be ok. I'd pull the interior panels and clean them out as best you can,dowse with rust stop,prime,and paint,making sure the drain holes are good and open. Replace the window seals to prevent water from getting down there. All this can be touched up with color-matched spray bomb until the day you ever do a serious tear-down restoration
Unfortunately, the doors are hosed with the bottoms rusted out and speaker holes cun into them.

You were reading my mind with what I was thinking about doing when I looked at this thing. Basically get it weather proofed so it doesn't deteriorate any further, collect the replacement parts (fenders, hood, etc.) and then tear into it as time allows.

It is a solid truck, but since I live on the west coast, I would never buy anything with rust, but even the "great" trucks in the $5,000 range, while nothin like this one, still had the beginnings and pinholes of rust in the rockers, etc.

Looks like I'll be proceeding.
AHRMA17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
WIDESIDE72

I would keep an eye onthe parts board and local craigslist for a good cab and swap it. It would be alot cheaper even if you factor gas if you have to go get one.Make it a road rip vacation! You are on the right side of the country to find one. I have heard that there are some to be found in montana and Wyoming as well as new Mexico California and Arizona. I recently bought a 70 big block longhorn locally with 78k miles that still had California tags for $1200. Zero rust! (it's in my build threads)
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote