The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

So do you think this can be repaired

bought this truck the other day started assessing body work what do you all think
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: So do you think this can be repaired

more
Attached Images

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
chrismoore701

Without a doubt. It will take some real work but what else do you have to do? I can't see good under the cab. Is the frame bent? Just cut the rocker and floor out. Reinforce the cab before you cut up. Take a couple days and patience. Good luck
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
chrismoore701

Oh yea. Through in a new door. That one will be a little tricky to fix
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:18 AM   #5
andrewmp6

First i would take it to a body shop and let them put it on the frame table to see if the frame is bent or not.Even if its bent they can pull it back straight for you.After that it would be a lot of sheet metal work to get it back to normal.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
jdl71

It really does not look like any more sheet metal work than we have to do repairing rust, so I wouldn't see why not.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:54 AM   #7
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

I built mine on a rolling frame with axles, only the cab is original (see my signature). I have NO regrets having done so. It just needs love.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #8
Cape Codder

The trick is to pull all the damaged metal back where it belongs before cutting it off. A come along pulling with a jack and some wood blocks behind pushing will do wonders. While pulling and jacking lightly tap on the crown of any kinks to relieve pressure as it comes out. It looks like the B pillar has most of the damage, better than trying to pull an A pillar.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
lilpoindexter

It doesnt look like there is frame damage to me, and I assume that for your area the rust isnt too bad. It's do-able.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

whomever had this truck before took excellent care of it. I got it from the insurance auction and was amazed. Originally I thought I could part it and make a few bucks but when I got it home, I first decided to swap out the ignition cylinder so I could start it and it ran great so I kinda snuck out on the road and drove it a bit and she tracked well and ran so im trying to figure out a way to fix it. The only issue is is that its a salvage certificate truck so I have to have it inspected by the state once its fixed to prove its roadworthy again, so if the state inspectors are going to inspect it I have to make sure its fixed 100% and cant hack stuff up
now the problem is is I was searching for a parts truck and found this little gem and I have to restore it too lol the whole thing is there minus motor and trans ( and of course I have that sitting in the garage)
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 10-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #11
Cape Codder

In our state if you want rebuild a salvage title vehicle when getting it inspected they are more concerned with where the parts came from than quality of repair. We are required to have invoices for all parts and if used parts are involved you need the VIN from the donor. Also proof of sales tax paid on parts. It is more about catching stolen vehicles and parts than repair quality. The inspectors are state troopers not repair techs. Your state may differ but have documents ready. No inspection needed for vehicles over 10 years old.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote