The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
SquareBox86

85 tie rod taper worn

Started putting my front end together, LH TRE looked good, RH side the TRE goes too far up into the knuckles taper...cotter pin hole is above the nut. I looked for a bushing type fix online but nothing really. People run the 1 tons I see but I rather fix this knuckle since it's all mounted and cleaned up if I could. Plus who knows what another used ones will be like, I actually have a parts truck and it is exactly the same way...lh side is ok and rh side the cotter pin is above the nut and the rubber is crushed. Could throw a washer under the nut I guess but that would be hack...any fix ideas? Rh tre is a es2011r, pics are of lh and rh, tre's are just pushed up by hand and nut snugged
Attached Images

SquareBox86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
SquareBox86

Re: 85 tie rod taper worn

Really no ideas here? I did some more looking and came up with a few options:
1) ream both knuckles for 1 ton tre's
2) just reem the rh knuckle for a 1 ton, moog problem solver thread should be the same as 1/2t
3)new knuckle, but I can't find a new one so far
4) go with the washer
Bushings I find are for 1t, taper is the same but hole is bigger. No off-roading with the truck either, it's a resto street machine so no need for hiem joints or flipped tre's
Old 10-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
cadillac_al

I have come across this before more than once and always blamed it on the wrong tie rod end. I have put a washer under there and called it a day. I can't remember which vehicle it was but I finally replaced that tie rod end and the new one fit correctly. I think I would double check it with a new one. If it does the same thing, still doesn't fit right, you should be able to return it. I think it is pretty hard to damage that taper so I still think it is the wrong tre. good luck
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
SquareBox86

After looking at my other truck with the same exact tie rods (moog) I called them...of course they verified the part number and the number on top of the stud to make sure the taper was right. They said to put a washer under it which I was very surprised of. I flipped the rods around and the lh fit in the rh the same way...so it's not in the tre's. measured the hole on the bottom, seems to be about .020 bigger...hard to measure taper tho.
The only thing I don't like about the washer is that the boot gets smashed....it wouldn't be long before it ripped
Old 10-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
Smallz72project

It can be repaired. The tapered hole gets reamed out and a taper repair bushing is installed. A lot of 4 wheel drive guys that do a lot off road and want to put hi-steer on do this. They just install the bushing on the top instead of the bottom. More then likely, at some point that truck had the tierod loose in the taper thus wearing it to a larger diameter.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
SquareBox86

Found that Teraflex Part #: 600242 is a straight (od) bushing instead of tapered one. Going to try that and see if it will work