The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
cparman
sharp as a marble

my first air ride install // sort of

One of my customers ( I am old enough to be his dad ) has a 63 Cadillac coupe. Already has bags in all four corners, two tanks in the trunk, two Vi Air compressors, and what I would call a bunch of presidential plumbing, and wiring. The system currently works from 3 toggle switches under the dash. One to turn on the compressors, and two to make the front and rear go up and down in some non specific way. He has coming my way a new Ride pro 3 controller, and a big red valve set up. We are going to install this tomorrow, or Saturday. For the air ride experts, " IAM ALL EARS " help is always appreciated.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: my first air ride install // sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
.... For the air ride experts, " IAM ALL EARS " help is always appreciated.
Since this "aint your first Rodeo" I would suggest unpacking everything and laying it out to fit your application. Once you get it laid out the way you want it, give us a shout. You know pretty much what needs to be done, and we can walk you through the rest.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

After laying everything out and checkin out the instructions, I would remove most if not all of the current plumping and wiring... depending on the condition of the current plumbing.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

about 1:30 today, I started. mounted the big red solenoid pack, planned where I was going to put the controller. Started to remove some of the large speaker wire that was there for some of the wiring to the up and down valves. I want you guys to know that I had 12v+ hot in the trunk in two places. Started wiring the system, plumbed big red, need one more 90 degree elbow for the feed to big red and the system will power up and run ( hopefully ) stopped working about 5:30. Will go to my shop tomorrow and plumb the last fitting ( NAPA is getting me one ) make the system work, and then run the cable and the keypad to the front of the car. My play project is to cut up the ash tray, and have the keypad at about a 20 degree angle. So when he slides the ashtray open he can make what ever adjustment he needs and nobody can see after he closes the ashtray. That will be something I do at home, with a beer, and a really good cigar that Greg is going to buy me, he doesn't know this yet, but he will tomorrow.

N2TRUX, how do you run the air line? this car has stainless 1/2 " tubing running thru the frame to the fronts, and then a short piece of plastic tubing. The rear s are plastic tubing only. They used compression fitting to connect them together. One of the front lines has a pretty good leak. Have not done the soapy water thing yet, but want this car to operate like I worked on it, NOT, like my friend Greg worked on it ha ha

Last edited by cparman; 03-26-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Chip- My system is plumbed with 3/8" DOT plastic line and push-loc fittings. There is nothing wrong with hardline, it just takes more work to get it right.

Post some pics when you have a chance.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
cparman
sharp as a marble

I have this car racked. I will take my camera to work tomorrow, and shoot some pics. Constructive criticism is always welcome
Old 03-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
cparman
sharp as a marble

here are some pics. For all of you air ride 'techies' I do need some help. We powered this system up this morning, and got an error message that said that I had the LR and RR sensors connected to big red wrong. Checked the wiring diagram, and the wire color was correct. I thought what the heck, and swapped them. error message gone. Pressurized the system, and checked for leaks. one leak fixed, and thought I should check to make sure that when I connected the battery cable for the last time that I did not have a battery draw. Did, and corrected that. My problem is that I cannot get the system to go all the way thru a calibration, and it will not let me cancel the calibration either. When it starts the calibration it gets to a point that says suspension type, and will just sit there and click one of the solenoids. I assume that I have made the ECU mad. I turned the system off, disconnected both connectors from the ECU, disconnected the ground cable at the battery and when home to sulk!! Like my avatar says " sharp as a marble "

SOMEONE HELP THIS OLD MAN
Attached Images

Last edited by cparman; 03-27-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
cparman
sharp as a marble

Well after being sure I had messed something up, I went to a board member for a shoulder to cry on. Thanks N2TRUX ! Today I spoke to Air Ride Tech, and told them my story. They were a good listener, respectful of my description, and think my troubles are in the ECU. I will call them again tomorrow, and hopefully get this figured out. I will keep all posted.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
kev2809
low n' slo

nice..u got any pictures of the car?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
cparman
sharp as a marble

Caddy went to the upholstery shop yesterday. When I get it back I will shoot a couple of shots of the rat rodded Caddy. The owner ( friend ) was told not to buy this car. he did not listen, I chewed his butt, he look at me and went ' oh well ' . It is a really solid body, and I think with some help from me it could make it to DD status soon. I like this young man, but just have to give him some %^&* sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
nice..u got any pictures of the car?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
cparman
sharp as a marble

UPDATE !!

The wiring diagram on the back page of the RIDE PRO E3 is incorrect. The color for the LR and the RR are switched. I now know this, and that I need to switch the lines as well. I spoke to Darren today, and he has given me a return goods #. He has asked me to send him the ECU, and the keypad. Seems that Britt has seen my troubles before, and ART said that they would turn around the pieces I need in a day. The conversation I had with them was not painful, thankfully. They made me feel that they had a willingness to help, and did not make this old man feel like a DA. I respect that! In my dealings with aftermarket companies, I have had a couple of occasions where the vendor just KNEW it was not their product, it was the installer. not the case here.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
cparman
sharp as a marble

Well I got a new ECU from Air Ride, and plugged it in. I now have manual control, and when the upholsterer gets done ( If I live that long ) I will get the Caddy back. I will then go thru the calibration, and shorten all of the harness to my satisfaction. Their response time was great! hopefully in a couple of weeks I will finish what I started. Thanks to air Ride for their help
Old 05-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
cparman
sharp as a marble

Well did everyone feel the earth shake? The upholsterer finally finished. Greg called me Late Friday, Told him to come by the house and we would see if it would learn. IT DID !!!!! Told Greg to bring me the car Tuesday morning and I would make sure the front end was tight, and push button #2 and see if I could align the car and mount his new wide whitewall radials.
Greg Called last night about 8:30 p.m. Had there not been a race on I would have been almost horizontal. Greg and his girlfriend were out on the Caddy. It was parked in front of a restaurant/bar, and some drunk in a Ford does a burnout, and drives the trunk in the Caddy about 6" forward. The drunk went to jail, along with his friend that was written up for being drunk in public and on a bicycle. The Caddy is at my shop ( took it there last night ) and will take my camera to work tomorrow. Feel bad for my friend, I guess we will see what the insurance companies have to say. More later
Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Exactly why I stay home most fri and sat nights!! That really sucks..

Last edited by Bazooka; 05-02-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Dang that sucks. I was ready for a good update, and now I read this. Heart breaking news buddy.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #16
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Bummer...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #17
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Damn and I was really wanting to see this thing done..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote