The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
orange72sub

1954 chevy 3100 five window restomod or slammed stocker?

I have a 1954 chevy five window that has been garaged for the last 20 years. It is so solid, i can't believe it. The only problem with the truck besides the original drivetrain [ you know granny geared three speed and max speed 50mph lol ] is the crappy red paint that is flaking off of it. I have a 1995 z28 camaro convertible with 59k miles on it that I got t boned in. The car still drives perfect aside from the fact that the passenger side is 12" hour glassed now. It has the LT1 engine and 6spd manual trans with posi rearend, I am thinking about swapping this drivetrain into the 54. Do you guys think I can repurpose the rearend on the truck? Also when you pull the engine from the camaro you pull the whole cradle and front suspension too. Would it be possible to use the front clip on this truck. I have never done a front independent conversion before. So I have a lot of questions as too what can and could work best. I don't have a big budget and I would like to use as much as possible of what I have at hand. The other option would be to put a lowering front axle on it and a new rearend under the back with either lowering blocks and or new lower springs. I am in the planning stages right now and so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to all who reply.
orange72sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
yossarian19

Re: 1954 chevy 3100 five window restomod or slammed stocker?

The front clip is actually a fairly common swap. I don't know anything about it, really, except that it can be and commonly is done.
The rear end on the truck... well, personally I wouldn't put a 1954 axle designed for 120 horsepower (even if under 1/2 ton) behind an LT1. I'd be nervous about it.

Search around on the site, you'll see who / how the camaro swap has been done.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
OrrieG

Look at the build threads, narrow down your concepts and put together a time/expertise/$$$ budget. If you want to clip the truck and upgrade the drive train you can probably find someone elses half finished project for less than it would cost you to do it and all the time put into it. If you don't have the budget or patience your project could be the one that gets passed on half finished. If you want to do it for the experience and process that is one thing, if you want a driver right now, buy one it will cost less in the long run.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
orange72sub

You are so right about it being cheaper to just buy one already done. I just have a hard time claiming the glory for someone else's hard work and craftmanship. I am a hands on kind of guy. I would like to make it a and independent front with a weld in mustang II front. I just didn't know if I would be able to use any of the suspension parts off of the camaro. Also I plan on changing the rear axle regardless of what engine I use. I would like to make this truck more enjoyable to drive. I would like to drive it everyday. So good brakes, steering, trans, and engine are necessary.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
orange72sub

By the way Orrie G nice 58! I love old heavy iron! I also have a 64 K10 with the original divorced trans, and front axle with cardon joints and eaton rearend. Its torne down right now though.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
wood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Look at the build threads, narrow down your concepts and put together a time/expertise/$$$ budget. If you want to clip the truck and upgrade the drive train you can probably find someone elses half finished project for less than it would cost you to do it and all the time put into it. If you don't have the budget or patience your project could be the one that gets passed on half finished. If you want to do it for the experience and process that is one thing, if you want a driver right now, buy one it will cost less in the long run.

I agree with that. Always less $$ to find one complete or a rolling chassis that's been started and not complete. Either way you can still make it your own with your ideas. All depends on how much you can do yourself and what you want to spend..
As for "restomod or slammed" - in my opinion - restomod & slammed!!
Sounds like you have some good things to start with. Good luck
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
OrrieG

I don't know what the cut off year for using the camaro clips is, but I think its around 92?? Maybe someone else can post the correct date. At the mininum the engine, trans and rearend are usable, as probably some of the brake parts.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote