The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Rednek13x

air bag bellows or sleeve bags for rear?

what works better for bag over bar with parallel 4 link set up. In the front i have SS7 bags, and was thinking using the same in the rear but seen sleeve type used also. pros/cons of both?
Rednek13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: air bag bellows or sleeve bags for rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednek13x View Post
what works better for bag over bar with parallel 4 link set up. In the front i have SS7 bags, and was thinking using the same in the rear but seen sleeve type used also. pros/cons of both?
you cant use sleeve bags in bag over bar, you will exceed their rating very quickly, and they dont do well in off axis mounting.

if you are doing bag over bar, you will use bellows. an re7 is kind of overkill for the rear, the big bags should be up front where all the weight is. If you use a big bag in the rear the spring rate will be really low at really low air pressure, somewhere around 35psi will be all the way up and 7-10psi will be where you will want to be driving. I would use an RE6 on the rear, scratch that, YOU should probably use an RE6 on the rear I would probably run an RE5 haha.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
Rednek13x

thanks for the info and clearing that up for me!

Now onto the back again, i will haul things, weather its a motorcycle or other stuff in the back. This is my first time dealing with air ride, what should i be running for pressures in the front and rear for ride height.?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednek13x View Post
thanks for the info and clearing that up for me!

Now onto the back again, i will haul things, weather its a motorcycle or other stuff in the back. This is my first time dealing with air ride, what should i be running for pressures in the front and rear for ride height.?

with RE7 in front you can probably lock up the suspension at about 80psi, depending on your control arm setup and engine weight. you should drive at whatever height lets your shocks work without foaming and doesnt scrape. all depends on your setup really. I like sleeve bags over axle in the rear because 1. I have never needed the 22" of lift a bag over bar setup gives, sleeves get about 7" which will clear speed bumps and bloated racoons (tested!) and 2. because sleeves with shocks ride so good you'll think your truck turned into sunshine.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
Rednek13x

again this is my first time dealing with air ride. Learning as i go. Ill look into the sleeve bags over the axle, i guess i dont really need or would want 22" of lift, my front is about 6-7" from laid out to lifted with 60psi and a bare chassis.

what are a good sleeve bag?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
joedoh

Firestone f9000 is the sleeve bag I use. Make certain to limit lift with shocks or straps because they will tear when overextended. 7-8 inches is enough if you keep a good level laid out stance.

Pressures like I said will be a fallout of your setup, can't predict it really. Sleeves will let you haul bikes or whatever you want. The load capacity is high enough.