The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
stepside83

project 83

here is my build, that is a very slow process, im buliding a 1983 chevy c-10 2wd stepside, ive owned the truck since i was 14 (im 24 now) my pap owned it, my dad owned it, and now i own it, it was just a daily driver, use to have a god aw full white aluminum cap on it running boards, etc... my dad and i took thos off when he got it, it had a 250 I-6 from a 75 c-10 and 3 on the tree, that i learned how to drive when i was 9, nothing special just you basic work truck, rubber floor vynal bench seat, no head liner and a radio, thats it, just what yo u need to get it down the road pretty much,

i have it tore down to the frame already, and the cab replaced and in primer, the rest of the plans are to put a 350sbc with a 4 speed on the floor, prob the new process 4 speed, that was used in these trucks and in mopar cars, itll have air suspension, im just gonna do the plates and cups and 3 inch spindals up front with 2600 bags (not sure on brand yet for bags) and the rear is goning to get a 2 link set up and pan hard bar with either a c notch or step notch (havent decided yet), itll be some shade of blue with a cowl hood, roll pan out back, chrome front bumper, no badges on fenders (i think, we'll see) shaved stake pockets, fuel cell under bed, and instead of single square headlights llike it had im going to use the dual head light set up on each side with the turn signal behind grill, i like how it looks a lot more, even tho there used a lot on these trucks, but the wheels will be 20x8 boss 338 gray centers up front and 20x10 (if they'll fit, maybe some could help me out if they will or not) in the rear with oak wood for the bed floor, and black interior with carpet and a headliner, im sure im missing some things that i will do, but if you wanna know more just ask, enough with the rambling heres the pics, first couple arent great due to bad camera,

pic 1, is how the truck was when i drove it all through high school
pic 2, is the tired old 250 straight 6 with 250,000 on the clock
pic 3, the start of the tare down, thats my dad in the pic
pic 4, just tearing down keeping all that i can, cab was being scrapped due to to much rust
pic 5, is how the truck looked at the end of the weekend when we took it apart
Attached Images

Last edited by stepside83; 02-09-2012 at 05:40 PM.
stepside83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
stepside83

Re: project 83

and yes i started this project in 2008, deff slow going

first pic is the new cab and how it looked before any body work started
(which all work on this truck is done by me, my dad, and a buddy of mine thats it, everything from ground up will be done by us 3 when its done)

pic 2 is my dad stripping the roof to bare metal
pic 3 is the start of filler for cab corner and rockers that were replaced on both sides
pic 4 is just the fire wall and some holes welded up that i didnt need any more
pic 5 is how the cab sits now with the first stage of primer on it, there will be at least one more go around at the primer before paint, thats how itll go for all body panels
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
stepside83

these ar the last of the pics, ive worked on it here and there since and have been collecting parts all along as well, the frame needed to be replaced i found that out after i wire wheeled it and por 15 and painted it black i have new frame go it a few weeks ago, in the spring when work pics up, im gonna have it blasted, and then its on like donkey kong

pic 1, is me working on the old frame
pic 2, is the wheels im going to use 20x8 in front and 20x10 in rear unless they wont fit, if any one has tried to use the 20x10 on there stepside in the rear let me know if there gonna fit, or of any mods you had to do to get them to fit, but thats it for now, when i get started on it again, ill keep the pics coming i had to stop due to my son being born 2 years ago money was needed else where, but now we can get back on it and see how long itll be before i can go and show it off thanks for looking, any comments are welcome as well as ideas and pics of your own things you've done on your stepper,
Attached Images

Last edited by stepside83; 02-09-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
made2drag

nice build so far...you've gotton alot done and all the hard work done. the suspension will be a breeze especially if the frame doesnt have the cab and bed on it. since the new frame is mostly bare and it would be the time to do it....section the crossmember! it will give you lots of clearance under the truck, even if you do want to lay frame. now i dont know all of the ins and outs but if you wanted it low you could z it or section the crossmember and it will be lower in the end. alot of people z the frame like 2 or 3 inches which basically moves the crossmember and all the front suspension up. if you did that you could just bag it and not have to worry about 2-300 for spindles. i think you would have to do something with your steering though
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
made2drag

i think you should probably z it instead of the sectioned crossmember...it doesnt look hard...with the eng out that is

looking forward to seeing more progress in the future
Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
stepside83

thanks i will for sur have more pics as the weather gets nicer out and work picks up, and as for the z ing of the frame, i have the slightest idea on how to even start that project, ive seen pictures so i know what you mean by it, but have no idea on how to go about it, i think ill just go for the route you took on the front, and i plan on selling my drop kit i was going to use and the money from that plus a lil more added will by my spindels unless i dont need them?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
made2drag

i'd say save the money on buying spindles and modify your lower control arms. i'll try to find a pic. if you can measure, cut and you know an experienced welder, i would cup the lca's. they would do the same thing a spindle would do and also let you tuck a little more because you can narrow them 1 inch
Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
made2drag

here is how you section the crossmember to gain clearance. since you probably already have a spare crossmember! again, the welding needs to professionally done.

http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/chopcross.html
Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
made2drag

here a fast search and link i found on different ways to modify lca's. the point is to make the area where the bag sits...bigger...so you can run a 2600 or 2700 without rubbing. and it also lowers the bags down another 1 inch which really comes out to 2 inches...somehow. i have also seen people chop the arm near the lower ball joint and take 1 inch out and also raise it some more then weld it back. i think the cupping part would be done with good measuring and welding skills.... of course, it would be easy to just buy 3 inch lowering spindles.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436787
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
made2drag

keep in mind you can lay crossmember with drop spindles and bags. the sectioned crossmember would get you lower by the width of the peice cut out. the first thing to scrub after that would be the frame. just giving some options since you came get to everything with the frame bare. some people including me would love to start with no motor or weight on the chassis
Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
made2drag

bump to the top
Old 02-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
stepside83

Bump
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
made2drag

come on spring...it was 25 this morning. but will be in the 70s this week. after the suspensions done about how long before its on the road? in other words are you shooting for this summer? the way it sits now, im sure your already thinking about what color paint you want it to be?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
stepside83

well im hoping to have suspensioon and frame done, as well as the body work done and the whole truck in color, by end of summer, well see, if that happens, then i hope to have it done enough to where i can get in inspected, and take it to a few shows next summer some time, its alot of work, but i have all the body parts i needed to replace, except for the rear stepside fender on the driver side and a tail gate, having trouble finding them, i know i can get them brand new but there expensive that way, and its going to be blue just a few shades darker than the orginal blue in the first pic in this build,
Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside83 View Post
well im hoping to have suspensioon and frame done, as well as the body work done and the whole truck in color, by end of summer, well see, if that happens, then i hope to have it done enough to where i can get in inspected, and take it to a few shows next summer some time, its alot of work, but i have all the body parts i needed to replace, except for the rear stepside fender on the driver side and a tail gate, having trouble finding them, i know i can get them brand new but there expensive that way, and its going to be blue just a few shades darker than the orginal blue in the first pic in this build,
sounds good!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
stepside83

scored this new to me gauge bezel, it looks brand new, but its not, got it off of ebay shipped to my door for 36 bucks
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
made2drag

Quote:
scored this new to me gauge bezel, it looks brand new, but its not, got it off of ebay shipped to my door for 36 bucks
i like it! it does look new...mine is original. i took mine off to freshen up the silver with a silver paint marker from walmart...it did wonders
Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
stepside83

I had to switch cabs, my old cab had the wipers and lights on the dash, where the cab im using has just the lights on the dash,
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
stepside83

just ordered parts, for the air suspension should be here by end of next week, will post pics when they arrive
Old 02-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
made2drag

Quote:
just ordered parts, for the air suspension should be here by end of next week, will post pics when they arrive

alright!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
stepside83

was wondeing what tail light you guys liked more, the first is of a memebrs truck on another forum, and the 2nd is from a mag, would just do one solid light on each side instead of 2 smaller ones on each side if i do the second pic let me know
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
made2drag

second pic! make sure they are reflective though. maybe get 2 long ones for brake lights/running lights and a clear rev light in the middle?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
made2drag

man, i love the second pic. hands down the best step rear ive ever seen. where can i find more pics of it?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
stepside83

Ya that pic is what has inspired me to build my truck when I got I t when I was 14, if you go to truckinweb.com and type in 1 lo 74 it should come up with the article and all the pics, trust me its worth the search
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #25
made2drag

check these out

http://www.semomarketplace.com/marke...eatures/11094/