The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Blake_H

Nylon Fuel Lines

Hey guys!

I am at the point where I need to do the fuel system in my swap. In doing some research, I discovered the nylon fuel line, and think that will fit within my skill set.

But, I want to make sure I have all my ducks in row before I pull the trigger.

1. Returnless fuel rail from a 2005 8.1l
2. Dorman 800-300 Fuel Line Repair Kit
3. Dorman 800-072 3/8" bulk fuel line (25 ft.)
4. Dorman 800-071 5/16" bulk fuel line (25 ft.)
5. Wix Corvette Fuel Regulator 33737
6. DEI Fire Sleeve to cover the lines as they travel down the frame along side the exhaust.

Am I missing anything on the list?

And few questions.
How would you do the vent? I would like to keep the canister on the core support and run the vent to it. Will that long of line from the tank to the core support work with fuel injection? Factory, it's 1/4", but all I can find from Dorman is 5/16" line.

Also, how do I make the connection to the fuel sending unit on my truck with these nylon lines?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Blake_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Shon

Re: Nylon Fuel Lines

I am running/trying to run the nylon/plastic lines on my Fox body and its great b/c it's 'cheap' but doesnt like bends and if it bends it will crimp and that section looks like it is not going to flow properly. I would say it would be much easier to run it on a truck frame than the mustang since there is actually places to run the line.

3/8" feed line and 5/8" return line.

U r going to need the fittings from dorman that click onto the hard lines. And you do not need the Dorman 800-300 unless you just want to spend that much money on that and if I was going to do ALOT of these then I would but I used a home made set up.
I will see if I can find the thread here that made the light go off but you basically use the clamp that's used for brake line flariing to hold the line and then you use a "caulk gun" to press the fitting into the line. Works pretty well if you have patience.

Hope that helps.

here is the thread that shows link to LS1tech: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&postcount=10
Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Blake_H

Thanks Shon! I'll order everything up and get going. Any ideas on what fitting to you use for the fuel sender?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Shon

When you say fuel sender you mean feed line to the vette filter regulator?
if so, you will want the straight steel to nylon 3/8" dorman fitting. Dorman 800-058
And then you will need the steel 18" or less if you can find it with another steel to 3/8" fitting. Dorman 800-155

here is a link i use alot for part numbers and pix:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/docume...uyersGuide.pdf
Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Blake_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_H View Post
Hey guys!

Also, how do I make the connection to the fuel sending unit on my truck with these nylon lines?

No, I meant the fuel sender on my truck. Everything else is pretty straightforward. Really only have questions about the factory sender and jumping from nylon to rubber for the vent.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Shon

Quote:
No, I meant the fuel sender on my truck. Everything else is pretty straightforward. Really only have questions about the factory sender and jumping from nylon to rubber for the vent.
I do not know what the ohms are of the sending unit in the tank compared to the truck and if you are using stock truck gauges.

For the vent tube: why do you need to go from rubber to nylon? the vent can be vented to atmosphere. but if you need to go from R to N then I would use fuel line unions with clamps:
800-011 or 800-012
it will not have any fluid, unless you have issues.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Blake_H

I wasn't talking about the wiring of the fuel sender to the gauges. I was referring to the connections from the nylon fuel to the sender's fuel output, return and vent. That's a different flare than the fuel rail. That's the last piece of the puzzle.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Shon

I see what you mean now, doh!
nylon line might could be pressed onto those and then for extra measure would clamp.
or i know rubber will go over and clamp then just use the steel barbed fitting and go to nylon
Old 11-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Blake_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
I see what you mean now, doh!
i know rubber will go over and clamp then just use the steel barbed fitting and go to nylon
Speaking of doh! I thought of that about 10 minutes ago. I will just do that, so that if I ever have to drop the tank, I can take it apart inside the frame.

Thanks Shon, I really appreciate the help.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
Blake_H

I forgot one last thing. I see in photos of the wix filter that the feed and return on the back have the same flare as the fuel rail. But on the front of the Wix I need a 800-155 to insert into the filter? Then Nylon off of that to the fuel rail, correct?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
Shon

Quote:
front of the Wix I need a 800-155 to insert into the filter? Then Nylon off of that to the fuel rail, correct?

That is what i use 800-155 and it will have the same bead on the other end and will need a fitting like 800-058 pressed into nylon and then run that to the fuel ral where you need another 058 to connect to the fuel rail
Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
Shon

NOTE: the straight or 90* fittings to go from nylon to steel are packaged in 2s.
so I have many extra pieces here, LOL
Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
Blake_H

I will take note of that! I just put my order in for, hopefully all the fittings I need. We'll see.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
72gmcshorty

if you try to press your own fittings (like the 058) onto the nylon tubing, i highly recommend using a lubricant spray on the end of the connector and inside the tubing. I just pressed my own lines and was not able to do it without the lube.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
Shon

mine were done dry...but agree that some lube would not hurt
Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #16
72gmcshorty

any idea how to go from this fitting on the end of my sending unit to nylon tubing? It is a 14mm compression fitting on the end.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #17
Blake_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmcshorty View Post
if you try to press your own fittings (like the 058) onto the nylon tubing, i highly recommend using a lubricant spray on the end of the connector and inside the tubing. I just pressed my own lines and was not able to do it without the lube.
That's good to know, especially since it just turned cold here and I have all this going on in the driveway between snow flurries. What type are we talking about? Did you use something that you noticed worked better than something else? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #18
mcbassin
Still Learning

You guys get all this figured out yet? Please take lots of pics. I originally planned on using this material on my son's TBI setup and backed out in the end.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
83 Silverado

I think some one posted this link before http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220894 some of the info is not bad, I was looking at doing this for my 4.8l swap in my short box.
83 Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #20
Shon

Quote:
any idea how to go from this fitting on the end of my sending unit to nylon tubing? It is a 14mm compression fitting on the end.
Dorman makes a compression style fitting that is supposed to go from nylon to steel, cut the end off and do that.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
Shon

Quote:
That's good to know, especially since it just turned cold here and I have all this going on in the driveway between snow flurries. What type are we talking about? Did you use something that you noticed worked better than something else? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Petroleum jelly
Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #22
72gmcshorty

i used silicone spray. worked great
Old 11-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #23
72gmcshorty

Quote:
Just a heads up i found the connector: 800-079

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalo...Disconnect.pdf
Old 11-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #24
Blake_H

I got my fuel system done. I switched over my 2002 fuel rail with a return to a 2006 rail w/o return and used the Corvette Wix filter. I bought the filter from Gotelli Speed Shop on eBay for $29.99. I also bought the Dorman tool from amazon.com. FYI on the tool. It comes with no directions and it took a while to figure out which dye went with what fitting. Overall not bad to figure out, but I didn't think it wouldn't come without some type of instructions. I'm glad I did buy the tool, though, as I'm not sure I would have been able to build my own. I did use silicone spray from Napa, but I wanted try it without the spray first to see what happened. Just like 72GMCShorty pointed out, it was a mistake. For the barbed unions it wasn't a problem, but with the connectors, holy cow! It tweaked the tubing every time. It was amazing to see the difference.

When I ran the Dorman nylon fuel lines I only had one issue. I went with fuel injection hose for the sender, across the frame rail to the nylon. On the feed the 3/8 fuel injection hose wouldn't seal to the Dorman 3/8 union. So, dad the plumber suggested a trip to the supply house and we came up with a brass 3/8 to 5/16 barbed union for Pex pipe. It sealed up and was royal pain to get the 3/8 on it. It went on the nylon somewhat easy with silicone spray. The return and the vent went on the Dorman unions with no issues. I put DEI's Fire Sleeve over the feed and return to the fuel filter, and over the feed from the filter to the engine. I then used Summit Racing clamps to hold everything to the frame.

Overall, at this point I'm pretty happy with the results. The real test of how happy I am will be when I get this wired and can turn it on and see if there are any leaks.

Thanks for all the help and input!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #25
pacobeagle

A quick fix to install the nylon line............heat up a coffee mug full of hot water. Let the nylon line sit in there for a few seconds and it should soften up enough for you to slide it onto whatever fitting you want.

This is how I did mine and to date, No leaks!
pacobeagle is offline   Reply With Quote