The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #1576
Ta2Don

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Can't believe you are only halfway thru this Epic journey...

Diggin' the write up Mate!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 AM   #1577
mjh1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Where is the Route 66 Museum located ,Kansas ? I want to go there someday ,may drive the 72 Malibu vert.
It was between Oklahoma City and Tulsa hope this picture helps

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #1578
Grizz1963

A photo I forgot to upload from hearted days posting, one more item that caught my eye in the Harley Museum at Miami in Oklahoma.

Next morning we were all up early. It was now Friday, which meant we had passed the halfway mark of the trip.

Kieths wife it seems is an early riser and had left by 06.00 for work. Remember what I said about people working hard in the U.S. ?? She could long since have retired, but continued to work in a job she obviously enjoys.

We all showered, had breakfast, coffee etc and then set off for Fayetteville, back to Arkansas to send a bit more time with Clem, Kim and their four cats.

I still had to collect the new side trim that I had bought months before, as well as the unpolished Stainless steel bed strips. These had been bought on Clem's shop account and delivered to him on my behalf, so I paid him back when we got there. Remember the Ski bag I had bought early in the year for £20.00 or $30.00 ......? This was to be my "sports equipment" on the return trip, and I had already paid the £65.00 or $100.00 for excess baggage up to 23kg or 50lbs Of course there was still the worry about whether they would let me take a 2.1meter or 7" long bag onboard that was ultimately to weigh in at 23kg. Subsequent to all the good planning, I still needed to buy another bag allocation for £140.00 or $215.00 to bring back the rest of the spares and stuff I had accumulated. Just beware if you travel like we did, stuff soon accumulates.

Once again we chose back roads and it delivered to us in spades......

There is so much more to see.

Scrap yards, cars, trucks etc parked out front, and out back of properties. Sometimes a glimpse made us pull over, turn around and go look again.

I had not taken very many photos on this day as the scenery was way too interesting.

At one point we saw what looked like a breakers yard.... Closed when we tried the doors, but as we had turned around to investigate and I was still looking for an original auto column shift steering column to buy, and any yard was open game we went to another business nearby.
Martin waited in the car while I went to ask about the yard.
Inside I met Meri (her parents' fault for naming her) and Paulawho worked the front office and desk.
At first they thought I was a mad Englishman, but soon warmed and started asking questions.
Within minutes, Martin had come to see why I took so long..... He is impatient like that.
Suddenly our quick stop and seeking directions and info about a breakers yard had turned into an hour or more in chat and cultural exchange.
I suspect the girls were massively amused by the way Martin and I play off each other, constantly hitting back and forth at each other.
British humour is different to the American version.
So there in Welston in Lincoln County in Oklahoma, a random stop for directions ended up in Facebook friend requests and well wishes plus a selfie for Paula's Facebook page.

Small world, generous people.

Terrible photo, but perfectly represents the randomness........

Paula to the front, Meri at the rear.

We made it back to Clem's in the afternoon...... Had a few beers down at the shop.

I also had a rather spectacular Mojito that Clem made up for me..... My first.

While packing my side trims and bed strips, Clem asked if there was anything I was still looking for for my truck.

We had mentioned to him that the trip had not delivered on a steering column to replace the one in my truck, but that we were both hampered by sheer volume of stuff. My ultimate weigh in was at 84kg or184lbs not including my back pack.

So he asked again if I would be interested in one if he had one, of course I would be and I said to him, only if I could pay for it.

So we went around to one of his stores, rummaged through the approximately eight he had in stock, all wrong....... He said he was sure that he had one. Until I saw it placed wheel on the floor, further back in the store. EUREKA !!!

We unpacked and dragged it out back to the front workshop and set about stripping it. I did not need the wheel, and my existing steering column had a shaft, so it really was just the rest of the column I needed.

The switch gear on it was brittle and falling apart as we disassembled it, and Clem suggested I order in an OEM part to rebuild it with. At 4.30 on a Fridaywe managed to get one ordered for delivery to Bret's mother in laws home in Austin Texas...... As we would be long gone from Fayetteville by the time it got delivered.
Cost, including overnight delivery was $99.95 which was a lot to pay, but at least one can now rebuild it and have working switchgear.

Clem also agreed to sell the column to me for an incredibly fair price.

I did help too, but here is Clem and Martin fitting a puller to the wheel.

Eventually we decamped back up to the house.

Beer fridge around the corner, bottle caps this side please. I love the way in which Clem manages to make everyday items look just right and in place.

Back at the house I was greeted enthusiastically by all the cats, including Minnie who gave me all of her attention.

My kinda welcome.

Back in "my bedroom" I found this car on the pillow, and a box full of vintage jewelry, clothing, handbags and hats for Nicola, a very thoughtful gift from Kim, who had clearly connected with Nicola through my stories and photos of her. Technology to the ready, I texted Nicola a few iPhone pics....... Response was as could be expected. Pleased.

Coffee, tea, chats and cats took a while, then we were joined by Pete and his wife as well as Jeff from the shop and we all went out to dinner at a local pub and pizza house a few streets and short walk away for another celebration of Martin's 50th Birthday.

The jugs of beer kept coming, we kept on drinking. We met up with more of the locals who had been to Clem's party the previous weekend, and it was great seeing them all again. Even better was the fact that we were greeted like long lost family.

Eventually a load of pizzas came along as well and we all ate ourselves silly. It was an awesome night.

I managed to get the whole restaurant to sing "Happy Birthday" to Martin as well and it ended in a rapturous applause.

Did I mention this trip just kept on giving?

Eventually the seven of us left the restaurant and headed home for more Pool, Baccadri over ice, red skin peanuts and a generally good time till who knows what time of the night.

I think I ended up with two cars in my bed that night, again, not everyone's cuppa tea, but as I love animals and they seem to take to me, it was a perfect finish to the day.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #1579
flashed

Im still reading every update and enjoying your trip.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #1580
tune_1

I am glad to read and see that you had a great trip. The museum is located one mile east of the junction of 66 and 177 in Warwick Okla. in an old gas station.

Dwight
tune_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #1581
65sub

Love the road trip stories. It reminds me of a couple of years I spent in south Texas
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #1582
Ta2Don

Old 11-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #1583
Grizz1963

Quote:
Im still reading every update and enjoying your trip.
HiBuddy, thank you for taking the time to comment, and actually reading all my prattling.
As long as you are on board I will carry on writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune_1 View Post
I am glad to read and see that you had a great trip. The museum is located one mile east of the junction of 66 and 177 in Warwick Okla. in an old gas station.

Dwight
Indeed, and to be honest, people who drive by, are missing out on a seriously stocked little treasure.

They also sell a lot of antiques at very reasonable prices there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sub View Post
Love the road trip stories. It reminds me of a couple of years I spent in south Texas
Thanks for the reply.

I guess you are speaking about hospitality and good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Hey Don, soak to you later on Face Time.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #1584
Johnny_Lamebridge

Rian, thanks for letting us all ride along on your and Martin's epic adventure.

@johnny_lamebridge on Instagram
Johnny_Lamebridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:02 AM   #1585
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Lamebridge View Post
Rian, thanks for letting us all ride along on your and Martin's epic adventure.

I would not have left without you buddy......

Glad if I can have as many people along as possible.

I have these reports running in 15 different places on 9 forums that I post up on, so replying etc takes time. But if it enriches people's lives or makes them want to visit the UK and use our home as a base to travel from etc, then I have done just fine. Likewise, if you can see a different part of the U.S. The same rule applies.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #1586
Grizz1963

SORRY GUYS, SEEMS PHOTOBUCKET IS HAVING A BRAIN FREEZE AS IT IS NOT POSTING THE PHOTOS ASSOCIATED WITH THE LINKS I HAVE POSTED UP.

SOMETIMES THEY DO RECOVER LATER.

Funny how stuff appears.

Bruce's tale on Retro Rides is a compelling read, written by a guy with a much more refined style and some serious camera kit, but also incredible will or want power. I have known him for years and done both business and social with him.

This thread of his is pure entertainment.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thre...-potato-buyers

Here are a bunch of photos from Martin's phone and elsewhere that are now out of sync with the rest of the story, but possibly still worth showing.

When we were visiting Paul and Brandon in Ada they gave us each a year related plate.

I also managed to pick up a Sherriffs vanity plate at a garage sale.

Right....... Back to the random photos. It happens when you have 4 different cameras, three phones and a digital camera, you end up with too many sources.

Around 02.00 we were stilling the big shop when the donkeys, miniatures both, came in and demanded treats from Phil. They are like kids or pest, always getting under your feet.

This was around 03.00 in Norman, Oklahoma.

Austins original paint '57 four door Bel Air. An absolute gem, having been out on the town cruising with it and down the motorway, I can say it is rather special. As with everything in his life, it is for sale if someone wants it desperately enough and has the cash.

Around 03.30 we had got to the Suburban....... Patina, rust free, and a serious tool, Phil then also started it up for us at that time of the night, demonstrated the 3" cutouts that Austin had had fitted for him as a Christmas present. This family really do live and play together. The care and tenderness between father and son was just awesome to see, and the pride Phil has in his sons success is palpable. It made my trip even better as I really value family relationships and closeness.

I love this brute a lot.

Somewhere on a motorway....... I love/d *M*A*S*H* so this was a cool thing to see.

Gas/Petrol price in Red, Diesel in Green

Cost per gallon.

No matter how you cut it, that is cheap....... Make mine a V8

One of the things we did quite a lot on secondary roads was stop at small town pawn shops, you get to chat with awesome world wise people. We also often traded them bits from our baggage and for bits from their shops.

At this pawn shop we spent near an hour speaking with the owner, Russell, and at one point agreed to trade him some fresh English pennies for his collection and a 1977 Queens Jubilee coin for these Copper pieces.

I love the sentiment and artwork on them, not sure what it all means, but it was another random stop that had Martin and I feeling that we were other rip of a lifetime. I also tried to buy a Razorback branding iron from him, but he refused the money and told me to have it and add it to you collection of memories of the trip of a lifetime.
Life certainly is good.

These were untouched by human hands when he handed them to us.

Anyone know the meaning etc, please do reply.

Another random item in his shop.

More in a minute.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #1587
Grizz1963

Well, we have a winner !!!

Thanks to Euan "Moosevan" on Rods n Sods for the reply below.

Molon Labe

Englishified Greek for "Come and get it." Can also mean "Come and take them" - if you can...

Pronounced "Moh-lone Lah-Veh". Common context is in relation to firearms and firearm laws, as a declaration to be made to anyone that wishes to confiscate your gun(s).

Originates from King Leonidas of Sparta, in a message to King Xerxes of Persia, when an overwhelming Persian army demanded that 300 Spartan warriors drop their weapons. Leonidas replied "Molon Labe" (Come and get them) and 300 of his Spartans, and Leonidas himself, were killed, but in so doing killed took huge tolls on the enemy and stalled the Persian army for long enough to let the rest of Greece prepare themselves for the war.

If someone comes to take your guns, tell them "Molon Labe"
Old 11-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #1588
Grizz1963

Back to the next bunch of random photos.

The pawn shops have so much stuff and in the regions where we travelled the Rebel flag, history and Being American is still celebrated with pride and no apologies.

One of the items in Russell's shop I would have loved to own, despite not playing chess, was this set.

I saw some great looking sets of Spurs too in various shops, and would love to collect and own some of them too......

These in Russell's Pawn shop were modern repro cup holders.

Another open road.....

The photo does not do the car justice ...... Willis Hotrod

Different era.....

Pleased with another roadside purchase..... $1.00 bargain.

General Lee ..... Thrown in free at one of my tut purchasing stops. It actually now belongs to Paul in Ada, but resides in Norman with Phil.

Cougar badge for a dollar....??

Another thing we rarely saw on the trip was broken down cars, trucks or bikes.

This one was just when we were leaving the Oklahoma City limits.

More randomness, but high on the cool factor.

Burger and chips anyone? Neat packaging. Photo courtesy of Ta2Don.

Back to Phils place in Norman, this photo definitely taken at 05.00 when we were in the man cave, sampling some of his moonshine collection. I loved it as Iused to distil my own as a teenager as my dad had a still he allowed us to use.

Pricey in my view, item at Harley Museum on Route 66. However, a Coca Cola collector like Herb "BugThug"may know very differently.

Same venue, the first plumbed outhouse in Oklahoma, I think that's what the owner said.

Back on Route 66 at the device station with the colourful bottle wall.

Maybe not everyone's favourite flavour.

Remember Kieth (yes, that is how you spell his name) in Tulsa, here is another photo of his daily job.

With the kid in me still alive and kicking, I had serious envy.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #1589
flashed

Im still watching both posts even if I only respond on one sometimes .Im currently rambling in North and South Carolina and seeing all kinds of fun stuff.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #1590
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Enjoying the review of the trip!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #1591
Grizz1963

Quote:
Im still watching both posts even if I only respond on one sometimes .Im currently rambling in North and South Carolina and seeing all kinds of fun stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Enjoying the review of the trip!
Really glad you gents are still along for the ride.

I am not sure if anyone is still reading this lot, or have moved on to other pastures.

However, here is the next instalment for those still interested

Seems we were having a seriously good night....... So the only photo I think of Martins 5th birthday party dinner was taken by Pete Hoffman who works with Clem. Kim supervising Martin in his party hat.

Next morning we got up leisurely, which was a luxury. Martin had gone upstairs to sleep in the penthouse where Bomp had previously slept and came down in the morning looking decidedly smug at having had a night of deathly sleep, possibly his first in 10 days.

Clem and Kim made us breakfast again, her sausage receipe is just amazing. With all the right touches from the South and some Texas flavour thrown in, I found myself going for seconds every time she cooked, pure greed as it is so good. Clem is the pancake king, and he again uses a bit of magic in his pancakes so they are equally good.

I like to give credit where it is due, and here I will pause just to again reiterate that Clem Johnston is a man amongst men. (Keep in mind, I owe him nothing, so need not say this) he is generous, kind, thoughtful and clearly loved by Kim, which is telling in itself. I do not often meet people who exceed my expectations of them. We had known each other through the virtual reality of the Internet and shared a few phone calls before I got to Fayetteville, so when he exceeded my expectations and perception, it was a good thing. They did try to get us to stay even longer but we had so many places and people to deal with that we had to keep it limited to a couple of nights.

What is it the say about Fish and House guests? They all smell after three days.

After breakfast Clem invited Martin and I down to the shop to go see to the dogs and a few other tasks, which included loading some furniture on the flatbed and taking it out to a ranch in the Ozarks to Monica and Ricks who had lent them to him for the party.

They were not there, but Oscar the pig was there, along with his best friend Rosco.

Clem and Martin not getting as close as I did.........

Incredibly talkative and social is he.

Barn find...?

Can you say Garage....?

We sooooo live in the wrong country. Part of Ricks garage get where stuff happens.

More in a moment if you are still there.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #1592
SamsAutoParts73-87

I will be patiently waiting, I have been checking GJ for your updates, but I just happened to take a look here today.
1981 Chevy K30 350/Th400/NP205
1986 Chevy K30 CUCV 6.2L/TH400/NP208
SamsAutoParts73-87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #1593
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsAutoParts73-87 View Post
I will be patiently waiting, I have been checking GJ for your updates, but I just happened to take a look here today.
Last one for the day.

Carrying on where we left off.

I forgot to mention, in Fayetteville the pub we all went to was the West Mountain Brewery Co.

Great atmosphere, staff, beer and awesome pizzas.

This is the car Rick and Monica built. Again, testament to graft. It has a load of trick details, and sounds just awesome when it approaches or leaves, generating a multitude of smiles.

Rick and Monica built this house themselves and again, I was mesmerised as I had designed my own first house and buillt it in the Cape Town suburb of Glencairn, near Simons Town about 25 years ago.

I would love to build and live in a house like this with broad verandas and design details around the edges.

There is a continual theme of pigs wherever you looks.

Flatbed in front of some of the outbuildings.

I seem to recall mentioning that the people we met on this trip have all worked bloody hard to get what they have. This is another prime example of hard work paying off.

More garden art.

After dropping off the tables and chairs, Clem took us on a slow drive on the real back roads in the county, and my word....... He has some stuff stashed, marked and identified along the way.
One of my favourites was what I would think is a 50-60's Shasta caravan. Perfect condition, but could do with a refresh, he said it had been there for many years and is earmarked for himself.
Various other treasures along the way made the next three hours another highlight of our time spent with the Guru.
Then we returned home, only to be caught out by the whole of Arkansas having come to Fayetteville to watch the Razorbacks play.

Lastly, a brand new pair of safety glasses I bought along the way for $1.00 at a garage sale.

Perfect decoration somewhere in Clem's shop. I was pleased to be able to add something to his fascinating collection of weird and wonderful, stuff.

By mid afternoon Martin and I had packed the Chevy Captiva with our cases and spares, headed back to Searcy to spend another night with Don and Saless before heading town to Texas.

Cases in and the ski bag with bed strips and side mouldings, which at this point was still stressing me, what if the airline said it was oversized.....??

We chose to avoid the motorways again and managed to stop at various places.

Including his great store where this extended cab was for sale, note the rear, opening door.

We spent quite a bit of time and I managed to buy a few items there too, including a silver hand made Crucifix for Nicola and a car dealers chrome sign for myself.

Martin managed to buy an awesome 80's Snap On tools wall clock with two girls in overalls for a trade of £5.00 in English currency.

The seller had this black bead skull that was beautifully cleaned and prepped from an animal that had been hit by a car. As well as a rattle snake spine.

The rest of our trip to Don's place was uneventful and we had a great dinner and time together, an early night by 11.00pm as we wanted to be out to town with him in the morning.

That's it for now......... Thanks for looking in.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #1594
flashed

Im still here and loving every minute of it .
Old 11-15-2015, 11:19 PM   #1595
Ta2Don

I am still enjoying the ride, albeit vicariously, through your words and pix...
Old 11-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #1596
mjh1965

Well I thought I'd put some more of my trip pictures I took .

The pawn shop we stopped at

This is some more of the truck outside that's up for sale

The rear bed was fibreglass

Then after looking outside at the truck I went inside to do a deal on this

He had wanted $20 for it but after talking to him , I had noticed he had lots of coins and some notes . What he didn't have was one with the Queen of England on it . So a deal was done for an English £5 note about $7.50 so I was very happy .

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #1597
flashed

With a little more work that would be a very nice truck and the clock is too cool .Did I mention I collect clocks ,I have more clocks than wall space allows.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #1598
Grizz1963

Quote:
With a little more work that would be a very nice truck and the clock is too cool .Did I mention I collect clocks ,I have more clocks than wall space allows.

Hey Flashed...!!

Do you have one of these???

I do ....

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?9...466#post722466

Whatcha think?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #1599
flashed

No I dont have one of those ,never even seen one before .I like it very much but all my clocks are just wall hangers .
Old 11-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #1600
Grizz1963

I was asked for a Frontal photo of Rick and Monica's Haugers Ford.

Here are a few, thanks to Monica.

Plus a baby photo of Oscar the pig from when they got him.

Oscar even has his own FaceBook page.

]

Lastly, an overlay of the USA over Europe etc.

America is a big country.

That's it for tonight.