The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Hood brace

Are any of yall running hood braces? The hood on my stepside now is pretty kinked up. I just scored and new hood and don't really want the same thing to happen. I know LMC sells the kits here:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/0033.asp

Has anyone else used these? If not, are you using something else? Do any of the board vendors have something like this?

Thanks
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Hood brace

if the hood kinks up the hinges are not good they are too stiff... i had them on one truck and they looked horrendous.. once a hood is kinked they dont really help either.. Check around tho i know they are sold in a few places and LMC is not always the cheapest
JC Whitney sells em too i know for sure

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
67Cowboy
"GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!"

Lightbulb Re: Hood brace

AHH the RALPH NADER hood !!! Yes, he's the father of that brilliant piece of engineering and yes stiff hinges or just pushing in a little to hard when you close the hood for the 100th and something time will cause it to fold in half like a worn-out dollar bill. In the mid seventies a company called Earl Owens came out with some good braces, and yes they are necessary !!! After running these things for 35 years it is kind of an automatic thing when I buy another truck to put something on each side of the hood to brace it. I like something a little heavier and longer that the store bought JCWhitney type brace #ZX156129U. I usually weld something in along side the factory brace that has a gap in the center. They put it there so the hood would fold up in an accident instead of coming through the windshield and cutting your head off like those old LTD hoods did, although I've never in all my years in the bodyshop seen one Chevy with that problem. Make yourself some braces that go the length of the hood and put some Marvel Mystery Oil on those hinges and you'll be fine.
Attached Images

Last edited by 67Cowboy; 12-10-2007 at 02:21 PM.
67Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cowboy View Post
AHH the RALPH NADER hood !!! Yes, he's the father of that brilliant piece of engineering and yes stiff hinges or just pushing in a little to hard when you close the hood for the 100th and something time will cause it to fold in half like a worn-out dollar bill. In the mid seventies a company called Earl Owens came out with some good braces, and yes they are necessary !!! After running these things for 35 years it is kind of an automatic thing when I buy another truck to put something on each side of the hood to brace it. I like something a little heavier and longer that the store bought JCWhitney type brace #ZX156129U. I usually weld something in along side the factory brace that has a gap in the center. They put it there so the hood would fold up in an accident instead of coming through the windshield and cutting your head off like those old LTD hoods did, although I've never in all my years in the bodyshop seen one Chevy with that problem. Make yourself some braces that go the length of the hood and put some Marvel Mystery Oil on those hinges and you'll be fine.

Ive just keep them well lubed. But I do dred the day that the hood kinks,
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr79C10 View Post

Ive just keep them well lubed. But I do dred the day that the hood kinks,
Keep the hinges lubed and it won't kink. My 37 year old original hood hasn't kinked yet. The hinges were stiff when I got my Blazer a couple years ago, but keeping it lubed up with a little white spray grease keeps it closing easy.

One tip besides lubricating the hinges. To close the hood push the front of the hood back before pulling it down. If you got stiff hinges, you might have to do this on both sides, but it usually takes some of the tension off of the hinges so when you do pull down you don't fold the hood in half.

It's not a problem with just the trucks either. 73-77 Chevelles/Malibu's and Monte Carlos had a similar setup (with a longer hood too). It's common to see those hoods taco'd in the boneyard. I almost bent the hood on my sister's 76 Malibu when my Dad showed me how pushing back on the hood made it close easier.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

I did oil the hinges, but after I creased my current hood. Figures.

I think I might go with the JC Whitney ones. I have a gift certificate for $25 there that I've never used. Looks like I have to wait until Monday to call in my order and use the gift certificate.

Thanks for the help, fellas. As always, yall are great help.
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote