The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
red02chevy

Question what all is needed to convert a carbed truck to tbi??

I need to know everything that i would need to convert a carbed truck to a tbi set up. I have a donor suburban but I just want to make sure i pull absolutely everything needed to do the swap. thanks for any help.
red02chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: what all is needed to convert a carbed truck to tbi??

Well i assume it's not a red02chevy cuz it should allready be FI.

So i will guess it's a 73-86 you are wanting to convert.

You allready have the hardest part done and that is you have a complete donor vehicle.

Here is what you will need to do.

First remove every connector form the engine and tranny and then remove the wiring harness all the way back to the computer push the complete harness through the fire wall over on the right side of the vehicle so it won't get damaged when you remove the eng & trans.

You really don't have to mark any of the connectors b-cuz they are goof proof the only ones you may want to mark are the wiers that terminate at the starter.

Then id'e remove the eng & trans as a complete unit you may want to remove some of the accessories like the distributor and cooling fan to make it a bit easyer to remove and so they don't get damaged in the removal process.

Then you will need the entire fuel delivery system the Tank & it includes the internal mounted fuel pump & all the lines that run up to the TBI unit including the fuel filter but you may want to replace it with a new one.

I think the tank on the sub is mounted at the rear and between the frame rails so you may have to look for a saddle tank if you don't want to perform the mod's necessary to use the sub tank. but thats up to you.

You will not be able to reuse the tank and lines that are in the truck now and you will need to remove them so you can install the FI equipt tank and lines.

You will have to modify the fuel delivery lines to fit your truck cuz obviously a Suburban is much longer than a SWB or LWB truck so think it out first before you cut any of them. and plot how you will run them along the frame rail before you do this step.

You will need to remove the wiring harness for the fuel tank all the way back to where it terminates into the subs wiring.

Now is where you will really need to take your time and things will get a bit involved but if you go solw and keep focused you can do this.

You will need to follow every wire from the computer connectors to where they terminate and mark them as you remove them.

This may be alot easyer to do if you remove the front seats and maybe even the dash and insturment cluster first.

There will most likely be alot of the wiring you will not need to use in the truck but you will find that out as you go thru each wire but it's better to take them over to the truck and then remove them once you know there not needed.

Have a note pad with you and take alot of notes and draw pictures of the connectors if you have to or take pic's to refer to later.

This is alot of work but it will really pay off in the end.

Good Luck.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
rfmaster

Re: what all is needed to convert a carbed truck to tbi??

red02

This what you need (a short list):
1. Wiring Harness
2. 7747 or eqv. ECM.
3. Fuel Pump (depending on installation in tank or inline)
4. Throttle Body with 65 lb-h injectors for 350, with TPS and IAC
5. CTS sensor (Coolant Temp Sensor)
6. MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure)
7. O2 Bung
8. O2 Sensor - 4 wire AFS-75 is recommended (and relay)
9. VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) 2000 pulse per mile from JTR
10. EGR solenoid (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation)(optional)
11. KS Knock Sensor with ESC Engine Spark Control Module
12. Fuel Pump Relay
13. Power Relay
14. Check Engine Light - SES
15. TBI to Q-Jet Adapter plate (optional or TBI manifold watch for '87 and later heads!)
16. 7-Pin Distributor (non vacuum advance)
17. Fuel Lines - 3/8" supply, 5/16" for stock applications
18. time, patience and place to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfxuOOliRdg

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote