The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
doubleb's69

Heres an idea for a sweet truck build.

This is something I've always wanted to build but know that i will never have the funds, space, or time to build so I'm throwing this idea out there in hopes someone will jump on it.
I think it would be cool to build a 1970 Chevy shortbox and call it a SST/10 (Super Sport Truck). I figured I could make SST emblems out of 4 CST emblems. Give it a lowered stance from stock but not to low. I wanted to make it look like it was a production truck.
The SST/10 option package would consist of various parts that were available from GM in 1970. This would include the Corvette LT1 370 HP 350 standard with the LS6 454 as an option. The standard transmission would be the M22 4 speed with the TH400 optional. And the rear would be 12 bolt posi with a sway bar.
Interior would have buckets standard and the glove box emblem would be the 1970 Corvette engine spec emblem that would be on the console of the car. The exterior would get the lower trim only. It would also wear 15X8" corvette rallys on all four corners, with Goodyear Polyglas tires.
I think if GM would have built this in 1970 they would have sold quite a few. If I were to build this truck I would try make it look as close to factory as possible. No billet, no aftermarket parts that didn't look original, etc.
Let me know what you think, and what you would do to improve upon this dream of mine.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
hjewell2

Re: Heres an idea for a sweet truck build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleb's69 View Post
This is something I've always wanted to build but know that i will never have the funds, space, or time to build so I'm throwing this idea out there in hopes someone will jump on it.
I think it would be cool to build a 1970 Chevy shortbox and call it a SST/10 (Super Sport Truck). I figured I could make SST emblems out of 4 CST emblems. Give it a lowered stance from stock but not to low. I wanted to make it look like it was a production truck.
The SST/10 option package would consist of various parts that were available from GM in 1970. This would include the Corvette LT1 370 HP 350 standard with the LS6 454 as an option. The standard transmission would be the M22 4 speed with the TH400 optional. And the rear would be 12 bolt posi with a sway bar.
Interior would have buckets standard and the glove box emblem would be the 1970 Corvette engine spec emblem that would be on the console of the car. The exterior would get the lower trim only. It would also wear 15X8" corvette rallys on all four corners, with Goodyear Polyglas tires.
I think if GM would have built this in 1970 they would have sold quite a few. If I were to build this truck I would try make it look as close to factory as possible. No billet, no aftermarket parts that didn't look original, etc.
Let me know what you think, and what you would do to improve upon this dream of mine.
Hey I'am off to a good start I have a 1970 c/10 with a 70 LT1 and rallys.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
brad_man_72
the boat guy

chevelle mirrors, chevelle door handes, chevrolet script badge on tailgate and hood, wood rimmed vette steering wheel, houndstooth seat inserts (lowback buckets), 4-6 drop, 8"/10" or 10"/12" truck rallies, downward exit exhaust right behing rear wheels (no chrome), shave drip rails, underbed fuel cell......... I haven't put any thought into this
for me it has to be a 67 or 68, the front end and hood are so much more sporty
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Sounds good,Bud. The only thing I'd change is a Dana60 rear,since those were put under a few 1/2 ton/coil trucks. I've been searching and might just use a 3/4t one and get Mark Williams 5 on 5 axles. And don't forget the 4 wheel disc option

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Sounds like a great build.. Awhile back there was a yenko truck built but it never got finished and parted out..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
doubleb's69

All the feed back is great. Never thought of using a Dana 60 Special-K. Thats one beefy axel. I never knew that some 1/2 tons got them, I thought it was more of a mopar thing to be used in light applications. I think if someone actually did this truck it would be a pretty serious machine on the show circut (if done to look like it was bone stock). Stock being If I were going to build it the engine would at least have as many 70 LT1 externals, like a real Lt1 intake, the proper repop 780 cfm Holley, Finned valve covers, etc. When building this in my head I went as far as thinking up an advertisement and trying to figure out a way to make it fit into sales liturature and owners manuals. Not to pass it off as something real (because we all know how long that would last with the wise people on this site) but to show what if. For my own personal pleasure. I wasn't alive back then to get one of these trucks new. So I figured the next best thing would be to build one like I had all the money in the world and GM was glad to relieve me of it. Sorry for the long winded replys, this just gets my heart and mind going.

Last edited by doubleb's69; 09-10-2011 at 09:57 PM.
doubleb's69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

The 327 for my '67 project has the LT1/Z28 valve covers and a dual snorkle air cleaner. But,I have an air gap intake and Street Demon carb. The truck's vibe is a mild custom built back then. The block is the same as a '68 SS350 Camaro or Z/28 (010)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #8
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
All the feed back is great. Never thought of using a Dana 60 Special-K. Thats one beefy axel. I never knew that some 1/2 tons got them, I thought it was more of a mopar thing to be used in light applications. I think if someone actually did this truck it would be a pretty serious machine on the show circut (if done to look like it was bone stock). Stock being If I were going to build it the engine would at least have as many 70 LT1 externals, like a real Lt1 intake, the proper repop 780 cfm Holley, Finned valve covers, etc. When building this in my head I went as far as thinking up an advertisement and trying to figure out a way to make it fit into sales liturature and owners manuals. Not to pass it off as something real (because we all know how long that would last with the wise people on this site) but to show what if. For my own personal pleasure. I wasn't alive back then to get one of these trucks new. So I figured the next best thing would be to build one like I had all the money in the world and GM was glad to relieve me of it. Sorry for the long winded replys, this just gets my heart and mind going.
OK! when I win the lottery I'm comming over there and we'll build both options 350 & 454.
Great idea Bud.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
doubleb's69

Thats sounds cool Special-k. A buddy of mine did the same thing to his. He said he wanted to make it look like a truck you would see in any high school parking lot in the mid to late 70's. I will try to get some pics of it on here. I think I have one from Good Guys this summer but I didn't get the whole truck.
Well Eightbanger I will pray for you to win the lottery every night then. Same goes for if I win it, I'll wing you on over to the states and we'll build 2 mean trucks (I get the big block though if I win the money. LOL)
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

A real LS6 454 might break your bank. Does sound like a cool truck though.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
Boog
laying low

I'm diggin it.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
doubleb's69

No doubt CG. I had a chance about 8 years ago to own a complete LS6 that was sitting in the machine shop I worked at that someone walked away from or didn't pay or whatever. Long story short I passed it up and have hated that decision for years. The same would go for a LT1 being expensive as well. On Ebay there were a couple of '70 Intakes that were $599 a piece. The carb is $700. Even the dual snorkel air cleaner ($180) and valve covers ($180 a piece) are expensive. Maybe someday though.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
doubleb's69

Heres a pic of my buddies truck Special-K.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
doubleb's69

How about a functional flapper type cowl induction hood. There is currently a 72 GMC custom 1500 on des moines' craigslist that has this done. I have seen the truck at Good Guys and it looks great. Don't be fooled by the price, I think he needs the money.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
doubleb's69

I think I might sell the GMC and start the process of getting a shortbox to work with. I can't stop thinking about it so we'll see what will happen if the GMC gets sold.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #16
edhtrd71

Love the idea. Makeing it look like it came that way factory sounds awesome. Hope you get to do it.
edhtrd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #17
TrkEnvy

Quote:
Heres a pic of my buddies truck Special-K.
Not to hijack, but what is that color called??
TrkEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
68Stepbed

I've always wanted to do something similar, but something I would LOVE to build is a "COPO" truck. Just imagine a 69 Chevy truck, but the factory used a 68 front clip for the COPO only option. all aluminum 427, 4speed muncie, 4 wheel discs hidden behind body colored plain steel wheels with dog dish poverty caps, GoodYear Polyglass redline tires, lowered just a tad(2" all around) for the subtle look, 2" cowl induction hood.

And of course, since the COPO cars were plain jane looking versions, it would have to be a stepside, since they were the base models, in most cases.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Hey .sorry I missed that friend's truck you posted.That's a great look! I always called it the "hybrid"look because it's all Chevy,just some hand picked upgrades that weren't offered on a truck from other Chevys of the same era...like wheels,steering wheels,etc. The same things that set a sport model from a family car of the same body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
I've always wanted to do something similar, but something I would LOVE to build is a "COPO" truck. Just imagine a 69 Chevy truck, but the factory used a 68 front clip for the COPO only option. all aluminum 427, 4speed muncie, 4 wheel discs hidden behind body colored plain steel wheels with dog dish poverty caps, GoodYear Polyglass redline tires, lowered just a tad(2" all around) for the subtle look, 2" cowl induction hood.

And of course, since the COPO cars were plain jane looking versions, it would have to be a stepside, since they were the base models, in most cases.
BINGO!!

Tim

Old 10-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #20
doubleb's69

Well I have an update for the thread followers. I SOLD the GMC! And just as fate would have it I was able to pick up a 1972 short box complete rolling chassis just hours after getting cash in hand for the 68. It came with rust free inner fender wells, as well as boxes upon boxes of parts that were labeled with all of the nuts and bolts in very well labeled baggies. It also has 8" truck ralleys on it, and it came with big block engine perches, not that that matters because I will be using a small block. I also got the title and vin plate. The po said that the cab was way to far gone so he scrapped it. Here are some pics.

So I think project SST/10 will now slowly start to come to life.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #21
doubleb's69

Also It has solid rust free trailing arms. The only thing wrong with it is someone once fixed the drivers front upper shock mount as it must have cracked, but it looks like they did a pretty good job. The truck is from North Carolina and hasn't been in Iowa to long. The guy bought it to do a resto on but got a 67 Camaro instead and ended up parting the truck out. A guy from Indiana (possibly a member) got the short box which was very solid. I saw it on friday when I looked at the frame. I bought the frame for $400 which I thought was a steal with all of the extra parts and rust free stuff.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #22
doubleb's69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrkEnvy View Post
Not to hijack, but what is that color called??
The color is supposed to be factory Medium Olive Mettalic, but I think it is a little lighter.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #23
dbstepside

i like that idea it should be a cool truck. keep us posted.
dbstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #24
doubleb's69

Quote:

That sounds awesome as well I have the poverty caps in the garage. I have 5 of them. Got them for $40. they all need work around the edges, but are good drivers. And really how hard would it have been for GM to build anything suggested on this thread back in the day?
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #25
wild4wheels

Quote:

That is so weird, after the original post started, I had this same conversation w/ my brother. "Why not do a COPO?" I used this members truck as a reference (hope he or she doesn't mind me posting their truck here but I DIG this truck!).. paint the wheels body color ...
Attached Images

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote