The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
cumminschevy

New Electrical connectors

Hello everyone, I need a little help! I am making a wiring harness from scratch for my 72 k20. I have been trying to locate some new electrical connectors for some of the vehicle-specific connectors (ie. ignition switch, wiper switch, wiper motor, headlight harness pass through at core support, etc). I'm looking for new connectors or at least new terminals to go into the connectors. I don't want to take 'good used' connectors and solder or butt-connect my new wires to them. I want a nice clean look. also i can't just buy new oem or painless style harness due to the custom job I am doing. Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this, and double thanks to anyone who can help me! Thanks everyone
cumminschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
Livrat
Member #1049

Re: New Electrical connectors

The connectors you are talking about are "Packard 56" series terminals
Most terminals throughout the truck are "56"s, but the headlights are "59"s

Take a peek here
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Auto...Connectors.htm

I get mine from one or more of the following:
http://www.pcsconnectors.com/packard56.aspx
http://happyterminals.com/index.php?...mi38cbi8364vm1
http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/De...228#Categories
http://texasindustrialelectric.com/_..._terminals.asp

Last edited by Livrat; 12-21-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

LIVRAT is correct- "Packard 56" terminals are the ones to use. For the plastic terminal housings for headlights, ignition, wiper motor etc.... check out the link below- looks like they have alot of those dooey-bobs for your custom wiring project.

http://www.repairconnector.com/
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
mrein3

Better yet, go to your local NAPA and order a bunch of part number 725147. This is the female packard type 56 connector used in quite a few of the connections on this vintage of GM vehicles. I use them all the time in both my truck and my Chevelles. The male connector is part number 725145. You'll need way more female ones than male ones as most "plugs" at the end of the wire need to slip over a male spade connector.

I keep a number of each in my box of electrical stuff so when I need one I don't have to drive down to NAPA.

The plastic plugs the wires clip in to are usually reusable with a few exceptions. The fan switch on an AC controller gets hot and melts as does ignition switches. For those plastic pieces I usually just order them from LMC. The LMC ignition plug comes with pig tails but you can just depress the little tang on the type 56 connector, slip it out, and replace it with your repaired wire.

I hope this helps.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
WAAF
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Better yet, go to your local NAPA and order a bunch of part number 725147. This is the female packard type 56 connector used in quite a few of the connections on this vintage of GM vehicles. I use them all the time in both my truck and my Chevelles. The male connector is part number 725145. You'll need way more female ones than male ones as most "plugs" at the end of the wire need to slip over a male spade connector.

I keep a number of each in my box of electrical stuff so when I need one I don't have to drive down to NAPA.

The plastic plugs the wires clip in to are usually reusable with a few exceptions. The fan switch on an AC controller gets hot and melts as does ignition switches. For those plastic pieces I usually just order them from LMC. The LMC ignition plug comes with pig tails but you can just depress the little tang on the type 56 connector, slip it out, and replace it with your repaired wire.

I hope this helps.
nice part #..
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post

I hope this helps.
Good advice.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
cumminschevy

You guys are GREAT!! those spade names and part numbers just saved me a lot of headaches. some great ideas and links. everyone has been a great help. Thanks again
cumminschevy is offline   Reply With Quote