The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Cue-Ball

New guy with an '80 SWB.

Hey, everyone. I've been lurking around this board for a month or so as I was searching for a truck. I finally bought one, so I figured I'd join the forum and introduce myself (and, of course, show off my new toy).

Bought this 1980 Chevy on Saturday for $2800. It's not perfect, but it's in really good shape overall. Mostly, I wanted to make sure I bought a reliable truck that would get me to work and back without worry. This definitely fits the bill. The truck is a V8, automatic, short bed, fleetside, with no A/C and a single fuel tank. This is exactly what I was looking for, since I prefer simplicity and have a "less is more" attitude towards my vehicles. Here's what she looked like when I brought her home on Saturday:

The driver's door has a dent in it from a Home Depot rolling cart (you can see it in the first pic). There's a tiny dent on the roof and the paint is getting thin, especially on the hood. Otherwise, it's in very nice shape. It's never been wrecked, there's virtually no rust, and everything looks pretty straight.

The maroon (red) interior looks to be almost completely stock. When I bought the truck it had a seatcover installed, but otherwise it's mostly untouched. The headliner is in great condition, visors, gauges, etc. The dash has two cracks, but is far better than any other truck that I looked at. The carpet has a hole on the driver's side, but still looks pretty decent. And the truck has tilt and gauges, not idiot lights (no clock or tach though). One thing that the owner did add, which is really nice, is a variable delay on the wipers. The box stuck to the dash isn't particularly attractive, but it works fantastic.

The previous owner had installed some compartments in the bed. They're covered in ugly 70's shag carpet, but the design is actually pretty cool. The compartments on the side hold stuff in front of and behind the wheel wells, while the center pieces can be moved up into a track on top of the side pieces. This basically creates a completely flat raised floor the height of the wheel wells, with a big storage area underneath. The idea is that you can go camping, store all your gear in the "tunnel" between the wheel wells and in the storage compartments, while still having a totally flat area to use as a bed. Pretty ingenious, really. But still ugly.

The truck was originally a 250 6-cylinder with a TH350, but the previous owner installed a 305 crate engine about 47,000 miles ago, and replaced the TH350 with a remanufactured trans. The engine bay was tidy, but dirty, and the cheap air cleaner had begun to rust. I hosed everything off real well and replaced the air cleaner with a spare I had sitting in the garage. It could still use some paint, but it's good enough for now. The original jack was behind the seat when I bought the truck, so I put it back on the fender where it belongs.

I removed everything from the bed and was greeted with nearly perfect sheetmetal. Dent free and barely even scratched. The only issue is some rust at the front edge of the bed that will need addressed.

I'd like to remove the canopy, but I don't really have the room to store it and, as much as it rains here, it would come in really handy for keeping cargo dry. So, I'm torn. I hate the looks and how much it limits visibility, but it's useful and I don't want to get rid of it permanently. For now it's gonna have to stay.

I cleaned up the interior a bit and removed the seat cover. Underneath is the original upholstery in very nice condition. The driver's side is worn a little on the edges, but there are no rips or stains. I'm not crazy about the velour, but it's stock and in good condition, so I'll keep it for now.

I wasted no time removing stuff from the truck once I got it home. The first thing to go was the bug deflector. Second was the cheap, rusty fog lights that the PO had installed. Getting rid of both cleaned up the front end very nicely.

I'm the third owner of this truck, but the previous owner bought it barely used, with only 5,000 miles on it, and kept it for the last 30 years. So, it's essentially been a single owner vehicle for 99% of it's life. He gave me a stack of paperwork with the truck, including the original owner's manual and documentation, build sheet, tons of receipts and hand written notes, etc.

For now I plan on just driving and enjoying the truck, and not doing anything too crazy with it. I've already got one project car and don't want to start another. Plus, I need to be able to depend on the truck when the weather is too crappy to ride my motorcycle to work. However, I do plan on doing small stuff here and there to make it nicer without ruining the utility of the vehicle or putting it out of commission for more than a weekend at a time. So, for the foreseeable future I'll just be doing little stuff like aligning the driver's door, painting the engine bay, lubing hinges, etc.

The first big job that needs addressing is the handling. This thing is a turd in the corners. I crawled under the front last night and it looks like it came from the factory without a front anti-roll bar. That needs addressed right away, because as it sits now you practically roll to the other side of the truck when making turns. I'm not going to make it an autocross attack vehicle, but it needs to handle better than my parents' Winnebago.

It's going to remain a utility vehicle, so it won't be getting slammed to the ground and I won't be putting on 20" wheels (sorry, lowrider fans). I've already got one lowered vehicle and don't want to have to crawl over speed bumps in this thing. However, I'm open to possibly lowering it a couple of inches front and rear. Just nothing too drastic. I want to retain a stock-ish look.

The interior doesn't NEED any work, but I would like to replace the door panels. They're plastic one-piece units that look and feel cheap. I'd like to dress it up a little bit and make it feel factory fresh inside.

I actually like the 1980 front end the least of all the years of these trucks. Figures that's what I'd end up with. So, I'm considering changing to the earlier, round headlight front end. But that's far in the future, since there's nothing wrong with what's on there now, and it's actually in really good shape other than a little rust pitting near the headlights. Also, the whole truck will need bodywork and paint. But, again, that's going to be far in the future. I've already got one car in paint jail, and can't afford to have a second one there too. So, maybe in a year or two I can start worrying about bodywork and paint.

Last edited by Cue-Ball; 09-27-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: better picture of the front end.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
JuicyJ

Re: New guy with an '80 SWB.

Welcome aboard the best squarebody site on the net. That is a steal for 2800. Good looking truck.
JuicyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Very clean truck you got there... I'm with you about not doing too much to it.... thing looks great just like it is.... !

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

thats really nice.... im thinking we will have to nominate you soon for our TOTM contest

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
30BuckTruck

Welcome, very nice clean truck!
30BuckTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Pop's C-10

welcome..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Cue-Ball

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I think I did pretty well with this purchase. I'd been watching Craigslist for a while now, and looked at probably a half dozen trucks before I found this one. All of the other ones I looked at were cheaper, but they were also falling apart. And I was pretty picky about getting a shortbox with an automatic, which narrowed down my options significantly. The previous owner obviously took great care of the truck and cared for it well, so I'm glad to give it a good home. I'll drive it and enjoy it for a while, as I slowly fix it up a bit at a time.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
3r!c84
Badass

loose the shell and its a very nice truck!

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
Davidmichael

welcome and great score on the truck.
81 8 foot bed made into a trailer
86 Suburban going to be made into a trailer
91 Suburban 4x4 = that's my baby
00 S10 Xtreme STD Cab
01 S10 ZR2
Davidmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
6772fan

Well bought and nice ride. Gotta love those SWB trucks and welcome to the board.

1979 Chevy SWB- (Second owner- Father in Law was first)

1979 Chevy Silverado SWB-Red/Red
6772fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
menace121978

very nice truck bud!! and welcome

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
slugish
Slugish

you definitely are going in the right direction with your truck> nice find ! congrats
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
lilpoindexter

Just lower it 5 inches, and you will be set!
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #14
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Welcome to the best Board on the 'net from sunny SoCal. Really like your new ride. Remember, sometimes less is more....
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote