The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Scot_Douglas

1966 C10 in Michigan

Hello!

My wife had been wanting another single cab truck - she's had a ranger and a dakota before and misses them. I had an idea to look for an old truck we could restore together - and we found one.

1966 C-10
283, 4-spd, 39K, 139K, 239K???

It spent the first 40 years around SLC, Utah and the last few in Michigan. I had wanted to drop a modern aluminum 5.3 in it, however, my wife likes the old engine and the stinky exhaust - says it reminds her of her Dad's Volga when she grew up in Moscow.

This winter (providing I can clear enough space in the garage) the project list is:
Replacing the brakes for something that is dual circuit and at least discs on the front. I found a spendy kit online for about $1500, but it has to be able to be done cheaper...
Changing out all the suspension bushings / BJ's / TRE's for new, modern units.
New springs and shocks F&R - want to lower it about 3" total.
Sway bars.
Power steering - if only to reduce the number of turns lock to lock.
New wiring harness.
New bed floor.
Repair largest rust areas - doors/rockers/cab supports
...and any misc thing that comes along. lol

I'm hoping to find a reasonable deal on a pair of rustfree doors and tailgate when I visit my parents in AR this Christmas - that'll save plenty of work.

As far as the engine, it looks like it will stay carbureted - but I'd like more torque than the lil 283 can provide. I like it (used to prefer 289's back in the day) but I'd like to be around 400lbft of torque (and not at 4000 rpm, lol ) so I'm thinking of a 400 SBC that I can make look authentic under the hood to keep appearances up.

I have stayed away from modifying vehicles as I got older, I just seem to lose control when I work on anything - and I fear for my wallet.

If anyone has info, opinions or comments they would like to share, PLEASE - do so!!!

A bit of background - both my wife and I work for GM in Milford Michigan. She is an engine calibrator for the Ecotec 4-cylinder programs and I work in advanced engineering on potential production programs. I turned wrenches and ran a durability dyno to put myself through school, so I'm pretty handy. I also am not above admitting I'm wrong or learning new things from people - I tend to ask lots of questions and try to weigh every option.

I also am very laid back, have a silly sense of humor and have many years of internet forum interaction under my belt - in other words, don't worry about offending me! (Just remember, if you poke fun, I'll poke fun back - and it will never be ill-willed)

Looking forward to learning!

Scot
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: 1966 C10 in Michigan

Welcome Scot. Sounds like we're gonna be asking you a bunch of questions considering your background.
Remember, we like pictures. So keep us updated.
And again, welcome. Always good to have another 60-66 guy here.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Scot_Douglas

Bill - a few things:

Most importantly:
THANK YOU FOR SERVING!

Second of all - I am ALWAYS happy to try to help out and share information if I can.

Looks like I have a line on a rebuilt "377" on the cheap - just need to decide if that's the "character" I want for the engine in the truck. Would make an excellent sleeper when someone tries to pass me on the right when their lane ends (like some moron demonstrated to me last night )

Nice to make your acquaintance!

Scot
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Welcome to the board from Texas
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote