The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
chevytruck1970

Battery question

My 12 year old duralast gold battery is getting weak and leaking acid. I'm thinking about replacing it with a optima red top. What are you guys running for a battery in your trucks? Any input is appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
6.13@111mph 1/8 mile
9.80@131mph 1/4 mile
434 small block all motor
chevytruck1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Battery question

I got really lucky with my last set of Optima yellow tops in my Super Gas car...they lasted 8+ years, but I was very vigilant about keep them charged. I never had much luck with the red tops. I run Deka/East Penn batteries in my daily drivers.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Myself I've had decent luck with the Optima red tops (about 4-5 years) in the race cars, but I keep them on Deltran battery tenders and run alternators.

One caveat,,, I had HUGE problem in that AGM batteries do not take a high amp charge. Apparently they can only take 'so much' even if the voltage is down. Your alternator gets confused. The voltage is down so the alternator is trying to throw all kinds of juice at it. The battery can only accept a low flow rate. Result is the smoke leaks out of cheep components. I toasted 3 Powermaster 145amp alternators before I learned that the AGM (Optima) batteries and high amp alternators do not play well together.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
chevytruck1970

I also run a alternator it's a 100 amp powermaster
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
6.13@111mph 1/8 mile
9.80@131mph 1/4 mile
434 small block all motor
chevytruck1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
ProStreet68SB
The Engine Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Myself I've had decent luck with the Optima red tops (about 4-5 years) in the race cars, but I keep them on Deltran battery tenders and run alternators.

One caveat,,, I had HUGE problem in that AGM batteries do not take a high amp charge. Apparently they can only take 'so much' even if the voltage is down. Your alternator gets confused. The voltage is down so the alternator is trying to throw all kinds of juice at it. The battery can only accept a low flow rate. Result is the smoke leaks out of cheep components. I toasted 3 Powermaster 145amp alternators before I learned that the AGM (Optima) batteries and high amp alternators do not play well together.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on that. After playing around in the SPL side of the Audio world, We normally run AGMs (multiples) and very common to run 1 or more 300+amp alternator.
ProStreet68SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreet68SB View Post
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on that. After playing around in the SPL side of the Audio world, We normally run AGMs (multiples) and very common to run 1 or more 300+amp alternator.
I would have to agree, although optima's aren't exactly looked upon favorably in the audio world. I've read other issues with charging optimas so it may be something particular to that battery/brand.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

interstate for me

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreet68SB View Post
Prostreet, and also in utmost respect. Intelligent men can agree to disagree and still respect the others opinions. I appreciate your's and your experience and expertise here without a doubt!

I myself have never had a 300amp alternator so the internals there are probably a LOT better than the Powermaster junk I was using and was the sole basis of my experience with them! In retrospect, basing my opinion on the Powermaster junk may have been biased. BUT.. After toasting 3 of the $300 billet Powermaster 150 amp alternators, I took 2 of them to a alternator shop in Phoenix because Babcock ws charging me $170 + $40 in shipping to rebuild them when they didn't last 6 months (but more than his 90 days) The windings were totally fried. First words out of the local rebuilder's mouth were "your using an Optima battery arent you?" He said he will rebuild them and replace the crap regulators/parts Powermaster uses, but will ONLY guarentee them if I get rid of the Optima battery. I asked WHY!!!! His simple response was "why do you think all decent battery chargers have a switch for AMG batteries" ... "The same reason why Optima's new $200 superduper charger only puts out 12 amps"

Now is this guy an expert,, I sincerely doubt it! He just has one small alternator shop in Phoenix. But if you would like to buy 2 BillitSpecialities / Powermaster polished 150 amp alternators that havbe been rebuilt with quality parts,, I'm willing to sell my 2 spares now that I have replaced the Optima in that car with a Interstate regular ol battery and going on almost 2 years now with no failure.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote