The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #1
CaptainMorgan_SOS

Getting back into it. (Pic heavy)

Just picked up this project over the weekend. I had a '71 longbed heavy half with cab lights back in high school and just now got back into the mood to find another C-10 to work on. Drove to College Station, TX to get it. After that, drove it up to see some family around northern Oklahoma, stayed for a few days, and then drove it home to southern New Mexico. So all in, drove it over 1,200 miles within a couple days; I'd say that counts as a good shakedown run. The only trouble I had was the radiator blew the same day we got to the in-law's house (quick and easy replacement) and then within 5 miles of home it developed a hell of a shimmy and shake. Got to looking at it and one of the brand new tires (less than 50 miles on it before I bought the truck) developed a HUGE bubble in the tread area. And, of course, the warranty for the tires (Mastercraft) is non-transferable; so that was a HUGE bummer and I can't drive the truck until I get the tire replaced

So here's some info about the truck:
1967 GMC C-10 Shortbed, originally a straight 6, 4 speed truck
- I thought it was interesting that it had leaf springs from the factory in the rear (and somewhat disappointing; was thinking about doing air ride). I had been talking to the guy about it for a while and never asked about that because I thought all the C-10s came with coils on the rear; now I know that they didn't.
- 350 with Vortec heads, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650, and some long tube headers.
- Recently rebuilt NV4500 5 speed trans and 3.55 gears. Also have a set of 3.73s; haven't decided if I'll throw those in or not. This thing cruises great at 75!
- Gas tank relocated to the bed. Cab patch panel needs some work.
- Pretty straight body. Some dings around the top of the cab and a few dings in the bed. Front fenders are pretty bad. Inner and outer rocker panels are not doing too well. Needs passenger side cab corner replaced. Also, for some odd reason, one of the previous owners filled the hole for the antenna on the passenger side of the cowl and drilled a new one in the driver side... not sure why they did, but I'll be reversing that back.
- And it has buddy buckets; huge plus for me.
- No power steering, no brakse, no AC, no heater, no radio.

Stopped by Green's Restoration in Cameron, TX and picked up quite a few parts. So I have both front fenders, both inner fender skirts (it currently isn't running any), both inner rocker panels with an extended floor section on them, both outer rockers, passenger side cab corner, and the passenger side front and rear cab supports.

Planning on sorting out the suspension and drive train (tighten everything up, refresh/replace a few things) in order to get it running and driving well. Then I'll move on to the bodywork look at adding power steering, power brakes, a heater, radio, and possibly AC. I'll finish it off with the interior. Thinking about a light robin's egg blue or blue/green kind of color with saddle brown interior soft parts, and powder coating the wheels a cream color. Basically trying to make a good looking highway cruiser out of it for the moment and then add some air ride to it later. I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to bodywork. Here is how it sits right now:

One of the kiddos checking it out.

At Green's starting to get some of the parts together. Other kiddo also playing in it; it makes a great play pen.

Right after we fixed the radiator.

This is the gauge cluster that came with it. I'm not a huge fan of it and may be looking to sell or trade it off for an original looking one with a tach and clock.

Little lady playing again. But you can see here that the seats need some work. Also has carpet in it that matches the seat. The carpet hides the riveted on patch panels on the floor at the edge of the door... I also replaced the go cart steering wheel in this pic with a proper sized used one for the time being.

I love this thing haha. Need to do something to clean up the base of it though so it isn't just open.

Getting ready to load it up and head back to NM.

Finally home. Anyone want a Harley? Thinking of selling it to help fund the truck; the bike just doesn't get used enough anymore.

Here's the weird bubble that developed in the driver side rear tire 5 miles from home. Looks much bigger in person.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for looking.
CaptainMorgan_SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:58 AM   #2
68bowtie

Re: Getting back into it. (Pic heavy)

cool truck. reminds me a lot of mine. i have some youngsters too, it's fun when they crawl all over the trucks.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote