The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
69gumby

Weatherstrip Replacement

Hey all!
Thanks for such a great site. My 69 is my after work and weekend driver. I can't wait to get out of the Pontic and drive my old truck. This said it's a rolling restoration, I don't want to have her down any longer than I have to.
I am working on replacing all of the window and door weatherstripping. I would like to know what cement to use and also of any hints that will make the job easier?
I have new crome vent windows I will be puting in at the same time I redo each door. Any hints to help in swapping those out?
Attached Images

Last edited by 69gumby; 01-29-2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: bad grammar
69gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
1971ChevyTruck

Re: Weatherstrip Replacement

I am going to take on the same project next week...I'll keep you posted if I figure out any tricks--usually I'll figure out what not to do....
1971ChevyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The wing windows are a bit tricky if you've never done them.The FAQ's section has a great write up that I could not match here.Since you are using the new wing window set-up the channel is done for you.The rest of it is pretty straightforward.I used the yellow Weatherstrip adhesive to keep the door weatherstrip in place and a couple small dabs on the window channel did the trick.
Hope this helps some.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
69gumby

Many thanks! Keep me posted on your project 1971chevytruck. I'll do the same if I get into it first. I'm working outside at the moment and it's been raining for a week. PanelDeland, is that the 3M stuff or does it matter, also is it a contact cement?
69gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I used the 3 M but I'm sure there are others.

Read this for more help.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a.../t-157539.html
Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
dan42

I did one wind wing so far and it's a PITA, so be warned.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
69gumby

Went out and cleaned out the old fuzzies. Laid in the new ones, still need to get cement. This is sure going to be nice when all this gets installed. Smooth operation and no rattles.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #8
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gumby View Post
Hey all!
Thanks for such a great site. My 69 is my after work and weekend driver. I can't wait to get out of the Pontic and drive my old truck. This said it's a rolling restoration, I don't want to have her down any longer than I have to.
I am working on replacing all of the window and door weatherstripping. I would like to know what cement to use and also of any hints that will make the job easier?
I have new crome vent windows I will be puting in at the same time I redo each door. Any hints to help in swapping those out?
Hey 69gumby,

looks like you have a great start on making the job easier....several cold MGD makes any job easier!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
69gumby

O.K. I have the right cement, I picked up 3M black #08011. That's some strong cement as you'll find out when you try getting it off your fingers. I figured if I messed up the black wouldn't show as much as the yellow. Other than that I used a razor blade, needle nose pliers, a wire brush, a 1/2" chisel, some thinner and a beer. I Used the chisel to clean the old glue from the bottom of the channel and the razor blade to cut down each side. Anyway here's photos. If it would only quit raining I get to work on the rest of the weatherstripping.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
69gumby

Re: Weatherstrip Replacement IT'S DONE!!

Yes, I have finished the project. There are few things finer than new weatherstriping. When you cruse down the road and all of the rattles and wind noise are gone you won't care about all of the cussing and and cleaning you just had to do.
I have put in a few pics that show the project. Be sure to pick up a can of
3M #08984 glue remover. You still have to work at it a little but this stuff didn't hurt the paint. Laqucer thinner hurt the paint and other thinners didn't do the trick.
I cut up some spacers to help keep the rubber from touching until the glue was set, and some blue painters tape to hold thing in place.These were a big help.
When you're going to remove the wing window and the window weatherstriping be sure to mask all around the window opening. You will hit the paint with something so cover it first!
Other than that I hope you are as happy with the result as I am with mine and THANKS to those that got me on my way.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
Premium72

yeah the tape trick is a good one. its what i did when i did mine a few months back. i did that then closed the door to keep good pressure an contact on the rubber to the door frame. the vent window restore is in the top 5 hardest things to do on these trucks..haha. its so meticulous , to take out the old rubber and re revit it in, then the rivet in the vnet window. then after all that you gata put the bastards back in with out scribing your name in the paint you just worked so hard to lay down smooth an sand an polish..geez.. haha. BUT. like you said. after all the screaming an yelling is over. this is one of the things that makes a old truck seem new. its all the little details that add up that make it worth the time money and effort.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Try spraying the new felt with some spray silicone lube.I think you will like the results.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Try spraying the new felt with some spray silicone lube.I think you will like the results.
Gotta try that, but first I gotta get my windows in. Thanks for the tip...

Nice work 69 Gumby, I did my window channel, but not ready to tackle the vent rubber, looks like a tuff job

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 02-09-2008 at 08:08 AM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote