The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
impalaboy9

I'm an Idiot not an Electrician

Sorry guys this is gonna be a tough question and I wish I new more about the problem than I do. So when I got my 65 the p/o put in a tilt column and did a nice job problem is the wiring was one holy mess. I did a decent job getting the ignition spliced back in and some misc. stuff working but I am stuck now. First problem is I don't know what the tilt is out of. Secondly the wiring diagram I have been working off of that has been great the colors aren't matching up anymore and I can hardly do straightforward wiring let alone "custom" So here is the deal the connector for the tilt is long and flat and has wires from left to right, as I look at it, black, pink w/white, brown, black w/blue stripe, drk blue, tan, lt blue, black w/yellow stripe, green, black w/white stripe. Then there is a separate small conector with black blue and gray wires bunched real tight together in one strand.

Now the stock wiring that I believe hooks up the tail lights blinkers and such is the "1/2 moon" connector or semi round if you will. The top row has from left to right, as I look at it, green, lt blue, drk blue, black and the bottom left to right is yellow, white and purple.

If anyone can tell me what the heck these wires do or how to make the two systems go together I would be forever indebted. I would like to make the blinkers and brakes work, flashers if possible.

And for the bonus round I only have one speed on my blower motor and that is high. Is that normal? The yellow orange and blue wires that I assume would run the resistors to slow the motor down seem to always be hot. Sorry again for these brain buster questions.
impalaboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
pmkrew

Re: I'm an Idiot not an Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalaboy9 View Post
Sorry guys this is gonna be a tough question and I wish I new more about the problem than I do. So when I got my 65 the p/o put in a tilt column and did a nice job problem is the wiring was one holy mess. I did a decent job getting the ignition spliced back in and some misc. stuff working but I am stuck now. First problem is I don't know what the tilt is out of. Secondly the wiring diagram I have been working off of that has been great the colors aren't matching up anymore and I can hardly do straightforward wiring let alone "custom" So here is the deal the connector for the tilt is long and flat and has wires from left to right, as I look at it, black, pink w/white, brown, black w/blue stripe, drk blue, tan, lt blue, black w/yellow stripe, green, black w/white stripe. Then there is a separate small conector with black blue and gray wires bunched real tight together in one strand.

Now the stock wiring that I believe hooks up the tail lights blinkers and such is the "1/2 moon" connector or semi round if you will. The top row has from left to right, as I look at it, green, lt blue, drk blue, black and the bottom left to right is yellow, white and purple.

If anyone can tell me what the heck these wires do or how to make the two systems go together I would be forever indebted. I would like to make the blinkers and brakes work, flashers if possible.

And for the bonus round I only have one speed on my blower motor and that is high. Is that normal? The yellow orange and blue wires that I assume would run the resistors to slow the motor down seem to always be hot. Sorry again for these brain buster questions.
Any way to take a picture of the harness connectors? that will help.
Sounds like you possibly have an issue with the blower resistor.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=35
pmkrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Sounds to me that the column is from the 70's-80's and the curved connector is original to the harness.

These are the turn signal connections for sure; I do remember the black is for the horn!!
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

impalaboy, I've been doing much the same thing for the last week or so in my '48 coupe. I have 2 columns, both out of 70's model GMs. the wire colors you describe on the column are slightly different but maybe can be matched up. The colors on the original curved piece do jibe with what I have on my tilt columns: on my tilt columns the white wire is feed in from the brake switch, the yellow and green are turn/brake (L & R respectively) out, purple is feed in from the flasher, the two blues (I don't remember which is L & R at the moment) are feed out to the front turn signals, the brown (on the tilt column)is front parking. I don't remember, again, what the black is for right at the moment.

see if this helps:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...chmentid=46929

coupled with this:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324713

ps: Lincoln is my home town, miss my family but you can keep the weather.

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 01-21-2011 at 11:37 PM.
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
impalaboy9

Thanks for the help. I'm still struggling but I will try to get some stuff ironed out today and will post any updates. Fleetsidelarry this winter is nothing compared to last year, that was miserable I'm 6'4" and the drifts at my parents were taller than me, a maintainer got stuck outside our front door pretty funny stuff till it came time to shovel out! I like the winter but I wish my truck were running so I could get around easier.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
1restorick

If you are trying to adapt from the old plug to the newer,this adapter could be used:

http://www.bobschevytrucks.com/1967-...ess-36878.html
1restorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
gimmy 64

american autowire has an adapter that will put all these wires in the right spot---$35 bought one for ididit column. everything hooked up and working in 5 minutes
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
impalaboy9

Thanks I didn't realize they even made those adaptors