The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Joe Z

Emmision Bypassing?

I have a 1981 Chevy c10 with a 4.1 liter in line six and a three speed overdrive standard shift and California emissions but I live in pa.

I started rebuilding the truck but it started running rough a while before I started. So I figured this is the time to get it all squared away

The carburetor has been rebuilt and I replaced a number of vacume lines but it still has hit n' miss days. I think that the old emission components are just wore out however there are some that I can't buy or get rebuilt so I would rather bypass the whole system and just use a manual choke. Unfortunately I don't know what to and not to bypass.

Has anyone done this with this kind of truck before and or have any suggestions?
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Emmision Bypassing?

Before doing anything, find out what if any, emissions PA requires a 81 PU of your truck's GVWR to have. It would suck if you yank everything off just to get a ticket for improper equipment. If PA doesn't care, and your truck isn't computer controlled, you should be able to remove everything. I would recommend leaving the PVC system. If you have the charcoal canister and that plumbing is still good, leave that as well.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
franken

Its not likely to bite you, but be aware that federal law says you can't remove emission controls regardless of if its a CA truck in PA or not.
If the law decides to look, you could get burned.
The lower performance is more due to lower compression, tune, and parts not working than the actual smog equipment.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Joe Z

I can care less about the legality of the emissions system. Pa only looks to see if have a cat and if the gas cap is functional. My main concern is that everything is hooked up to vacume lines including the distributer. I'm not sure how well the truck will run if I remove everything and if there is a proper way to bypass the system without all the guess and check.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote