The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
chevybill

Question Please help with water pump for a vortec engine.

I need some information for a water pump for a vortec engine.

As you know they use a counterclockwise (reverse) water pump.
Is there a water pump for these engines that turns clockwise like the old V belt pumps on the old sbc?

I have a vortec engine to put in my truck and I am trying to get all the pieces together for the water pump, alternator and a /c brackets etc.

I do not have or want power steering, so I have not found a serpentine setup without power steering.

So what do I need to do try to get a serpentine setup for an original water pump?-Then try to find an idler pulley to go in place of the power steering?

Or do some of you have a part number for a vortec pump that will run with a V belt like the old sbc motors?

Thanks for your suggestions.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
OhioDan

Re: Please help with water pump for a vortec engine.

The serpentine belt is why you will have to run a anti-clockwise water pump. If you'd go with v-belts, you could use a regular water pump. Is that what you want to know?

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
john
member #16

How about a idler pulley? if they all have P.S. you could make a bracket to fit in place of P.S. pump. John
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
bubba72

hey bill
im running a 98 vortec. i got on ebay, brackets off a mid 80s monte carlo.i had to got long water pump. and the guy put in the box the pulleys and belts off the motor.so i have serpentine on the crank,water pump and alt. dont know this info will help. i also am not running power sterring

Last edited by bubba72; 12-17-2005 at 12:08 AM.
bubba72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:52 PM   #5
chevybill

thanks so much for the replies, everybody.

i called summit and they said either their universal long or short pump should work on my engine. i have the long pump for clearance for the stock vortec timing cover. My concern was the hole below the bolt hole on the side of the pump that the radiator hose attaches to. That hole goes into the pump cavity. I thought the pump would leak or pump fluid out between the pump and the block - because the vortec has no corresponding hole in the block to match up with this hole in the pump. I called their tech line and the guy went and got a pump to look at and he said the pump would work with my engine and not leak. So I hope I am good to go.
Pump is part number sum30016 i think- summit's high flow long pump. By the way it has another part number on it ph377 i think.

Again thanks for the replies, I have no brackets yet.
Looking at www.alangrovecomponents.com for pulleys and an alternator bracket. Then later a/c from vintage or old air.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote