The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
crakarjax

Mounting a Square-Bore Carb (Edelbrock) on "hot slot" manifold

So I'm rebuilding the carb that came with my truck, a Carter AFB, probably 600CFM. I pulled it off and the first problem was the spacer. It uses this kind:
http://goodies-speedshop.com/i-15188...on-system.html
Which is a spread-to-square adapter, upside down! Will this work? The fact that the gasket on bottom was not cut to match the adapter tipped me off.

But the real purpose of this thread is that upon researching about the adapter I came across this post:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...d-problem.html

Which basically says that my manifold (stock '68) will pretty much destroy my carb. The "hot box" port was totally clogged so I cleaned it out. That clog was probably saving the carb. Has anyone plugged these? What do I need in order to do so?

Should I save my dinero and keep the upside-down adapter or get one like this:
Four-Hole Square-Bore to Spread-Bore Carburetor... Four-Hole Square-Bore to Spread-Bore Carburetor...
Many thanks in advance! I am hoping to have this truck running tomorrow, but it seems like I keep running into "WTF who did that" moments.

Last edited by crakarjax; 02-26-2010 at 12:34 AM.
crakarjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
crakarjax

Re: Mounting a Square-Bore Carb (Edelbrock) on "hot slot" manifold

ttt... going on a parts run at 1pm, so if this isn't answered by then I'm sticking with the upside-down adapter, looking for a tap, and plugging those holes with 7/16" oil galley plugs!

I was thinking about it, and that adapter would kind of act like a spacer, right? And spacers are supposed to give you more low-end torque? Also that spacer should add a buffer between the hot slot and carb, keeping it a bit cooler than otherwise.

Last edited by crakarjax; 02-26-2010 at 10:35 AM.
crakarjax is offline   Reply With Quote