The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2024, 10:39 PM   #1
elorenzof

66 c10 radiator and fan shroud

Hi all,

I have a 66 c10 that had a straight six but now has a v8 sbc. I need suggestions for a radiator and fan shroud combo. The fan shroud I purchased is too wide for the radiator even tho it's a 66 c10 fan shroud. Not to mention the new shroud would wrap around to the left and right side of the radiator with upper and lower holes for mounting it to the sides of the radiator. Any suggestions or ideas?
elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:46 PM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: 66 c10 radiator and fan shroud

If you want to use the correct v8 fan shroud, you'll need to also use the correct v8 radiator and set it in the correct spot on the top of the crossmember. The inline 6 radiator sat between the frame rails and was skinnier. You will also need to run the correct short water pump to work with the factory type shroud. You can buy the upper v8 mount and side baffles for the shroud from a couple of the typical suppliers. I think someone also sells the lower mounts for the v8 radiator.

Don't do what the previous owner of my truck did. He hacked the frame rails up to fit the v8 radiator in the inline 6 spot, big sad.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:16 PM   #3
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
If you want to use the correct v8 fan shroud, you'll need to also use the correct v8 radiator and set it in the correct spot on the top of the crossmember. The inline 6 radiator sat between the frame rails and was skinnier. You will also need to run the correct short water pump to work with the factory type shroud. You can buy the upper v8 mount and side baffles for the shroud from a couple of the typical suppliers. I think someone also sells the lower mounts for the v8 radiator.

Don't do what the previous owner of my truck did. He hacked the frame rails up to fit the v8 radiator in the inline 6 spot, big sad.
I just recently removed a 250 inline 6 from my 66 in favor of the v8 variety and the picture shows how the radiator was mounted. My rad wasn't between frame and had the baffles. Now with what you've said im thinking my truck was originally a v8 because the only modifications I made was thinning the rubber in the mounts to accept a chubbier aluminum 3 core rad. The baffles bolted to the v8 shroud perfectly.
Attached Images

Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:36 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy nutcase View Post
I just recently removed a 250 inline 6 from my 66 in favor of the v8 variety and the picture shows how the radiator was mounted. My rad wasn't between frame and had the baffles. Now with what you've said im thinking my truck was originally a v8 because the only modifications I made was thinning the rubber in the mounts to accept a chubbier aluminum 3 core rad. The baffles bolted to the v8 shroud perfectly.
Some trucks (such as those equipped with the RPO V05 heavy duty cooling option) used the V8 type radiator with inline sixes.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote