The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
siggyfreud

Parts you wish existed for the 67-72 C10?

Hey all,

I'm starting the process of slowly trying to build myself into my dream career. I've been a project manager/consultant for most of my adult life, and am can see myself reaching the end of my rope for it.

What I really love is building things, especially in the automotive space. I'd love to have a YouTube channel that focuses on retro car builds infusing modern technology.

I'm beginning to make investments in some prototyping tools, like a high-quality 3d printer.

There are parts I already have in mind for my 72 Pro-touring projects, one being creating custom grill inserts that will funnel air into a closed intake box that would replace the battery location, and the other to funnel air into an aux cooler on the other side for something like an oil cooler, or power steering/hyrdoboost cooler.

I have some interior parts I'd love to make, as well as a replacement for the cargo light that will serve as a cargo light, 3rd brake light, and camera holder.

I'm curious if there are other parts you wish existed for your project rides, or parts you've used that you wish were different or better. I'd love to build a backlog of items I can iterate on, and eventually test with to see how I can create a niche in this space.

I'll also be at SEMA this year to do additional exploration if anyone else is going.

Cheers all!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #2
weim55

Re: Parts you wish existed for the 67-72 C10?

HUBCAPS!

HUBCAPS!!

HUBCAPS!!!

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

I'd love to see quality cup holders and also power locks for our trucks. I know power windows exist.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
cornerstone

Very cool. Today I saw an ad for a 3D printer that makes metal parts. Manufacturing is changing so fast and becoming cheaper quickly too. Good luck on your new venture... I'll be thinking about what needs to be made.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
hubcaps!

Hubcaps!!

Hubcaps!!!

Steve weim55 colorado

yess!!!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

I looked high & low for a stainless steel cap for the tailgate edge. Some catalogs list them but they say they are no longer available.

George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #7
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Very cool. Today I saw an ad for a 3D printer that makes metal parts. Manufacturing is changing so fast and becoming cheaper quickly too. Good luck on your new venture... I'll be thinking about what needs to be made.
I'd love to get one of those as well, however they're $$$$$. I think the cheapest I can find is 10-12k, so outside my budget.

I'd like to start with a 3D printer, then probably pick up a CNC Plasma table. Beyond that, I'd likely just partner with a local shop for CNC routing/milling, or to take plastic prototypes into metal.

Are the hubcaps chrome-painted plastic, or were they metal?

Cupholders is eventually on my list as well, but a bit further down.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Hubcaps are a tool & die stamping.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 shorty View Post
I'd love to see quality cup holders and also power locks for our trucks. I know power windows exist.
I put power lock actuators in my ‘70 C10 for under $40. Amazon. Not vehicle specific.
Just have to file the clip for the larger c10 locking rod.
3 years now. Works great.
Posted via Mobile Device
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://gmcpauls.com/custom_accessories.htmWrenchbender Ret View Post
I looked high & low for a stainless steel cap for the tailgate edge. Some catalogs list them but they say they are no longer available.

George
GMC Paul’s has them
https://gmcpauls.com/custom_accessories.htm

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by rockyrivermark; 10-24-2019 at 06:03 PM.
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #11
AussieinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post

George
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=32

They are in stock....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #12
Wrenchbender Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Thanks. I'll check with them again. Last time they didn't have it & said they didn't intend to get them again.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #13
Signkutter

I could be persuaded to kill someone in trade for front lift spindles in 2" to 3" range for a 2wd 3/4 ton
Signkutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:09 AM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signkutter View Post
I could be persuaded to kill someone in trade for front lift spindles in 2" to 3" range for a 2wd 3/4 ton

That would be a tall order on a 3-D printer for sure.......

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Hey everybody, read the first post carefully and you'll see siggyfreud is equipped to start making things using a 3D printer. He's not a manufacturer with a plant full of tools and machinery... yet. You have to consider this when making your suggestions. We all have parts we wish someone would reproduce. That could be a good topic for a thread of it's own.

So to be clear. Are the parts you could make limited to plastic? I don't know much of anything about 3D printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signkutter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
That would be a tall order on a 3-D printer for sure.......

LockDoc
I suppose anything is possible. But there are better things to use to kill someone than a 3D printer

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-25-2019 at 06:57 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hey everybody, read the first post carefully and you'll see siggyfreud is equipped to start making things using a 3D printer. He's not a manufacturer with a plant full of tools and machinery... yet. You have to consider this when making your suggestions. We all have parts we wish someone would reproduce. That could be a good topic for a thread of it's own.

So to be clear. Are the parts you could make limited to plastic? I don't know much of anything about 3D printers

I suppose anything is possible. But there are better things to use to kill someone than a 3D printer

Yup, it sounds to me like he is talking about small to medium size plastic parts.

On that note, I would like to see an under dash stereo bracket that doesn't look like a box. Something kind of swoopy that blends in with the bottom of the dash and uses existing holes for mounting if possible. I was going to make a wood pattern and try making something out of fiberglass but a 3-D printer might be just the ticket for something like that. I haven't done a through search for a while to see if anyone makes something like that yet, but I couldn't find anything last summer.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
OregonNed

Unless they already exist - I would really like a nice jack and handle set like the originals..
Old 10-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #18
67/Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 shorty View Post
I have power door locks on my 67 truck, my alarm guy installed them they work flawlessly
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #19
demian5

Id like to see defroster vents that pop in and stay put after installation.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #20
siggyfreud

I appreciate all the suggestions so far!

To give a little more context:

The printer I'll be likely picking up has about a 13"Lx 9.5"W x 11" H footprint, so it's fairly large by consumer 3d printer standards.

The end-products don't have to be plastic, but I would have to be able to prototype them in plastic. Long-term I'd like to partner with my local CNC shop, as they can take in the files I make.

For something like a raised-spindle, I'd love to do something like that. The problem would be prototyping. I could print it, but I'm not sure I can do a material that would take the static weight of the vehicle. It might possible though if I used a carbon-fiber infused material. I wouldn't drive on it, but I could at least verify dimensions, fitment, and height goals.

Stereo bracket would be pretty easy as well. If you have any sketches or things you can send over, like a photo of where you want something, that could be handy.

I'd like to have the printer shortly after I return from SEMA.

I'm still learning this new program, so ramp up might be slow. But I'm also pretty quick to learn new technology. I have a few years under me in sketchup, but Fusion360 is much more powerful it seems.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #21
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Id like to see defroster vents that pop in and stay put after installation.
Will add that to the list.

I haven't done any heat/ac upgrades on my truck yet, so I'm not sure what the vents/ducts look like under there.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #22
crazyjeenyus

I like what you're doing, and I think this is great. The passion we have for these trucks and sharing ideas is what will drive the development of newer tech.

I have been playing around with Solidworks & 3D printers for the last few years. I imagine you're looking into a Form3 -just a guess.

Personally I think dash improvements / add-ons is where I would start. Any way we can incorporate items of technology / convenience into the dash will improve the driving experience. Don't get me wrong, these trucks are fun to drive as is, but conveniences are quite appropriately named.

Just a few ideas:

- An aux push button bezel that slides into the ash tray cavity.

- Alternate uses for the cigarette lighter location

- iPad / tablet mounting bracket. (Somebody else in this community has already done this and they made the profile match the existing gauge bezel and glove box door. It was really nice - props to them)

- Alternate tail light / marker lenses. There really aren't very many alternate options to stock on these items, and with a nice 3D printer, and the right material, the sky is the limit on what a good designer could think up for these.

- A compartmentalized glove box insert. (A big empty space can easily end up as an unorganized stack of whatever, but an insert could easily be made to section off the space and allow the user to utilize it more effectively)

There are infinite opportunities for customizing, we just need to take the concepts from an idea to actually having a part / assembly installed and in use.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #23
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeenyus View Post
I like what you're doing, and I think this is great. The passion we have for these trucks and sharing ideas is what will drive the development of newer tech.

I have been playing around with Solidworks & 3D printers for the last few years. I imagine you're looking into a Form3 -just a guess.

Personally I think dash improvements / add-ons is where I would start. Any way we can incorporate items of technology / convenience into the dash will improve the driving experience. Don't get me wrong, these trucks are fun to drive as is, but conveniences are quite appropriately named.

Just a few ideas:

- An aux push button bezel that slides into the ash tray cavity.

- Alternate uses for the cigarette lighter location

- iPad / tablet mounting bracket. (Somebody else in this community has already done this and they made the profile match the existing gauge bezel and glove box door. It was really nice - props to them)

- Alternate tail light / marker lenses. There really aren't very many alternate options to stock on these items, and with a nice 3D printer, and the right material, the sky is the limit on what a good designer could think up for these.

- A compartmentalized glove box insert. (A big empty space can easily end up as an unorganized stack of whatever, but an insert could easily be made to section off the space and allow the user to utilize it more effectively)

There are infinite opportunities for customizing, we just need to take the concepts from an idea to actually having a part / assembly installed and in use.
Great thoughts, I really appreciate it.

I'm actually looking at the Ultimaker S5. The quality of the Form3 prints would likely be superior (as are most SLA printers) but the material selection is limited there. With an FDM printer I'm trading a little bit of fidelity for material selection.

I'm looking at a few used units currently, and debating going that route vs. spending more and getting new . . .
Old 10-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #24
Astro-Balls

Smaller Diameter Steering wheel for the '68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Astro-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #25
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Will add that to the list.

I haven't done any heat/ac upgrades on my truck yet, so I'm not sure what the vents/ducts look like under there.
For reference:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=459415

They are left and right and dont stay snapped into the dash for crap. The angle on one could also be changed to be more friendly with the AC and stereo.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote