The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
BarryB

Hey Guys need alittle help on looking at a 64 Panel.

Like stated, I have an opportunity to get a 64 Chevy Panel. I am curious of where I need to look for known rust on these type trucks. Figured you guys could give me a heads up.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!

Last edited by BarryB; 11-22-2007 at 08:03 PM.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
steverino66

Re: Hey Guys need alittle help on looking at a 64 Panel.

Remove the screws and look under the door sill plates even if the rockers look solid.
Look closely at the fender braces behind the front wheel inside the fender's back edge.
Bottom edges of the kick panels, inside where the floors meet the corners, and underneath the battery and its tray. Where the inner fenders meet the radiator brace.
May be others specific to panels? Good luck.
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:02 AM   #3
BarryB

Thanks for the info Steverino66. I am hoping to make a trip over and take a good look at this truck this weekend.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

Two rules in life.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
55dude

knowing where the panel spent its life helps. bought a "california truck" had so much hidden rot from being on the coast even the "A" pillars were junk! a mil-magnet from the autobody supply will expose lots of hidden nasty things and don't forget to check the frame for repairs. make sure the frame has not been changed. take extra people with you, extra eyes see more things.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
BarryB

not sure where the truck has lived most of it's life, All I do know that it was used as a flower delivery truck. So hopefully it hasn't had a hard life.
And it hasn't been restored so the rot shouldn't be hidden.

Two rules in life.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The rear wheel opening lip is an area specific to Burbs and panels that rust. Unlike pickups they have a double wall there that traps dirt and moisture
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
BarryB

Well Guys, I went over and tried to look at this panel, but the owner had the barn locked. But I was able to see threw the slats onn the sides. it appears to be in really good shape. What I could tell, There is some rust in the rocker panel just in front of the rear tire on drivers side. (only side I can see at the moment.) So I am anxious to really check it out.

Two rules in life.