The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
mattpiotr

Engine Oil

Whats your take on High Mileage Engine Oil? i just did a resent oil change on my 86 350 and i used Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine Oil, 10W40 and a NaAPA Gold filter.
mattpiotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
beamn7

Re: Engine Oil

Well, I've never been much of a "snake oil" guy but I will say, back when they first came out with "high mileage" oils, I was still running the tired 305 in my 85 and she had some leaky valve seals. Every morning it would puff blue smoke rings. Started running the valvoline high mileage and within a week it stopped puffin'. Ran it like that for another couple years until I yanked it for the 355. I would say that's a testiment to the seal condtioner / sweller and I would imagine that the friciton modifier additives dont hurt.

I run Schaeffer Oil in my rigs now. Have a lot of fleet customers running it in the gassers and took a tour of the plant in St. Louis, continue to review hundreds of oil samples within the fleets and am sold on it....
All but got rid of dad's piston slap on his 01 4.8L (early gen 3's known for this) and increased mileage in his by 2mpg and in my 05 5.3L by 2mpg. Like I said, I'm not one for snake oil stuff but this blew my mind and no, I don't work for them....

I'd say the high mileage stuff would be good for you, especially if it's the original motor.
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote