The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
CVA59

What do you do when.............

What do you do when you cannot decide on a paint color for the truck and the engine? I am about ready to assemble, paint and install my engine for hopefully the last time. I am clueless as to what color for the engine and truck. I want them both to somewhat match but i am just not able to come up with anything. I am even considering doing the truck in primer. Ideas?

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 04-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Revoh

Re: What do you do when.............

You can't go wrong with factory colors.

My car blog, for your reading pleasure.
Revoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Non_Sequitor

Agree with factory colors. There's a bit of nostalgia there, and it seems to be more and more popular - especially with the real odd-ball factory colors - these days.
Non_Sequitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
CVA59

Good point. I just like so many color combinations that i just can't make up my mind. I will try the factory color angle and see if that helps me.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
awbrown

construction equipment yellow or cat yellow ... I think my next truck will be wheatland yellow.. I am partial to white .. aw maybe a two tone...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
CVA59

I have also been considering this:

White Exterior with red side trim insert
Red engine and red interior

What do you guys think?

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

When in doubt, always paint it black! Done correctly it shows off all the beautiful sheet metal curvature better than anything else. Of course it's a pain to keep up, and I might be biased since all my personal cars and trucks have been black.

When I worked at Peterbilt back in the 70's, the default color was always white. When the custom paint specs didn't arrive in the paint shop on time they always painted everything white. It was a threat that put terror in the heart of many a saleman that couldn't obtain a decision from the customer in a timely manner.

But seriously, if I had to pick a "color" it would either be GM Marina Blue, or 65 Mustang Twilight Turquoise. The Mustang color was very popular back in the 60's and looked fantastic on these trucks.

http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/images/1965-ford-ppg.jpg
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
What do you do when you cannot decide on a paint color for the truck and the engine?
I am with you CVA59... red oxide, tan, red, orange I can't decide. The only thing I know for sure is the top of the cab will be white. Everytime I think I know I see a truck painted another color and the flip flop starts.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
CVA59

That's me, when i think i might have something to go with i see another truck in a different color and then i get all "wishy washy" on my decision, LOL.

Mark..... I have always like the Marina blue also. Dad had a 65 Vette painted that color and it was beautiful.

My engine color is very important to me also. I am not real fond of black for the engine. Yet, Chevy orange tends to clash with most other body colors (except orange of course).

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
My engine color is very important to me also. I am not real fond of black for the engine. Yet, Chevy orange tends to clash with most other body colors (except orange of course).
Chevy Orange is THE only color to go with... unless you are doing a numbers matching restoration.. IMO. I mean its called "chevy" orange... how could you not use it
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

My son has always been a fan of fire engine red on the engine, regardless of brand. I've always preferred black myself, I just thought it looked striking with aluminum valve covers and intake covering the top of the engine. But for the most "show off" value I really like engines painted body color. It displays the most details and can be beautifully accessorized with chrome or aluminum pieces. Of course if it's a stock restoration it needs to be "correct", but I suppose that's why I'm not a restorer. I find the end result too restrictive.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
T Smith

I'm painting the new bullit I'm building black, I'm tired of looking at Chevy orange, always bet on black...
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
jocko

i'm on the chevy orange bus for engine paint - i think it looks perfect with ANY color truck... But that's just me.

As for the truck itself, I agree with many of the above that a factory color is best if you can't decide. Many a painter has looked back on a "custom" idea with "ok, I tried that, now what am I gonna paint it next time? and soon..."

But for a twist - so it's "kinda" custom, I have always liked the idea of "other year, but still factory" colors. To that end, I cast my vote for wheatland yellow, with white top and side trim. WITH an orange engine. To me, that would look awesome - it's a later year chev truck color (early 70's it was called "wheatland yellow" but it's gone by other names in other years), it's not something you see every day, and it would look good with an orange engine (or matching wheatland, or chev blue, or even gray - I personally think the engine always looks better when it's some color other than body color - again, pers preference only).

But picture that - a wheatland yellow, white top (and side trim if your truck has it) and I think you've got a super lookin truck. But Marina Blue doesn't suck either.... Especially with maybe a pearl white top and side trim!

Last edited by jocko; 04-05-2011 at 10:47 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
rahatawa

not sure i will ever be to the point when i am close to paint and having to make a decision. I have played in photoshop until my eyes have bled, dreaming of color combinations. My favorite period correct but not chevy correct color I decided on and will license out.... VW mango green

i think it would look stellar on a truck with the off white roof color as well and in the trim... some day.

General idea. go with something at least from the 60's even if its not a Chevy color. Those colors seem to suit the trucks better. Nothing against the pearls and metallics and crazy bright colors they just don't seem as "right" to me. that is just my opinion.
rahatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
CVA59

I like all you guys ideas. I am actually going an old school theme. I am running the old Cragar S/S wheels, M/T valved covers, Edelbrock XC-8 crossram intake and original 3 speed tranny. Basically i am after the gasser image without the straight front axle, LOL.

Tell me what you guys think about my color idea, I got this basic idea from the old 55-59 Cameo truck colors:
White Exterior with red side trim insert
Red engine and red interior

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 04-05-2011 at 09:39 PM.
CVA59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #16
Dan in Pasadena

Sounds nice. I'd suggest you go easy on the red in the interior. A little like the seat will look great. Too much and it'll be, "Nice, if he'd only cooled it on the red interior!"

One additional cent over my first $.02: Use a white that is a BIT off white so its not stark and gives it that era-correct, soft feel.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #17
Rich 5150 69

I used industrial equipment paint, stainless steel, slightly dulls out, looks to be gun metal gray after time.
Attached Images

`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
towersddg9

What's up Zack, I'm in the same boat on the color, I finally got my frame back from the coater started hanging everything, I dont like the mounting studs for the upper control arms I picked up from LMC, other than that all is good
Attached Images

towersddg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
CVA59

Dang it man! That frame looks sweettttt!!! Wished i could have PC'd mine but the cost was just too much for me. Your project is looking awesome!!! Keep the pic coming.

Yes, all these guys in here have offered some great ideas on paint. However, I know that no matter what color i go with i will say to myself after the fact: "crap i wish i would have painted it ---- color". LOL.

Everyone check this link and look at post 4027. Can you tell me what color code this tan is?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...07362&page=162

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 04-06-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Chevy Orange is THE only color to go with... unless you are doing a numbers matching restoration.. IMO. I mean its called "chevy" orange... how could you not use it
This is where I'm torn. While I love nothing more than a solid Hugger Orange, looking at the paint code for my truck and it's listed as Yellow (but it looks very orange to me) and from what I've read, orange wasn't offered until later (69?).

I need to double check the plate, but I think mine was originally 81348 "Yellow".

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorli...truck-pg01.jpg

Not to hijack, but I have been fighting with color lately myself.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210

Last edited by jimmydean; 04-06-2011 at 12:18 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #21
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post

Not to hijack, but I have been fighting with color lately myself.
No sweat. your not hijacking. Glad i'm not the only one with this delima, LOL

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 04-06-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #22
clemdaddy

i think that somewhere i saw a chevy 327 painted medium grey from the factory. anybody else seen a fact grey engine color from chevy? i bet this would look good with your aluminum valve covers and intake. and maybe cast iron exhaust manifolds... 2¢
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #23
Surfdaddy

I like teh 60's two tone paint in not so popular colors. I'm going with the lighter yellow and white on mine. I on my 59 boat I did torquise and white. Looked pretty good.
1966 Caprice 2dr
1970 VW Squareback
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #24
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

For the engine I swear by "NuCast Grey".... I am sick of looking at Chevy Orange as well (although I am really liking the color Rich used above).

Paint it, clean up the brass freeze plugs, install black oxide bolts with chrome valvecovers and, BAM!

Frame and chassis parts? Black. Engine compartment? Black.

I have finally decided on the colors for my truck and regardless of what else I see I am sticking with it just so I am not tempted to entertain other ideas and derail what I have already planned.

Off White with '11 GMC "Grey Green Metallic.

Last edited by blackedoutharley; 04-06-2011 at 03:12 PM.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #25
CVA59

I also like the color of Rich's motor. I may look into that as well.

Rich........... Do you know the brand and color code you used?

Clem.......... I like the gray and metal colors as well. I also love the Chevy Orange but for some reason i just can't bring myself to using that color for this project.

It seems to me if i were to paint the truck say; red, green, yellow or blue. The orange engine would clash. Maybe that's just in my head. i don't know, LOL. I could see an orange engine in a white, black, tan or gray truck ok.

www.23t.weebly.com