The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
Hey Boss, let's shave'em

Tell me what you think of this idea:

I will be doing something a little different with my suicide doors than the usual put the latch in the door thing. I am going to build a housing similar to the one pictured below with the solenoid and latch inside for easy access when the solenoid goes out. I have been doing a lot of reading on the shaved door handle subject and have decided to mount some manually operated handles inside the cab. This is mainly for the security of having a way to open the door when the solenoid does go out. I am not as concerned about power failure as I am with solenoid failure. Besides…What are the chances of both solenoids going out at the same time? I may put an external cable underneath also… I haven’t decided.

The handles I have decided to use are 69-82 exterior corvette handles (the push down type). I plan on mounting them under the dash on each side of the cab. I can then fab up a cable to run inside steel brake line through the B pillar to actuate the latch… all concealed under the dash and behind the housing. So what do you think? Anybody have any detailed knowledge of the workings of these handles? I’ll be ordering some soon to see if I can make them work.
Attached Images

Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I think you are finally thinking now. It would be insane to have shaved door handles and not put a mechanical release inside. Imagine having an accident that destroys your battery and catches your truck on fire, or kills the battery and you fall in a river. What are you going to do?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Suicide-D

the accident thing opens an entirely new can of worms… that I haven’t worked out yet. I was planning on using electric deadbolts more or less. Anybody know how to wire them up where they lock on ignition and unlock when power is removed from them?

I know there is a way... I just haven't researched it yet
Attached Images

Last edited by Suicide-D; 03-31-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
68LSS1

If you plan on running a alarm, that will take care of it no problem. Here's some ways to wire the relays: link.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

As for the hidden cable ... Most of the people I have met in truck clubs in the past will wire out to two side-by-side contact points in a hidden location on the truck. All you do to get the door(s) to pop is push a 9v battery against. The two contacts. Basically, you're adding power to the circuit that goes to the door solenoid.

I hope this makes sense.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
twigg

Well I don't know much about doing suicide doors but my brother owns a minitruck shop and hes done 1000's of them and he always uses bike brake cables as a mechanical popper. He did one on his S-10 where the line ran to the front of the grill where the chevy emblem was so you pull the emblem and the door pops open.

I don't know if you are going to run a secondary locking mechinism because my bro did one truck and the kid wanted to drive his truck before it was finished and my bro told him not to but the kid took it anyways and he was driving on the freeways and his girlfriend didn't close the door all the way and the door went flying.

This probly doesn't help you but It always helps to point out the safty side.

I also really like those corvette handles and would really like to see pic of it when it is done
twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:19 PM   #7
ehjorten

Another idea is to wire the mechanical release to a lock cylinder like what you might have on a garage door. You use a key to unlock the cylinder and pull it out. The cylinder is attached to the manual cable release. This gives you a security device on your release mechanism. You could possibly fit the lock cylinder into the bottom of the rocker panel or something; that way you wouldn't see it when looking at the truck.
Slammed, Custom IFS and IRS
Money?...Too Much!
ehjorten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:44 PM   #8
Suicide-D

68LSS1: I am going to be using a keyless entry that has the extra channels. I’ll have to add the relays. Thanks for the link

Shifty: I do know what you mean. I was considering using the 4 plug trailer harness (disguise) and have a plug that plugs in to provide power and a push button.

Twigg: That’s what those deadbolts are for… I have no plans of throwing all that work down the freeway. And I'll fully document it on my site.

Ehjorten: that’s not a bad idea… I ‘ll work on that also. I was thinking a t-handle in the middle of the truck… my truck is so low it would have to jacked up to get to… but a key in a little more accessible location is better.

And I just ordered the last item I was waiting on to get started on this…. My 1 piece windows!!!!

Last edited by Suicide-D; 03-31-2005 at 05:47 PM.