The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
42_NATO

Birthday exhaust

So my birthday is coming up this week and i mentioned to my mom that she should buy me some glass packs as a gift. And testerday afternoon i was looking down there and realized the truck only had glass packs on there and i was confused y it was so quiet. After deciding to cut them right after the cab under the bed.i noticed the pipes were crush at least 1/2 way threw in several spots. The truck sounded cool for a total of 3 hours after that it was annoying me lol. This morning we went to oreillys to buy tge glass packs. . but ended up just getting thr thrush turbos instead. My mom gets a discount and i ended up getting 2-2" for 51 after taxes. The reason i went with turbos instead of glass packs to try and get a nicer tone.

I have another question for the experts. Im thinking of just using those exhaust hanger clamps to peice it together and wasnt sure if thats a good way to go or should i be getting it welded up?

Ill try to post pics and sound clips
42_NATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
42_NATO

Re: Birthday exhaust

[[URL=http://s650.photobucket.com/user/hector5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151129_104053512_HDR_zps4erucevk.jpg.html][/URtoURL=http://s650.photobucket.com/user/hector5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151129_104133338_zpsmkordyxa.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s650.photobucket.com/user/hector5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151129_104125937_zpskypzd91j.jpg.html][/URL

Well I test fitted them and the stock pipe is slightly smaller than the 2" muffler so I'm thinking I can just put use clamps to put it together and once I get a chance take it into work and just weld it myself and save me a trip to the muffler shop. I will also be cutting up a few pieces from the old setup to make a side exhaust instead
Old 11-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
vince1

This is one of the times I would be going to the muffler shop to do it once and do it right. Spend a few bucks now and enjoy for a long time.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42_NATO View Post
[[URL=http://s650.photobucket.com/user/hector5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151129_104053512_HDR_zps4erucevk.jpg.html][/URtoURL=http://s650.photobucket.com/user/hector5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151129_104133338_zpsmkordyxa.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s650.photobucket.com/user/hector5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151129_104125937_zpskypzd91j.jpg.html][/URL

Well I test fitted them and the stock pipe is slightly smaller than the 2" muffler so I'm thinking I can just put use clamps to put it together and once I get a chance take it into work and just weld it myself and save me a trip to the muffler shop. I will also be cutting up a few pieces from the old setup to make a side exhaust instead
IMO always get the exhaust welded up those clamps are worthless and will not hold enough you WILL lose a muffler while driving been there done that . also the clamp only set up leave exhaust leaks so you never truley get an idea of the real sound they put out .... as far a turbos go they will be really tame and quiet on a stock engine if you dont have a good amount of compression to make them sing ... but they hardly ever do because they are not ment for high HP engines they have way to much BP back pressure for that ... for now get those you bought welded up and hung .. then save up some cash and buy a set of headers and some high flow mufflers like flomaster or borla and to tame those a bit if you dont want it really loud run the pipes out back past the rear tires
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
42_NATO

Thanks I will get them welded on . u mentioned I needed enough back pressure . the stock pipe is shy under 2" is that not small enough to make back pressure
Old 11-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42_NATO View Post
Thanks I will get them welded on . u mentioned I needed enough back pressure . the stock pipe is shy under 2" is that not small enough to make back pressure
no no what i said was that Turbo mufflers hardly ever really sing loudly because they have to MUCH BP unless they are put on a high Compression engine high HP Horse Power . but that they are not used on those engines very long because the BP is way to much for a high HP engine .. best way to explain this is this ... get you a straw put it in your mouth and blow through it . you can blow through easily ... no BP but do it again and start to slowly pinch the straw you will find you can blow through as easy and its harder that is BP and to much for a high HP engine if those where used on High Hp engine its would be like suffocating it ... so in my first post what i was trying to say was if you are looking for that deep hotrod rumble and if you are on a stock engine and stock exhaust manifolds then those thrush turbos will be pretty quiet because they have alot of BP in them ... not that you dont have enough ... so if you want a nice tone low deep hot rod rumble .. to save your money up and buy headers and some flowmasters of borla mufflers and it will have less BP which increases flow and HP and Tq
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote