The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2018, 11:41 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Freeze plug leaking

Just about ready to fire it up and BAM, got a leaking freeze plug on a brand new crate motor. I bought the motor in 2014 and, due to circumstances beyond my control, it has been sitting since then. Yesterday I filled the radiator and today, there was a puddle of fluid under it. After a bit of looking I determined it was coming from a freeze plug on the front of the motor. I called the engine builder and they said it could have happened because of the motor not being run since the 45 min break-in time they did. I'm not sure I agree with that. They told me to buy Blue Devil leak stop and that would fix it. Anyone here ever have problems like this with a new motor?
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:43 AM   #2
andyh1956

Re: Freeze plug leaking

Is it a NEW engine or did your "Builder" "Build" it? if your builder built it then you prolly don't have new "Core Plugs" in your engine.
Your "Builder" didn't do you any favors by advising you to pour stop leak in your "New" engine either!
Now anyway if the leak is on the front of the engine is there any chance that the water pump gaskets are leaking?
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Since it is on the front, it shouldn't be too bad to change it. That's what I would do. But this also makes you wonder if any of the others may start leaking.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
jayoldschool

Wow, don't use stop leak, really bad advice. Get it knocked out, pop in a fresh one with the correct sealer on it, and watch the other ones. They should have put new ones in (correctly) with your rebuild.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
The Rocknrod

Anyone that's been around an engine long enough will see or encounter a freeze plug leak, new and old engines alike. It happens. I wouldn't use stop leak either. But your builder isn't at fault for a freeze plug leak I'm sure, too many variables. You have time since the engine's been there since 2014, drain it and get all the accessories out of the way and go to work. Only pics I could find (not mine). Also get the ones under the engine mounts.

The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
61K10

My new crate 350 from GM (from south of the boarder) had a front one under the engine leak from the get-go. Put a new one in and it leaked. Finally fixed the third one with sealer. Could not find any ridge in the block, maybe just out of round? It was just a weep

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Had a buddy who bought a full engine kit from PAW (no longer around) and they only thing they did was install the freeze plugs. Everything else, you assemble from the kit. We built the engine, checking specs on everything. All together and installed. Fired it up and as it warmed up, bam it spits out a freeze plug. Pulled the engine and replaced them all with a little sealer. Never had a problem again.

Don't use stop leak in ANYTHING. You and future buyers will thank you for it.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #8
'65 chevy lover

Appreciate the replys. No, I'm not going to use stop leak either. Luckily, this ones in the front, I just hope none of the other ones start leaking. No one said, but is there any validity in the builder saying it could have started leaking from not having fluid in the system?
Edit: I'm a little worried that when the engine gets warmed up the first time that there might be other freeze plugs that let go.

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 01-26-2018 at 11:51 PM.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
...Edit: I'm a little worried that when the engine gets warmed up the first time that there might be other freeze plugs that let go.
There is a way to alleviate that worry.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
Indian113

I agree, If it was me I would pull the motor back out and replace ALL of them Now. Then I would have piece of mind and know I had at least Tried to do the right thing. Good Luck
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote