The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
MMM...BRAINS...

to bag or not to bag, that is the...

...question.

I know this has been asked before and i've been reading it all, but i can't make up my mind.
1st, this build is a DAILY driver in Houston. when i say daily, i mean my only means of transportation.
my original plan for my '49 1/2 ton was to bag it. i'm currently doing the S10 frame swap right now and getting ready to start setting up suspension.
i love the look of these trucks low. was never planning to "lay frame" or anything, just low.
but with all builds plans and ideas change. i still love the idea of being LOW but having the ability to adjust that if needed.
BUT, i also want to be able to drive the living $hite out of it...and the further i get into the build the more i want to put some decent power in front of this truck and i want it to handle w/out worry.
i'm now wondering about just going with a nice leaf or coil over set up (rear) and good drop spindles/springs up front and running it reasonably low.

The question/idea is:

Adding something adjustable, like air ride, is also going to add something else to maintaine. (bags, tank, water trap, comperssors, valves, etc.)

is that worth it?

I swear, the amount of time i spend changing my mind,....i could build 2 trucks!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
MMM...BRAINS...

Re: to bag or not to bag, that is the...

OR,....is a correctly set up air ride system just as reliable as a spring type suspension?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
cajundragger

air setup correctly is reliable as anything else.

with that said I still wouldn't do it. Its just the hassle of not being able to get in it and go. your going to get tired of it.

all my buddies drive dailys that are bagged and they just leave them aired up 100% of the time and drive them like regular static dropped trucks.

I do admit I am biased though because I have only ever had a modified daily and I'd kill for something stock(but cool) to drive everyday.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
mr48chev

I think you hit it pretty well when you asked about "something else to maintain". The ability to raise the truck when you need to to clear a driveway ramp or rough section of road would be nice but a guy seems to learn how to maneuver a lowered truck pretty quick to avoid getting hung up.

I've seen more than one thread on the different forums where someone is stuck somewhere with a blown bag or line or compressor problem that has made the vehicle so it can't be driven.

I've never understood the "look at me I made my truck look broken" philosophy of laying frame with a bagged car or truck. Laying flat on the ground with the wheels cocked at angles that makes the truck look like a refugee from a Dukes of Hazzard jumping contest.

I intend to run some overload style bags on the rear of the 48 just to be able to keep the truck sitting at the static ride height that I want it at when I load up my duffel bags and cooler or hook onto the teardrop.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
MMM...BRAINS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
air setup correctly is reliable as anything else.

with that said I still wouldn't do it. Its just the hassle of not being able to get in it and go. your going to get tired of it.

all my buddies drive dailys that are bagged and they just leave them aired up 100% of the time and drive them like regular static dropped trucks.

I do admit I am biased though because I have only ever had a modified daily and I'd kill for something stock(but cool) to drive everyday.

see, thats exactly what i've had in my head...it looks cool aired out and parked. but i don't know if thats what i want for a daily. don't get me wrong, i like them LOW, but the more i get into the build the more i'm willing to sacrifice "the look" for realiabilty. at least on a daily.
thanks for the input cajun.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
MMM...BRAINS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I think you hit it pretty well when you asked about "something else to maintain". The ability to raise the truck when you need to to clear a driveway ramp or rough section of road would be nice but a guy seems to learn how to maneuver a lowered truck pretty quick to avoid getting hung up.

I've seen more than one thread on the different forums where someone is stuck somewhere with a blown bag or line or compressor problem that has made the vehicle so it can't be driven.

I've never understood the "look at me I made my truck look broken" philosophy of laying frame with a bagged car or truck. Laying flat on the ground with the wheels cocked at angles that makes the truck look like a refugee from a Dukes of Hazzard jumping contest.

I intend to run some overload style bags on the rear of the 48 just to be able to keep the truck sitting at the static ride height that I want it at when I load up my duffel bags and cooler or hook onto the teardrop.
i agree 110%. i like them low, but now on the ground.
AND, not to mention the amount of money i could put towards something else on the truck by not going air ride....that stuff aint cheap. i could build a really healthy SBC with those $$$$
ive been thinking about stuff id like to do with the truck like tow a small camper/trailer, so i'd prob throw some overload bags out back too.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
1952ssr

My 2 cents is regular suspension, not a fan of air ride because it cost so much money and the possibilities of problems. My '52 /s10 is 4 inches off the ground and I would drive it everyday. I have never bottomed out while driving it. If you remove the 2nd from top rear spring where you don't have to use more than a 2 inch block it will ride real good, I added air shocks on the rear and it does ride nice. Although if there is a dead possum in my lane I have to make a lane swap or scrap it on down the road. LOL
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
MMM...BRAINS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952ssr View Post
My 2 cents is regular suspension, not a fan of air ride because it cost so much money and the possibilities of problems. My '52 /s10 is 4 inches off the ground and I would drive it everyday. I have never bottomed out while driving it. If you remove the 2nd from top rear spring where you don't have to use more than a 2 inch block it will ride real good, I added air shocks on the rear and it does ride nice. Although if there is a dead possum in my lane I have to make a lane swap or scrap it on down the road. LOL
yea, my next step is to tackle the rear springs as you mentioned. i need to get some axle pads (i'm going f*$! 9in on the rear end) and mock it up and see how the wheels center up in the rear fenders. i'm kinda picky abt that. haha.
i'm a huge fan of your truck BTW! i love the stance,....its exactly what i want. like you said, just gotta learn how to drive it i guess.

thanks for the input.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
MMM...BRAINS...

thanks all! i pretty much already had my mind made up as far as NOT running bags, just needed a lil nudge that direction. haha.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Daze57

well if you ever come across another truck AND you have the time and resources - you could make that a project for the future -a ''bagged truck' then you have the best of both worlds -
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
MMM...BRAINS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952ssr View Post
...If you remove the 2nd from top rear spring where you don't have to use more than a 2 inch block it will ride real good, I added air shocks on the rear and it does ride nice. Although if there is a dead possum in my lane I have to make a lane swap or scrap it on down the road. LOL
while i haven't even looked at it, but ive considered running a rear crossmember+trailing arms setup like LEEVON did in his build. i've got a setup from another truck i have that i could use.
granted LEEVON used a stock AD frame and i'm on an s10 frame...i'm not even sure it would work, but it may be worth looking into....
Old 12-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
BlueJeep

I'm building mine static dropped for the reason of simplicity. Leaving the leaf springs in the back leaves plenty of room for the stock s10 gas tank in the stock location, and the stock spare tire in the stock location. It's also cheaper to leave it alone. Mine isn't as low as some here are, but it's low enough (for now)

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
cajundragger

I wouldn't factor reliability in the decision.

Do it right the first time and maintain it and its good to go. 18-wheelers and trains run these systems and they go millions of miles. The systems aren't inherently unreliable like most feel, but people make them that way when they cop out on parts and the install.

my longest road trip is New Orleans to pigeon forge going through Memphis and I didn't have tools, extra parts or any worries and mine is bagged and lays body hard.

On a driving aspect alone its too much to daily. the new accuair setups help alot with drivability but even so once you start laying it down every time you park and lifting it back up you are cycling the crap out of everything so your maintenance time and costs go way up. On a daily when sometimes I may not have time to play with it I want things simple.

My daily(besides my harley) is a 2000 GMC extended cab that is static dropped 6/9 on a 31" tall tire. That's what I've driven for the past 7 years and I'm even sick of that. It gets to a point where you just want to get in the truck and go out to dinner. Dodging pot holes and small road debris is so old and repetitive.

So honestly I wouldn't even static drop it that low. I'd say lowest part @4" or so would be perfect. Any lower and its just a pain after 2-3 years.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
MMM...BRAINS...

Quote:

Do it right the first time and maintain it and its good to go. 18-wheelers and trains run these systems and they go millions of miles. The systems aren't inherently unreliable like most feel, but people make them that way when they cop out on parts and the install.

my longest road trip is New Orleans to pigeon forge going through Memphis and I didn't have tools, extra parts or any worries and mine is bagged and lays body hard.

On a driving aspect alone its too much to daily. the new accuair setups help alot with drivability but even so once you start laying it down every time you park and lifting it back up you are cycling the crap out of everything so your maintenance time and costs go way up. On a daily when sometimes I may not have time to play with it I want things simple.

My daily(besides my harley) is a 2000 GMC extended cab that is static dropped 6/9 on a 31" tall tire. That's what I've driven for the past 7 years and I'm even sick of that. It gets to a point where you just want to get in the truck and go out to dinner. Dodging pot holes and small road debris is so old and repetitive.

So honestly I wouldn't even static drop it that low. I'd say lowest part @4" or so would be perfect. Any lower and its just a pain after 2-3 years.
Its not so much the reliable part as the maintaining part. i know a properly set up air ride system can and will function great.
but now i'm thinking simple may be better.
4" is the lowest i would push it, maybe not even that low, but close.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
BlueJeep

Quote:

Perfectly stated! This is also the reason I don't drive my lifted Jeep on 42's too much any more, it's kind of a production to drive it anywhere simple (out to eat, etc.).

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

There are many pros and cons of an adjustable suspension, but reliability should not be a consideration. A properly designed and installed system is just as reliable as a static drop suspension. As Cajun mentioned there are thousands of trucks, buses, RV's, etc riding on air logging millions of miles with little or no maintenance.

Combine air suspension with a management system that includes ride height sensors and you have a suspension that will give you a comfortable ride and several pre-set heights with the push of a button.

Don't be scared away from air suspension by all the misinformed naysayers that prefer to interject their biased opinions.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
MMM...BRAINS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
There are many pros and cons of an adjustable suspension, but reliability should not be a consideration. A properly designed and installed system is just as reliable as a static drop suspension. As Cajun mentioned there are thousands of trucks, buses, RV's, etc riding on air logging millions of miles with little or no maintenance.

Combine air suspension with a management system that includes ride height sensors and you have a suspension that will give you a comfortable ride and several pre-set heights with the push of a button.

Don't be scared away from air suspension by all the misinformed naysayers that prefer to interject their biased opinions.
I totally understand and agree 100%. I guess my thing is more about simplicity. AND $$$$ is also a factor. I'm one of those "go big or go home" types. If i was to go with air ride I'd want a total 100% set-up. I really like the Ride Tech. E3 system with height sensors....but right now the money just isnt there for that type of system. and at this point id rather build a nice affordable suspension and put that money else where. I can always go air later, right.
Another BIG thing for me is the "get in and go" aspect. I know i don't have to put it down everytime i park, but damn it looks cool!
And yes, it is just as reliable as any other suspension (set up properly), but it does add another thing to maintain (or at least be aware of), like purging the system every so often, checking water traps, etc.

Now, i'm sure i'll change my mind about 1,000,000,000 more times on this, but i think for now i'm gonna try and put together a NICE static drop set-up and see how i like it. i can always change it later, besides,....these trucks are never really "done" are they?